Author Topic: .22 Mag Ammo designed for pistol use  (Read 6884 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .22 Mag Ammo designed for pistol use
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Given more time, I think that Hornady Superformance ammo will eventually trickle down to handgun ammo..... They figured out a way to make the powder more efficient and are getting like 20% velocity increases with it for rifles and w/o increased recoil or muzzle flash. Once they start using it for handgun ammo, you are really gonna see some significant performance increases with short barrel carry guns and mouse guns
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 04:43:54 PM »
 A friend had a AMT .22mag auto that was an interesting gun to shoot but I don't know how it solved any problems. Somewhere I read that it was about on a performance level with the .38spl but I have never seen that again.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
A friend had a AMT .22mag auto that was an interesting gun to shoot but I don't know how it solved any problems. Somewhere I read that it was about on a performance level with the .38spl but I have never seen that again.

Was it fun?  If so, it solved a probolem: you, not having fun.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 08:04:38 PM »
 Sure it was fun, how often do you get the chance to shoot a .22mag semi with a 3 inch barrel? I don't even know what AMT called that little jewel, its the only one I have ever seen.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
Sure it was fun, how often do you get the chance to shoot a .22mag semi with a 3 inch barrel? I don't even know what AMT called that little jewel, its the only one I have ever seen.

Automag II. My brother has one with about a 6" barrel.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:16:32 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 09:21:06 PM »
Automag II. My brother has one with about a 6" barrel.

22 Mag was just one of the Calibers it was offered in.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
Here's the Automag II-V family. http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg178-e.htm
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ms1212

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »
Let's broaden this a bit: is there .22lr ammo designed for pistols?  Is there 9mm,.40S&W, or .45ACP ammo designed for carbines?  You'd think they could have a faster (than normal) burning powder for the pistols, and slower for the carbines.  I assume that if there's a huge plume of flame when you fire your gun that the powder is burning too slowly. (e.g. .30 carbine in a pistol)

I have often wondered that as you said in a broader sense. There are many carbines that share handgun ammo and it would be so much better to have a more tailored ammo for long guns and handguns. To me it would not be that much of an undertaking to customize the burn rates for specific applications. If you shoot certain ammo in lets say a T/C it almost looks like you have a mini flame thrower. That is very inefficient. I guess the demand is not there but if people understood how much velocity & energy is lost when shot in the wrong barrel length, it may be there.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk