Author Topic: Huck vs. Mitt exchange on 2nd Am. in yesterday's debate  (Read 6210 times)

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Huck vs. Mitt exchange on 2nd Am. in yesterday's debate
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
I just copied this out of the MSNBC transcript of the debate. It has Huckabee asking Romney about his statements on the 2nd Amendment, gun control, and the AWB. I thought since we don't have Fred anymore (sigh), we need to know more about where the remaining few stand or waffle.

John

Huckabee: Mitt, I would like to ask you a question that came up during your interview with Tim Russert on "Meet the Press." And it has to do with the Second Amendment. You indicated that you support the Second Amendment, but on that interview, you indicated that you also supported a ban on so-called -- and I use the term "so-called" -- assault weapons and supported Brady.

For many of us who are strong adherents to the Second Amendment, that's not quite consistent, to say you're for Brady and so-called assault gun ban, but support of the Second Amendment, because we see that that's really a denial of the Second Amendment.

I would appreciate some clarification on, do you support Brady? Do you support the assault weapon ban? And your position on exactly what restrictions government should put on Second Amendment rights.

Romney: I do support the Second Amendment. And I believe that this is an individual right of citizens and not a right of government. And I hope the Supreme Court reaches that same conclusion.

I also, like the president, would have signed the assault weapon ban that came to his desk. I said I would have supported that and signed a similar bill in our state.

It was a bill worked out, by the way, between pro-gun lobby and anti-gun lobby individuals. Both sides of the issue came together and found a way to provide relaxation in licensing requirements and allow more people to have guns for their own legal purposes. And so we signed that in Massachusetts and I said I would support that at the federal level, just as the president said he would.

It did not pass at the federal level. I do not believe we need new legislation.

I do not support any new legislation of an assault weapon ban nature, including that against semiautomatic weapons. I instead believe that we have laws in place that if they're implemented and enforced, will provide the protection and the safety of the American people. But I do not support any new legislation, and I do support the right of individuals to bear arms, whether for hunting purposes or for protection purposes or any other reason. That's the right that people have.

So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Huck vs. Mitt exchange on 2nd Am. in yesterday's debate
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
WAAAAAY too much political speech there for me.

"I did, but I don't ...I would but I don't see the need..."  Good Lord make up your mind!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Long Armed Devil

• Forum Member
  • Think... then speak
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
Wow, here is what I read,  Mitt said........... BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS ....I'm for gun bans.....BS BS BS BS BS BS BS.......I don't have to worry because if I want ANY gun I can get it, no matter what........BS BS BS

KEY

BS=BULLSHIT ;D ;)

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »
Translation, I'm trying to kiss everybodies butt at once, can't you see the crap on my lips. (wow I got that all out without haveing to put in any #%#$&*)

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
The sad part is over on the Shooting Times 2A forum there is a former Fredhead who can't wait to vote for Romney.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:02:04 PM »

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:07:24 AM »
I think Mitt would make a great.........Secretary of Commerce. I just don't know if I trust him as President. For some reason, I just can't see myself going out and having a drink with the man. ;D

John
So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:48:26 AM »
Romney, McCain, Rudy, Hillary, Obama.  Every stinking one of them are anti-gun.  Huck is the only true blue candidate on the 2nd Amendment left, and I just don't think he has the money and support to hang in there much longer.  Once again, I am voting Libertarian!
Life Member of the NRA

bgarrison

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »
Gov. Huckabee is the only true Pro 2nd candidate we have left that can take on the Clinton Political machine!

Go here to listen to Mike's speech during the NRA "Celebration of American Values" :

http://www.nrapublications.org/celebration/default.asp

Go here to read for yourself Mike's feeling on the 2nd amendment:

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Issues.Home

Here is a quote:

"...But they were still concerned that the system could fail, and that we might someday face a new tyranny from our own government. They wanted us to be able to defend ourselves, and that's why they gave us the Second Amendment."

Ron Paul was invited to the NRA symposium  but did not attend

Cheers
Bert Garrison
www.hucksarmy.com

jj

• I Cast Lead
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Im still waiting to hear on 'Down Range Radio" who MB is for..... Also waiting to see who Fred is going to support. :-\
I forgot to compensate for the natural rotation of the earth.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:10 PM »
How can anyone that sees things like this not get it?!
I just don't see what part of this... that  the gun grabbers DON'T understand? ???

It's only common sense~~not rocket science!
I'm sure most of you have seen this one, but I thought it was worth putting up anyway...
Watch:

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk