Author Topic: AR parts kit  (Read 14896 times)

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR parts kit
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »
 I built two lowers using the tutorial  at ar15.com mentioned here by others, the uppers I bought were complete. Don't break your lower installing the roll pin and don't lose any little pins or springs.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
Another useful tip I found was to put the lower in a plastic bag while putting in the springs and dentons that might shoot out of the lower otherwise.  Saved me from losing the spring and denton for the front retaining pin. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 01:54:50 AM »
Same here  ;D

nupe

• 4/19/1775
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »
I have a question about bolt carriers.  I know that you can get semi auto and auto, but I was reading the description for both and the both say that they are for semi auto ar15s and m16s.  So I'm just wondering if a guy can put the auto bolt carrier into a semi auto ar15 and still have it functional and legal.

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:39 PM »
I just built my first AR. I was very nervous, but it went fine. Most everything mentioned above is good advice, but to add to these; Watch the videos on Brownells, Consider buying Potterfield's video from Midway USA (it's only $15 and very informative), the pivot pin detent spring tool is a LIFE SAVER (I put my first pin in about 60 seconds w/no problems), a roll pin starter would be a good idea (You can start them w/o it, but it seems easier w/it. I'll have one b4 my next build), I don't have roll pin punches, just regular ones, and they worked fine, I just used my hammer testing block to support the trigger guard (it's made of plastic). In the words of Tiger, Just do it! and have fun!!!

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:08:09 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
Congrats on the build bjtraz,
would love to see some pics!!!!!
 ;D

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
NUPE, yes you can use the full auto bolt in a semi-auto rifle, the main difference is it is heavier, it does not have the scallop cut in the side you can see when the bolt is closed and dust shield is open. The extra weight, slows the cyclic rate. But you do need to be careful, go to the ATFE web site, and you will find a list of components that if a certain number are present in your rifle, whether it is full auto or not, constitute an NFA, weapon. The full auto bolt can be seen from the outside and prompt an inspection. Never seen it happen, but you never know who you might be shooting next to.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
So looking for LPK myself, but I don't want the trigger group or the grip.   Looks like if I might have to spring for a "standard" kit and just shelf the extra parts.

Wish someone would put together a parts kit but let you select your trigger and grip.   Hey MIDWAY, CTD, BROWNELLS that would be a great way to sell triggers.   

"For only $1 more will add a complete parts kit to your Timney Trigger.  For $10 more add an Ergo or Magpul grip"

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Cutter68CB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
So looking for LPK myself, but I don't want the trigger group or the grip.   Looks like if I might have to spring for a "standard" kit and just shelf the extra parts.

Wish someone would put together a parts kit but let you select your trigger and grip.   Hey MIDWAY, CTD, BROWNELLS that would be a great way to sell triggers.   

"For only $1 more will add a complete parts kit to your Timney Trigger.  For $10 more add an Ergo or Magpul grip"

I have been able to sale most of my extra parts thru ebay and Texas gun trader...But I also like keeping a few extra springs and etc. around just in case of a failer...
(Prepare for the Worst and Don't always expect the Best!!!)

nupe

• 4/19/1775
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
m25, I'm having a hard time finding that list.  Do you have the link?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk