Author Topic: What is wrong with Colt?  (Read 9959 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: What is wrong with Colt?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 06:04:12 AM »
I miss my colt cobra, it was stolen in a break in.

Tab you bring up a point I want to start a thread about. I don't want to hi-jack this one.  Bill T.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
Colt could well be a study for business books...my understanding is that the machinery for the Python line is now at the bottom of that big Chinese damn, sold off as scrap.

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

tekoken

• "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
  • Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »
Colt could well be a study for business books...my understanding is that the machinery for the Python line is now at the bottom of that big Chinese damn, sold off as scrap.

mb

Wow!! That may be one of the saddest things I've ever heard. That should knock a little off our IOU to China.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour." George Washington

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »
I never thought MB would make me cry.  :'(
What about the Detective Special?

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 05:52:42 AM »
Colt has been run by mentally defective slack-jawed dip-shits for better than 30 years! I won't own anything made by them after about 1975 (and it would take a damn good price at that). They use to make some of the finest handguns in the world but they pissed that away trying to compete with the lower end makers and destroyed both their reputations and the finest name in firearms selling garbage. Then they decided to take a note from H&K (i.e. "You suck and we hate you") and only sold to the military, but lacked the bribe money to get the military to buy their junk so now they try and pretend that the leavings from their scrap-metal plant has some value because they are now rare.

Sam Colt would shoot these idiots and piss in the entrance wound, screw them!
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:16:18 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 06:06:56 AM »
Sam Colt would shoot these idiots and piss in the entrance wound, screw them!
Can't disagree with most of that, but I still get a little misty about that Python. Some machines are just machines, but some have soul. If you gave me a thousand dollars and told me to buy a revolver today, it would probably be a Ruger. You won't go wrong. But no Ruger wheel gun I've ever shot, and that's most of them, compared to that Python.
FQ13 who is officially an old fart on this one. Generally, I don't buy the "We don't make them like we used to" line. Here however its true. And more than that its, more a case of "We don't make them like we used to, but we could, and we don't, and I don't understand why". :'(

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »
Colt's AR 15s and Single Action Army Revolvers are still superb, albeit at a high price point.  Their 1911s are not too shabby either.....for example their Gunsite edition.  I would certainly carry that gun any day of the week.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
From Warhawk;
"Sam Colt would shoot these idiots and piss in the entrance wound, screw them!"

Don't be so sure, Sam was a shifty SOB, who partly financed his first factory by selling "Snake oil" and administering ether.
The move from Paterson NJ to Hartford was made because he had politically active active relatives in Conn who could help shield him from the legal proceedings of his Creditors and former workers.
One of the primary reasons for the failure of the Paterson venture was Sam's quest for nonexistant Gov contracts at the expense of civilian sales. Had the Mexican war not come along when it did we would be saying "Sam who ?"

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
It just seems to me, a complete outsider when it comes to Colt, that S&W did the exact opposite of Colt. Instead of banking on stupid "get rich quick" business models by going almost solely after govt bids S&W capitalized on civilian markets and allowed for the government contracts to come to them. Still seems they are following that model. And the fact that the Colt S&W histories are so closely tied to each other just makes it such a case study in good business decisions. Of course S&W has their share of stupid in their history as well. I could be wrong on that, like I said I'm kind of a newb on the history side of things.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
That "Get Rich Quick" business model served Colt VERY well for the first 75 years of it's life. If it hadn't been for Tsarist Russia buying the S&W No.3 (44 Russian), S&W wouldn't exist today. We wouldn't have the 44 or 357 Magnum. I whole heartily agree about Colt management. If they don't diversify their product line for the civilian market, the only Colt products available for you and me will have "Made in Italy" stamped on them.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk