Author Topic: Ruger Revolver Action  (Read 23690 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger Revolver Action
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 06:21:13 AM »
Some times buying sight unseen will bite you. ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
Some times buying sight unseen will bite you. ;)
Yeah, no kidding. I figured I was safe with what is basically a Ruger GP101. Just goes to show you!
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »
I have done many Ruger Revolvers in the GP100 series  and have all you need to know and do on a format that I can email to you . I guarantee that you will be pleased.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »
jaybethel,

I have had to return 2 Ruger Vaquero's and a Red Label. I have more Ruger's than any other single brand but their QC does not seem consistent. One of the Vaquero's had the action lock up and you couldn't cock the hammer. IIRC, Ruger replaced about all the innards on that gun.

I had an Interarms Walther PPK that I had to return twice before it was fixed. At least all three of my Ruger's came back repaired!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 02:40:52 PM »
Well, we took the GP161 out today and it operated flawlessly. The sights were way out of whack, but the action was smooth as butter. It is now a very happy gun!

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 11:46:27 PM »

jerry

• Active Forum Member
  • Life is short, treasure each day
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 08:59:05 AM »
Something must have happened to that gun. It came from Bud's Gun Shop in Paris Kentucky. Good prices, but by the time they ship to my local dealer and then I get the NJ treatment, I saved exactly $20 over if I had just had the local guy order it and paid sales tax etc.  AND I couldn't bitch at the local guy either.

Jaybethel,  if possible, always buy local.  Everything mechanical is man made, and sometimes they just don't work like they're supposed to.  When you do have a problem, your local dealer is there for you.  When you buy local, you keep that local company in business.  Your supporting someone in your neighborhood that likes the same things you do. 

Most times that guy in the far away town, that is almost always cheaper, you purchased from is after one thing, your money.  They figure if they can make a buck off you they will never see you again.  I'd be willing to bet that if you bought local and had a problem right off the bat, when you took it back to the dealer, he would have taken care of the problem for you as long as he wasn't the southern end of a north bound horse.

Just my two cents.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 06:20:33 AM »
Well, here we go again. The gun was working great. After about 300 rounds now it's started hanging up again where the cylinder won't turn or you can rotate it by assisting it with your hand while you cock the hammer. It started when we were firing some wadcutter factory reloads- there were some steel casings in there and a couple of times it was obviously the particular round that was causing the problem.
Trouble is, we had some hangups as well with regular factory Federal .38 SP. I'm thinking maybe whatever they did at Ruger to fix it is deteriorating as we fire more rounds through it.

It looks like a headroom problem, or maybe a problem with the crane? Granted, the wadcutter ammo sucked- but with factory Federal there shouldn't be a problem- the blackhawk and the S&W 686 worked fine with the same box of Federal, but not the GP161. It's frustrating.
So I actually muttered the phrase, "Maybe we should trade it in and get another one", but wifey wants THAT GP and wants to try to get it fixed or have them replace it.
We're calling Ruger again today.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 06:24:49 AM »
Timing problem??
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:49 AM »

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 07:38:08 AM »
Timing problems occur when the sear (?) is not properly engaging the cylinder to advance it.  (Saw this on a Midway USA commercial!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk