Author Topic: 308 Saiga mags  (Read 3126 times)

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
308 Saiga mags
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »
I'm looking at Saiga 308 mags and need some input.
Midway has the ProMag version for $28. The SureFire versions are $39 to $49, depending on which web-site I'm looking at. Are the SureFires worth the extra, or are the ProMags just an excellent deal.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: 308 Saiga mags
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
Are they both steel, or are the Pro Mags Polymer? Buying aftermarket magazines is usually a total crap shoot. You may get lucky and they'll fit and function fine, or it may be a total waste of money. There is no way to tell. This is always something to consider when purchasing any semi auto firearm. I would buy 1 of each and go to the range with a lot of different ammo brands and types and give them a good shakedown. Then you'll know what to buy. Don't go buy others and what works in their rifles and pistols. It takes very little for a magazine to go from reliable, to worthless.

A good example are Ruger Mini 14 aftermarket magazines. Most don't work at all, let alone work well. But still you can read the reviews on the Midway website, and someone, somewhere will have had good luck with a cheap aftermarket mag that was only given "1 Star" in 30 different reviews, when used in their particular rifle.

I was seriously considering the FNAR semi auto in .308. Again the reason I took a pass is the magazine. They are very difficult to find, and very expensive ($65.00), when you do. When I bought my Rock River Arms LAR-9, 9 MM AR-15 Carbine, I purchased magazines from Pro-Mag, (Polymer), and C-Products, as well as Colt. I got very lucky, all ran fine. One thing I would mention with Polymer magazines is if they are high capacity, they can swell when filled and be somewhat difficult to insert if your magwell is a tight fit. If you do stumble across a certain brand that runs well, look for a good sale from somewhere with a good reputation like CDNN, and buy a ton of them. It's the only way to assure you'll always have a rifle that runs all the time.  Bill T.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 308 Saiga mags
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »
Got a Saiga AK (as you know) ;),  have a box full of Pro Mag 30rd polymer mags... I have had No Issues. I saw the reviews for the Surefire, and the additional cost. The feed lips are kinda sharp, on the thumb, but have been spot on.

Don't know what the specific perks and tweaks Surefire has over Pro Mag.

But my Promags, rock-n-roll.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk