Author Topic: TACTICAL LEVER ACTION  (Read 116696 times)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: TACTICAL LEVER ACTION
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »
There is one advantage to a lever gun, it can be reloaded and kept full on the run without dropping a magazine or opening the bolt. You don't have to carry spare magazines just ammo.

This "advantage" has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread. I have to call BS on this one.
If you are topping off 2 or 3 rounds, a big maybe. It's also pointless if I still have 17 - 27 rounds left in my mag.
Anyone who thinks they can top off their lever gun with 4-5-6 rounds faster than I can change a magazine is either being dishonest or hasn't used an Evil Black Rifle very much. And I don't have to open the bolt. 

I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I put a Trijicon Reflex sight on, with an ARMS quick release mount, and it is really fast, don't need batteries, works day or night. I will get a XS tri rail for it. As of now it is Tiger striped dura coat and I will have to redo that when the rail is attached. Once I have the rail, then a light system, ( probably a Safariland ) Laser, good single point sling system and bipod will complete the rifle. Sounds funny don't it.

Yes it does. Let me know how that bipod works out for you on a lever gun.

You have taken the advantage of the LA carbine - light weight, slim, quick handling - and want to turn it into something that has lights and lasers and a cheese grater forend on it? My God!  Why?
The same could be said for the folks who take their EBRs and turn them into 13 pound anchors with enough shi stuff  hanging off of them to qualify for a department store...or the Ninja store...at the mall.

The only thing I like is the reflex sight, and depending on mount height, without a cheek pad you lose your cheek weld on a stock that has any drop at the heel like all lever guns have.
Easily fixed but still has to be addressed. I needed it on my 44mag Marlin, YMMV.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
Well KMitch, I've been using AR's and AK's for 30 years and I say I can top up a lever rifle quicker than you can change mags, and if I cant I can just pull the trigger, shoot you and go back to the topping up that you so rudely interupted, and THATS not being dishonest.  ;D

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
After carefull consideration it seems that a lever rifle may never run out of ammo if the ammo is in hand (or pocket) simply because there is no mag to replace. also no clips to feed it into the weapon. So as long as you dont run it out you will always have one in battery. A magazine fed rifle even if you dont run it out and do a mag swap will have one in the chamber. So I call it even with enough magazine changes and enough topping off in the lever , its a push.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
Well KMitch, I've been using AR's and AK's for 30 years and I say I can top up a lever rifle quicker than you can change mags
As I said, a couple of rounds maybe.  More than that, no.  Unless you happen to carry your spare mags in a backpack.  ::)

if I cant I can just pull the trigger, shoot you and go back to the topping up that you so rudely interupted, and THATS not being dishonest.  ;D
None of my EBRs have a magazine safety. This point is beyond moot.

As 2HOW opined, it's pretty much a push.
There is no distinct advantage - unless you run the gun dry. Then the lever gets passed by technology.

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »
Actually the Lever rifle ( Carbine to be technical) was  The FIRST tactical rifle, a direct ancestor of the AR and AK, and was used as such by several regiments during the Civil war. I believe one regiment was equiped by the Army as an experiment, other regiments were equiped privately. Also a  2008 back issue of American Rifleman (March ? )had an article about Winchester model 94's issued by the US Army during WWI.
Magazine fed, intermediate caliber (compare the ballistics of .30/30 and 7.62X39), carbine. Thats an Assualt Rifle, self loading technology simply had not caught up yet.
Beats the HELL out of a Trapdoor Springfield !

Sponsor

« Reply #125 on: Today at 06:54:33 AM »

rjsixgun

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »
Let us not forget TR and the Rough Riders and there 1895 Winchesters!!

The Russians also armed themselves with the 1895 Winchester in 7.62x54r.

tombogan03884

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »
Let us not forget TR and the Rough Riders and there 1895 Winchesters!!

The Russians also armed themselves with the 1895 Winchester in 7.62x54r.

Actualy TR himself was the only one with a Winchester 95, The rest of the Rough Riders carried .30/40 Krag rifles.

rjsixgun

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
According to many sorces, many of the Rough Riders carried 1895 Winchesters in 30-40 Krag. Although I dont believe they were standard issue, standard issue was the Krag and 2nd issue was the trapdoor.

I've heard that they were bought by TR himself, and I've also heard that they were the personal arms of the soldiers.

Either was it's another lever used in battle.

Ron J

« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2008, 07:43:08 AM »
Winchester 94's were used in WW2.  NRA did an article on it a few months back on some were used for "homeland security" or guard work. 

Also had heard once that there were Winchester 94's Trappers on some submarines too.  My understanding was that they painted them black to be tactical.   ;D

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »
This is a great thread, after reading all the posts and seeing the picks, I now have a desire for a LA! Thanks fellas.  :P
I will have to say about the home defense issues though, I don't care what gun it is, better that I can get to it and use it than not.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk