Author Topic: Lever Action Carbine?  (Read 25815 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lever Action Carbine?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »
You can pick up a bore light at wally world for @$5.  Worth the investment
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 11:43:58 AM »
You can pick up a bore light at wally world for @$5.  Worth the investment

Except I always forget it when I go to a gun show.  ::)
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »
I have always been fond of Marlin 336 converted to .38-55, but if you are worried about ammo that would not be a good choice.  .38-55 is a great round with bigger bullets that .30-30 and can be shot with BP or smokeless.  If ammo is a concern then I would go with a .357 or .44 mag and carry a companion pistol in the same caliber.  Zombies, deer, or bad guys would fall to any of these rounds.

thomas572

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
Love my hartford in .45 lc same cal as my six gun. Not sure how it's gunna do on white tail but the thing is dead on 100yds and closer.

hollandm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Thanks for the input guys but I was on the road to the show early this morning so didn't read the responses until I returned tonight.  No bore light just did the best I could.  Using a flashlight when I got home the barrel looks good.  The lever action seems smooth and was pretty much the same as others I looked at.  The loading port cover is firm.

Grandson and I probably looked at at least 20 336 in 30/30, lowest price was $275 and it had some kind of weird green stock that had some damage.  Most were in the $300-350 range with some higher.  One of the newest and best was a camoed version with scope from 2002, $300 firm, my limit was $275. 

On the way out we stopped at one last place and the guy wanted to deal.  He had an older one with scope.  The stock isn't beat up but really needs to be refinished.  Scope has a ding in it but works fine.  His price was $325, I offered $250 and he took it.

Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the stock?

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 08:16:21 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
Thanks for the input guys but I was on the road to the show early this morning so didn't read the responses until I returned tonight.  No bore light just did the best I could.  Using a flashlight when I got home the barrel looks good.  The lever action seems smooth and was pretty much the same as others I looked at.  The loading port cover is firm.

Grandson and I probably looked at at least 20 336 in 30/30, lowest price was $275 and it had some kind of weird green stock that had some damage.  Most were in the $300-350 range with some higher.  One of the newest and best was a camoed version with scope from 2002, $300 firm, my limit was $275. 

On the way out we stopped at one last place and the guy wanted to deal.  He had an older one with scope.  The stock isn't beat up but really needs to be refinished.  Scope has a ding in it but works fine.  His price was $325, I offered $250 and he took it.

Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the stock?

Don't lose the screws ;)

Seriously, sounds like ya got a good deal. 

I have not taken the stocks off a 336 but I have on other levers and didn't find anything strange.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
Congrats hollandm, no big surprises removing the stock, you'll find all kinds of new unseen parts, after the stock is off, of lint, dustbunnies, old caked on oil, but it will all clean up fine.

Than:

You can start a new thread and POST SOME PICS!!!!!!! ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
Congrats hollandm, no big surprises removing the stock, you'll find all kinds of new unseen parts, after the stock is off, of lint, dustbunnies, old caked on oil, but it will all clean up fine.

Than:

You can start a new thread and POST SOME PICS!!!!!!! ;D
Seconded! A little photo journal of the steps (including especially screwups) would be useful to lots of us. Thanks in advance.
FQ13

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:31 PM »
Brownell's have excellent schematics for free, very helpful in a pinch.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk