Author Topic: AMT Backup .45  (Read 5298 times)

camsden

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AMT Backup .45
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but it seems like a good place to be.  I have an AMT 45 Backup DAO and it is
a good gun but has a heck of a kick.  I am currentlly shooting 230 grain and am wondering if changing
to 185 grain would reduce recoil? 

Thanks to all,

camsden

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: AMT Backup .45
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
I've found in 9mm that the heavier 147gr bullet feels like it recoils less than a 124gr.
The 124gr Winchester FMJ has a muzzle of 1140fps  This works out to a USPSA power factor of 141
The 147gr Winchester FMJ has a muzzle of  990fps   This works out to a USPSA power factor of 145
I would GUESS these use the same amount of powder.

So, you might feel more recoil with the 185gr bullets than standard 230gr.  If you want less recoil, and you reload, putting less powder creates less recoil with the same bullet.  Also, low recoil ammo is available (cowboy ammo, for example), but I don't know if it's available in 45ACP.

Overload in CO
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:30:55 PM »
First firearm I ever fired was an AMT Backup that belonged to my dad. I was 16, and I didn't hit anything with it except the ground, but I had fun. It had like a 12 pound trigger. It was later stolen when somebody broke in our house.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »
As an avid reloader (25 years) Ian tell you this the heavier bullet the LESS recoil . WHY-- lighter bullets have more powder-- more powder more recoil . Example -- a .44 mag with a 300 gr bullet requires a load of H110 of19.5 gr to move  at 1150fps  where a 240 gr bullet needs 22.1 gr  of he same powder to move at about the same velocity. stick to the heaver bullets for Les recoil also you have to consider the small barrel length. Hope this helps.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk