Author Topic: SBR upper on a non SBR lower  (Read 11526 times)

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SBR upper on a non SBR lower
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »
This is an interesting topic and I'm with M-25. I know how I'd read the law since the lower is the registered SBR if I wanted to venture into a state that didn't allow SBR's I think I'd leave it behind and not take the chance. If you can afford to own a SBR, pay the extra $200 etc. why not just put together another lower for your legal upper. I mean you can build a nice lower with top quality parts for under $400 and avoid the issue all together. Keep your SBR in one piece rather than swapping the uppers around. That's what I'd do anyway.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Well, you see I live in a state that does not allow SBRs. I know I can get a .408 Chey Tac that can hit something at 2000 yards, but something that is shorter than 16 inches is going to cause me to loose my mind and become a criminal, because the 1911 .45 ACP does not have that affect on people in Washington. I digress.

Since I can purchase one, I just can't own one in my state, I have to find ways around it. And this is what I think. I could register my lower as a SBR and file the paperwork. Then get a AR pistol. When I am not in Washington, I could legally put the SBR on the lower with the butt stock. because I have a house in Idaho where SBRs are legal, I could then swap it out when I cross the state lines and still keep all my parts with me at either location. The SBR with the longer barrel would no longer be an SBR and the component of the SBR would no longer be part of an SBR because it would become part of the pistol package.

I will have to look carefully at the wording of the laws, but I think I could do it and not get in any trouble, as long as the "Pistol" Barrel never went on the rifle upper in Washington.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »
Well, you see I live in a state that does not allow SBRs. I know I can get a .408 Chey Tac that can hit something at 2000 yards, but something that is shorter than 16 inches is going to cause me to loose my mind and become a criminal, because the 1911 .45 ACP does not have that affect on people in Washington. I digress.

Since I can purchase one, I just can't own one in my state, I have to find ways around it. And this is what I think. I could register my lower as a SBR and file the paperwork. Then get a AR pistol. When I am not in Washington, I could legally put the SBR on the lower with the butt stock. because I have a house in Idaho where SBRs are legal, I could then swap it out when I cross the state lines and still keep all my parts with me at either location. The SBR with the longer barrel would no longer be an SBR and the component of the SBR would no longer be part of an SBR because it would become part of the pistol package.

I will have to look carefully at the wording of the laws, but I think I could do it and not get in any trouble, as long as the "Pistol" Barrel never went on the rifle upper in Washington.

You can own an SBR in Washington, you can't own a full-auto SBR. To get a basic SBR, the best way I'm aware of is to go through the Gun Trust lawyers http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/shortbarreled-rifels-sbrs/ to form a trust with yourself and whom ever else you want to be able to shoot it listed as trustees. By forming the trust you eliminate the need to go through the local law enforcement.
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »
Hey Mike, Thanks!
I have emailed them. Maybe I will see you at a WAC show.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
Hey Mike, Thanks!
I have emailed them. Maybe I will see you at a WAC show.

I try to make them when I can. I probably get to about 6 a year having to work weekends. There's a small chance I'll make it this Saturday afternoon for a short bit, but it will likely be November before I can go for a leisure wall through the rows. Message me when you go. If I'm going to make it let ya know. Good luck! I hope you get it done. ;D
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:12:31 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk