Author Topic: CHEAP PRIMERS  (Read 9218 times)

GASPASSERDELUXE

CHEAP PRIMERS
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »
WIDENERS HAVE ALL THERE WOLF PRIMERS ON SALE NOW FOR $18 OR $19 PER THOUSAND. THIS IS AS MUCH AS $7 TO $12 SAVINGS PER THOUSAND EACH.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CHEAP PRIMERS
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
LINK?

Also, I have never seen WOLF components. If they have anything to do with WOLF ammo, I think I'll pay the extra $10 for CCI.  ::)
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
LINK?

Also, I have never seen WOLF components. If they have anything to do with WOLF ammo, I think I'll pay the extra $10 for CCI.  ::)

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »
I have used the small rifle primers in my AR and everytime they have gone bang.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:29:37 AM »
LINK?

I agree. I like many believe that Wolf ammo and components are corrosive to some degree, regardless of what it says on the box. Remember, this stuff is produced in Russia. They aren't doing the best economically. Typically, they make do with what they've got. Besides, if their product isn't what they say it is, what recourse do you have? It's not like they'll be exactly quaking in their boots over a consumer sponsored law suit. Their ammo is fine in AK-47's, Mosins, and the like, but there is no way I'm running it through a $2,000.00 plus AR-15. To me that is like putting cut rate regular gas in a Z-06 Corvette to save money. False economics, nothing more. If I'm going to take the time to manufacture my own ammunition carefully, I am going to do it with good components right out of the gate. Otherwise what's the point?  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:08:21 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »
What makes Wolf ammo stink in AR's etc. is the steel case that does not obdurate as much as brass, and possibly the coating they put on it.
Neither of these would effect primers.  As hard as they have been to find, I'd at least try them.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:04 AM »
What makes Wolf ammo stink in AR's etc. is the steel case that does not obdurate as much as brass, and possibly the coating they put on it.

It's a combination of all of the above. Wolf ammunition is filthy. A lot of that can be attributed to the powder they use in it's manufacture. The Lacquer and Polymer coating they coat the cases with are another issue. If fired in a hot chamber these coatings can in fact melt, causing difficult extraction. That, combined with the steel cases they use, are hard on extractors.

Back to the primers. I've seen photographic evidence posted on the Internet over the years of rust and corrosion on AK-47's that happened after shooting Wolf ammunition through them without cleaning afterwards. If this is true, (and while I'm suspect of everything I read and see on the Internet, I do believe it to some extent), it is enough for me to stay away from Wolf products, based on the possible rust and corrosion factor alone.

For someone who still wants the cheap shooting Wolf ammo provides, they could simply do a full corrosive ammo cleaning afterwards and they would be fine. There will come a time when Wolf will be more attractive in price than it is today, then it will change peoples perspective on it. But for example, this Saturday Cabela's here in Arizona is having a "Door Buster Sale" and they have Federal American Eagle AE-223 Tactical ammo, (Black and white box), for only $5.99 a box. That translates to only $299.50 a thousand. That's the cheapest I've seen brand name .223 in a long while.

Primers are still a relatively cheap reloading component. If Wolf primers even have a chance of being mildly corrosive, they're just not worth it. Places like Weider's and Natchez still offer good prices on bulk primer purchases from brand name manufacturers like CCI and the like. As long as they do I'll spend the few extra bucks for the peace of mind of knowing I'm getting good, reliable, non corrosive product.   Bill T.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
Neither of these would effect primers.  As hard as they have been to find, I'd at least try them.

One of our local stores had 10's of thousands of pimers, all CCI, small and large rifle primers. $35 per thousand tho.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »
One of our local stores had 10's of thousands of pimers, all CCI, small and large rifle primers. $35 per thousand tho.

3 1/2 cents each is a small price to pay for the assurance every one of your rounds will go bang. I've used American primers for 40 years and have NEVER had a bad one. That is an impressive enough record for me to stick with.  Bill T.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »
 I have had no problem with the Wolf primers I purchased from Wideners last year. Pay more if that is what makes you feel comfortable, I have no issue with CCI and have used them for years but for the difference in price I will be using Wolf for now.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk