Author Topic: Strange Stock Coatings - (along the line of strange lubricants)  (Read 2902 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
So while talking about different lubricants, how about what people put on their stocks.

Paint....yes.   Linseed Oil...yes.   Tung oil....yes.

Shoe polish?   Floor polish?

Having stripped several surplus M1 Carbine stocks, I've found numerous layers of "gunk".  Having had close a personal acquaintance with GI floor polish, I'm fairly positive that some layers I remove just that.......floor polish.   (While some guys were made to dig and fill latrine trenches, I spent a fair number of hours stripping and re-waxing floors as penitence for my mis-deeds.)

And I'm also sure some layers were brown GI shoe polish.   GI's were/are very resourceful and will use whatever's available.

Anyone else found interesting stock "coverings" or "coatings" especially on surplussed guns?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Strange Stock Coatings - (along the line of strange lubricants)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »
1960's trunk paint, has a black and speckled aqua to it.

Used it myself, truck bedliner spray or brush on, not bad if it comes out matte black, and has a good texture. Look at one of Badgers post, his came out very well.

I have seen many appliques, meaning different types of tape, usually in camo pattern of some type, cheap and looks cheap, not to mention glossy.

Burlap, wrapped around a rifle, very old technique that works, really well, I have thought of doing it on my sniper rifles and hunting rifles, with a twist, Use fiberglass resin to apply, now it is more or less permanent, and would have a very aggresive texture.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
Fornsby's finish remover, available at most hardware stores, brought a literally black 1850's walnut "kidney" table back from the abyss.

I bought it at an antique shop for $50.00, the clawed feet, the arches in the base, and the small trim around the top, made me look twice.

I took some Fornsby's to it and it literally wiped away the decades of wax, oils, polish, and crap without damaging the any of the wood.

The most robust marbling and grain appeared, and nothing but oil goes on it now. My Winchester, Mauser, and old Ward's Western Field .410, and Stoeger Coach 12g,  all have been revitalized, by this simple step.

If its wood, FWIW, I stick with wood products. One day, when I get the courage, I will be consulting m25, on refinishing my grandfathers 1891 original Mauser.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »
Have not tried it, but an antique furniture buyer friend of mine, said use GoJo, hand cleaner, non abrasive and does cut old oil finishes well. FWIW
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »
I've read about guys using oven cleaner to help strip and clean the cosmoline off milsurp rifles, but have not tried it myself.  Also read where guys where using Ritt fabric dye to "stain" stripped birch Ruger 10-22 stocks over at Rim fire central .com
Have seen some stocks texured painted with some of the stone or pottery looking rattle can paint that is available.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
Have not tried it, but an antique furniture buyer friend of mine, said use GoJo, hand cleaner, non abrasive and does cut old oil finishes well. FWIW

that makes sense as they are both a lipid ( fat, wax, or sterol)  mineral spirts works pretty good, but it can be a mess.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk