Author Topic: Breakfast Goodies  (Read 6581 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Breakfast Goodies
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
Dutch baby pancake

Serves 4; Prep time: 5 min; Total time: 25 min

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 425°.
In a medium cast-iron or ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium; set aside.
In a blender, combine eggs, milk, flour, salt, vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar.
Blend until foamy, about 1 minute.
Pour batter into skillet; bake until pancake is puffed and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
Working quickly, dot pancake with 1 tablespoon butter, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and lemon juice.
Slice into wedges, and serve immediately.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Breakfast Goodies
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
Cheese Biscuits
Yield: Makes 15-20

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons lard or shortening
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Blend in cheese and lard.
Add milk, stirring slowly to make a soft dough.
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Sausage & Egg Casserole

Ingredients:
6 eggs
2 cups shredded cheese
2 cups milk
8 thick slices Italian bread
16 oz. sausage (12 oz, is also ok)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard

Brown sausage and drain.
Beat eggs, cube the bread, and add all other ingredients.
Mix well with the sausage and pour into a greased 9X13 in. glass baking dish.
Cover and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning bake at 350°(uncovered) for 45 minutes to one hour.
Serves 8.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
Peg, give us your gravy recipe.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
Peg, give us your gravy recipe.

Almost forgot....I didn't have it typed up already like the others.

CAUTION: The Gravy is hazardous to your cholesterol levels.

Sausage Gravy
Best on the open-faced cheese biscuits (or plain biscuits, below)

Use the grease from the drained sausage in the casserole recipe above.
I use a cast-iron skillet for this.
Mix 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour in a cup of cold water and stir until there are no clumps.
Mix into sausage grease over low heat until mixed well and keep stirring until thickened.
Add a 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt...or to taste.
Serve over biscuits.

Plain Biscuits
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk

Cut in lard.
Turn mixture out onto floured surface, knead lightly several times, and shape into a ball.
Roll out to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut with round or heart-shaped cookie cutters or the rim of a juice glass.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes on un-greased baking sheet or in a large cast-iron skillet.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:37:31 AM »

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
CAUTION: The Gravy is hazardous to your cholesterol levels.

Sausage Gravy
Use the grease from the drained sausage in the casserole recipe above.
I use a cast-iron skillet for this.
Mix 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour in a cup of cold water and stir until there are no clumps.
Mix into sausage grease over low heat until mixed well and keep stirring until thickened.
Add a 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt...or to taste.
Serve over biscuits.

Plain Biscuits
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk

Cut in lard.
Turn mixture out onto floured surface, knead lightly several times, and shape into a ball.
Roll out to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut with round or heart-shaped cookie cutters or the rim of a juice glass.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes on un-greased baking sheet or in a large cast-iron skillet.

Thanks, done the same way we make it, just thought your's might be different.

I do love biscuits and gravy!!!  ;D
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
Thanks, done the same way we make it, just thought your's might be different.

I do love love biscuits and gravy!!!  ;D

The only time I make it different depends on the type of meat being cooked. Pork-chop gravy made the same way is really good on mashed 'taters with biscuits on the side.

Dang, makin' myself hungry just thinking about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk