Author Topic: First Female WWII Airforce Pilots Get Gold Honor  (Read 2685 times)

Johnny Bravo

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First Female WWII Airforce Pilots Get Gold Honor
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »

First Female Airforce Pilots Get Gold Honor: 'I Never Thought It Would Happen'
Women Airforce Service Pilots of World War II Receive Congressional Medal, Six Decades After Service
By HUMA KHAN
WASHINGTON, March 10, 20

When Dori Martin and Marylyn Myers Peyton joined the U.S. Air Force in the 1940s, little did they know that they would one day become a part of history.
Myers Peyton
Marylyn Myers Peyton is seen in this WASP "Class of '44" photograph. Peyton was one of the 1,074... Expand
Marylyn Myers Peyton is seen in this WASP "Class of '44" photograph. Peyton was one of the 1,074 Women Airforce Service Pilots who were awarded the Congressional gold medal today for their service to the United States. These women were the first females to fly military aircraft for the U.S. armed forces. Collapse

Martin, 88, and Peyton, 86, were part of the thousand or so women who were recruited as civilian pilots in the U.S. military at the height of World War II. These Women Airforce Service Pilots -- better known as WASP -- became the first females to fly military aircraft for the U.S. armed forces.

"We never thought of ourselves as making history," Martin said.

Today, nearly 66 years after their service, the first fly girls will be awarded the Congressional gold medal.

"I never thought it would happen," Peyton said of the recognition.

"It's wonderful," Martin said. "Nobody even knew about us."

About 175 WASPs and more than 2,000 representatives of deceased WASPs attended the ceremony on Capitol Hill today to accept the Congressional gold medals, which rank with the Presidential Medal of Freedom as the highest civilian honors bestowed for courage, service and dedication.

"You gave all that you could to save the United States of America and the world that was at war," said Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., who sponsored the bipartisan legislation to grant the award.

"You fly high and into the sky," she said. "Today, instead of giving you the gun, we will give you the gold." : 'I Never Thought It Would Happen'

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: First Female Airforce Pilots Get Gold Honor
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »
Great story, JB.

God bless them...shame it took this long for proper recognition.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »
Great story, JB.

God bless them...shame it took this long for proper recognition.
Very cool. I agree it took too long to get them this honor they earned. The real sad thing is that female personell, WACs and WAVEs etc, were not covered under the GI Bill. A lot of gals who served in support positions (which we all know are as vital as the guys on the front lines) didn't get the same opportunity to better themselves their male counterparts did. Its easy to dismiss this stuff as "feel good" fluff, or, if you're more cynical to say, "yeah that's great, but it's a day late and a dollar short, and where were you when it mattered"? Still its like the the Vietnam Wall. It too may have come 20 years too late, but its not just about honoring our vets. Its reminding ourselves that we F@cked up and need to make sure never to do it again. Just my .02.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:22 AM »
 Any body remember Jackie Cochran ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Cochran

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »
Saw that on the news last night.  Thought it was a great honor just to see these brave women on my tv while they are still breathing the same air I breathe.  Thought it was about time they got proper notice.  Thought it was a shame they had to wait this long.
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Sponsor

Re: First Female WWII Airforce Pilots Get Gold Honor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:00:39 PM »

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »
About time!!  Truly great women and long over due!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
Some of those girls landed ferried planes in England and turned them over to male pilots who had much less flight time than they did.

jframesmith

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »
'Bout freakin time!  Used to watch a gal named Sue Parrish perform at air shows in a pink P-40 Warhawk. She was well into her 60's & 70's performing barrel rolls, and aileron rolls and stuff.

True Patriots all of them.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Definitely about time, 1 of my clients mother did that, I cannot remember which part of the service she was in, but she flew to the UK a lot. A very sharp lady maybe 18 yrs ago, and would now be in her 70's - 80's. She passed it off as nothing. Her son is 1 of the most musically talented, nice guy, good for nothing bums I ever met. Perfect pitch and could play any stringed instrument. Never had a job, he gigged some, and hung out at pawn shops and fixed equipment for trade. Smart guy, but totally off the grid, ( now that is not necessarily a bad thing ) probably still driving his 1974 Volvo 144, which is how we met.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
Each and every one of these women deserved this recognition long ago. From Rosie the Riveter, to every single woman who has served and sacrificed since than, they do their duty, serve their country with distinction, and I'm very glad they were finally recognized.

God Bless Them All.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk