Author Topic: Has anyone got or tried a Taurus 92 pistol?  (Read 3663 times)

dgray64

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Has anyone got or tried a Taurus 92 pistol?
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »
I have several pistols and am really interested in the Beretta/ Taurus 92 series.  They have a long barrel for accuracy, and the Taurus has a "cocked and locked" type safety.  This is all hearsay, but the Army has used them for 20 yrs so I want to try one...just hate to spend the money if I won't like it.  Dilemma.  So I thought I'd ask those who were most likely to have tried this type pistol.  Thanks.

Dave     ;D

hawkeye1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Has anyone got or tried a Taurus 92 pistol?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
Beretta 92.  I love both of mine.  9mm and probably the smoothest shooting guns I have ever shot.  Love  them.  Dont hesitate to get one. 

storm1911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:22:59 PM »
A friend of mine is a P. I. who has carried the Taurus version of the 92 for nearly fifteen years, and he swears by it. Not at it. It has never given him trouble, he says.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
They are good solid 9mm pistols. My friend had two taurus'es, model 92's. We use to shoot head to head. I would shoot my Glock 34 against him. My G34 was dead-on at 20yrds and he was always pretty close in his groupings, although not quiet as good. We swithed guns and got the same result. Then we switched to reloads and repeated the process again. Amazingly the Taurus really came alive with the reloaded ammo, as did the G34. So, if you do get a 92..get some good ammo and you'll be in business. I am a big Glock fan. But, out of other gun makers out there that I've tried, the 92 was one of the best. One thing I didn't like was that the trigger engages (catches) further back than Glocks etc.. some people like that and some don't. I have also heard stories about the Beretta's model 92/96 being a little better in accuracy than the Taurus model 92/96, but they look to me like the same thing. Dunno if that helps any...  but that's been my experience with them.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I like the safety/decocker position much better on a Taurus, but the Beretta itself isn't so bad, as it's spring-loaded.

Sure, the Taurus is big, but it shoots super-soft (as does the Beretta 92).  The Beretta 92, though, is one of the smoothest guns I've ever held.  Then again, I have no problem with a DA first shot.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:57:20 PM »

azazal911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »
I only own one handgun, and it is a Taurus 92 in Stainless Steel.  I carried a Berreta in the military as a cop, and I carry my full sized taurus in a deep concealment shirt holster by 5.11.  Great guns and for the price they can not be beat.  the thing i like the best is the low recoil due to a lighter slide...makes double taps a dream.  I shoot IDPA, and will soon be a NRA certified instructor.  My Taurus will be right there with me showing people how to be super safe and still ready to go at any moment.  the de-cocking lever and hammer down carry for a double action first shot is (in my opinion) the safest, and best way to carry.

Plus you can buy one for 350 to 400$ if you do not like it sell it to me...the value of the gun is not going to drop that much with one box of shells through it.  Try it you will not be disappointed. 
The bullet with my name on it is not the one that scares me, it is all the ones addressed "To whom it may concern"...

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »
I have owned both the Beretta and the Taurus and they are both outstanding 9mms.  I acutally prefer the Taurus because of the cocked and locked feature and the frame mounted safety/decocker vs. the Beretta's slide mounted safety.
Life Member of the NRA

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I really like the 92/96 series, leaning heavily to the 92 (9mm).  The Taurus is basically the 50/60s version of the Beretta with a few updates.  I have a Glock 17, 23, and a 1911 at home and used 92s and Sig 228s at work for a long time.  I actually shoot the 92 a lot better than my own Glocks.  I was also sent to the Armorer class at the factory (just up the road in MD actually) and we shot the PX-4 and 92s with the various control groups.  I prefer the DA/SA F (Safety and decock) or G (decock only) series to the D DAO model.  part of that is the difference in triggers.  Being used to a Glock the reset on the 92/PX-D was totally different.  The trigger "clicks" about the same point but the Glock's is reset while the Beretta's needed another 1/4 in to fully reset.  I didn't think about it until later but the first "click" is probably were the SA trigger is reset but since the D is DAO it needed to be let completely off.  I'd bet the Taurus is the same quality and shoots just as well as the Beretta but is much cheaper.  The difference in triggers (F/G or D) or safety (Taurus on the frame, Beretta on the slide) comes down mainly to training and experience on the gun.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »
I do not own either of these guns but I have fired the Beretta a number of times and enjoyed it very much. This is a smooth operating pistol. If I was in the market for another 9mm I would seriously consider the Beretta- I've just go too many things on my list.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
Being a Mack Bolan author, it's kind of a given that my preference goes for the Beretta, though I've had the Executioner substitute a Taurus 92 on several occasions when he had to acquire guns in the field.

I have video of me wringing out an Inox Beretta 92 with the little "dishing" on its backstrap akin to the Cougar.  Wonderful trigger reach and fit, though the standard M9 grip is still quite comfortable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk