Author Topic: TACTICAL LEVER ACTION  (Read 118191 times)

Ron J

Re: TACTICAL LEVER ACTION
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »
  I agree 100% if I had to choose between an expensive or a cheaper gun and had money for training I would do the latter. I guess I see it that most lever guns are too expensive. I would probably buy a cheap semi and get some training.  So I guess we agree. ;D

"... most lever guns are too expensive."?  You can buy a pair of Marlins in 44mag AND 45.70 for less than a Springfield Armory M1A or a S&W MP15T. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2008, 02:39:55 AM »
"... most lever guns are too expensive."?  You can buy a pair of Marlins in 44mag AND 45.70 for less than a Springfield Armory M1A or a S&W MP15T. 

AK's run around the same, but, DON"T GET THEM STARTED AGAIN  ;D I will say this about lever guns, No mags to lose or fail .

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »

AK's run around the same, but, DON"T GET THEM STARTED AGAIN  ;D I will say this about lever guns, No mags to lose or fail .

tubular mag failed on my Win. 30-30. when the end cap and spring went flying and that spring was never seen again. Just saying man.
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

Ron J

« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »

Yep ... LOL!  You're right Tom!!!

But I can't resist ...  ;D

Here's a little test for those of us who own both or have access to both lever guns and semi-autos.  Next time at the range or out shooting, set both your semi and lever gun down in the way in which you would store or keep it at your home.  Have a friend time you to see which rifle you can get into battery AND hit two targets at say somewhere between 50 and 100 meters the quickest.  Whichever gun you find you can get on target with the quickest and most accurately is the one you should probably pick. 

That's the practical side of the discussion.  Goes to what a lot of the writers on this thread have commented to, what rifle you can accurately shoot is what is important.  Secondary is whether or not you think your zip code is going to be invaded and you need the sustained firepower to hold off a platoon strength foe. 

Don't get me wrong.  I really enjoy my M1A Scout.  Just saying lever guns can perform as well today in protecting the home as they did protecting the ranch 100 years ago. 

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »
  that is still too expensive when you can buy a Hi- point carbine, or other "cheap carbines for far less. A good SKS is cheaper!
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Sponsor

« Reply #105 on: Today at 06:48:59 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2008, 03:35:39 AM »
  that is still too expensive when you can buy a Hi- point carbine, or other "cheap carbines for far less. A good SKS is cheaper!

I can't stay out darn it ;D  This is strictly about long guns.  What exactly do we mean by tactical ?  If we're starting the revolution, I want AT LEAST my AK (prefer something belt fed except the M-60) Tract house on a 75 x75 ft lot with neighbors all around shotgun because you want to kill your target only, not include some poor shmuck 2 blocks over. If you live in a more Rural setting, your target is just as likely to be a critter after livestock as a burgalar after your property, I can't speak for your area but we have BEARS in NH, I would settle for soft point 7.62 x 39 in my AK because thats what I have, but when argueing about my dumpster with a 400 to 600 pound bear I would feel better with a 45/70 and they don't make those in semi auto. (Thats probably a good thing ;D )

Ron J

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2008, 08:02:47 AM »
Tom you hit the nail on the proverbial head with your last post.  Using the right tactic & using the right tool.  Just because it is “black” or that 6 billion Chinese have used it doesn’t make it tactical. 

And … I like the idea of a semi-auto 45/70!  With a 5 round or 10 round magazine, 20" barrel.   

tombogan03884

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
Tom you hit the nail on the proverbial head with your last post.  Using the right tactic & using the right tool.  Just because it is “black” or that 6 billion Chinese have used it doesn’t make it tactical. 

And … I like the idea of a semi-auto 45/70!  With a 5 round or 10 round magazine, 20" barrel.   

I bet you want the Drum mag for your Saiga shotgun too. You are a glutton for punishment   ;D   actualy my only objection to that is that the drum costs about the same as the gun.

Ron J

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »
I bet you want the Drum mag for your Saiga shotgun too. You are a glutton for punishment   ;D   actualy my only objection to that is that the drum costs about the same as the gun.

Don't have a Saiga but if I did, I would want the drum! 

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2008, 06:13:51 AM »
Does anyone make a light holder that attaches to the tubular mag?  If so, where could I find one?
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk