Author Topic: XD(M) 45 released!  (Read 5149 times)

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
XD(M) 45 released!
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »
In my email today:

Dear Valued Springfield Customer,

We have started shipping the new XD(M)™ 45ACP pistol to select ranges across the country. For a list of ranges where you can get your hand on one, please click here: http://extranet.springfield-armory.com/downloads/xdm45range/
This list will be updated often, so please check back frequently.

For information and specs on the new XD(M)™ 45ACP, please click here:
http://extranet.springfield-armory.com/downloads/45Release.pdf

If you would like to talk to Customer Service, please call 1-800-680-6866.

Have a great day,
Team Springfield

Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
Re: XD(M) 45 released!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Big deal the M&P 45 has been available for years! ::)
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
LOL! Don't burst my bubble, the XD and XD(M)s are the only poly pistols this 1911 guy ever liked!  ;)  M more than the XD (too many nice and better little features on it) but I'm a .45 disciple, so I've been salivating for this model.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
Big deal the M&P 45 has been available for years! ::)

And it shoots so very nice. A lot softer then the XD45 from what I experienced. I like the capacity of the XD45 over the M&P but to me the M&P just filled the hand better. I would love to shoot the XDM45 though, I bet it is one hell of a gun.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
LOL! Don't burst my bubble, the XD and XD(M)s are the only poly pistols this 1911 guy ever liked!  ;)  M more than the XD (too many nice and better little features on it) but I'm a .45 disciple, so I've been salivating for this model.

Ha Ha Ha! For a 1911 lover I would think you would love the M&P over the XD! Except for the grip safety I think the M&P is more like the 1911 than the XD!!! ;) I think the mags are also a lot easier to load than the XD. :-\

And it shoots so very nice. A lot softer then the XD45 from what I experienced. I like the capacity of the XD45 over the M&P but to me the M&P just filled the hand better. I would love to shoot the XDM45 though, I bet it is one hell of a gun.

I do have a 14 round mag for the M&P45! It's long a hell but it works great!! I keep it loaded inside my safe for an backup emergency gun!! If I can come up with another Crimson Trace grip for it I'll move it to the bedroom safe and switch it with the 1911 in their.  ;D
Mike Kramer
2AF Life Member

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:34:44 AM »

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:12 AM »
Granted the M&P has the 14 rounder, but in terms of the standard magazine the 13 round XD mag is still small enough to carry. And I had not trouble loading it. It does feel more like a 1911 than the M&P, but barely. And for the record neither feels as much like a 1911 as my SR9, too bad its only a 9mm. In a pinch I trust the M&P way more in terms of betting my life on a gun.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:53:55 AM »
Granted the M&P has the 14 rounder, but in terms of the standard magazine the 13 round XD mag is still small enough to carry. And I had not trouble loading it. It does feel more like a 1911 than the M&P, but barely. And for the record neither feels as much like a 1911 as my SR9, too bad its only a 9mm. In a pinch I trust the M&P way more in terms of betting my life on a gun.

Grip angle is slightly more like a 1911 on the XD.  GUNS-R-US, I shoot para 1911s, XD is maybe a bit wider, but not by much.  The grip design on the XDms just fit me perfectly - with the adjustable straps, I should get it very close to the Paras.

Not dissing the M&P at all, I just remember side-by-siding them, closing my eyes and pointing straight ahead. M&P pointed higher for me every time, not as bad as a Glock though.

I tend to be a point shooter at d ranges and after 25 + years of 1911 grip angle, it's just so ingrained that I'd rather not mess with it. Barely even see the pistol...

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
Went to my pistol range today, and what walked in the door just before me? The range's spanky new XDm .45 .

I broke it's cherry.  ;D

More later, have to get kid to softball...

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
Went to my pistol range today, and what walked in the door just before me? The range's spanky new XDm .45 .

I broke it's cherry.  ;D

More later, have to get kid to softball...

AUH....Poor thing! ::) lol Did you buy it or rent it??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!
Mike Kramer
2AF Life Member

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
I had my XD 45 with me, and was able to compare the two side by side.  First impression is one of much nicer lines on the XDM. The grip on the XDM is definitely superior to the XD, and felt smaller to boot.  I use my weak hand on my XD to operate the mag release, as its design combined with my (relatively) short thumbs prevents me from hitting it with my shooting thumb unless I totally move my grip. The mag release is FAR superior on the XDM, and I could operate it with my shooting hand's thumb. The recess around the release allows easy access to it, and operation was smooth and effortless, even one handed. I think the slimmed down grip helps my thumb reach the release, and combined with the redesigned recess/button this feature alone could be a life saver if my weak hand goes down.

The slide release is a bit trimmer, but with a steeper angled face that was also easier to use than on the XD. The slide action was a bit stiff, but it was brand new.  Racking was about the same for both pistols.

The XDM takes the same 13 round mag as the XD which is pretty nice, as I have 8 mags for my XD.

Shooting them side by side was a good experience. The backstrap was the smallest insert, and this with the new grip makes the XDM and even better pointer than the XD. The sights on the XDM out of the box were low profile white dot notch and post, and after a few shots it was apparent that this gun hit pretty much dead on at 7 yds.  Follow up shots were easy - the grip on the XDM did not allow the pistol to move in my hand at all, something that sometimes happens with my XD. Again, I think the redesigned grip is a great feature.

No failures of any kind with 100 rounds, tight groups  - around half the second  mag in the x of a B 27, rest damn close - so I actually had to start aiming at the numbers on the target because I like to see new holes and paper flying, dambit!

Moved the target out to 50 feet (range max) and point of impact started to show the sights are probably set to lollipop the bulls at 25 yds.

Trigger pull was even with a clean break and a shorter reset than a stock XD, but not as tight as my XD with a Springer combat trigger job. Pull weight wasn't an issue at all, but I could feel it was a bit heavier than my XD, again because of the trigger job.

Those interested in changing the sights to tritium, tritium Truglo, etc, will be happy to know the XD aftermarkets will fit the XDM. Springer also offers XDM trigger jobs, and I'm sure others do too.

I think the XDM .45 fulfills the promise of a more refined XD platform, and the improved functionality and grip sold this pistol to me in about 30 minutes.  Now to scrape up the cash for one once they reach the stores...

AUH....Poor thing! ::) lol Did you buy it or rent it??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Rent, none in store for sale yet.  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk