Author Topic: Lever Action Carbine?  (Read 25723 times)

hollandm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lever Action Carbine?
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
Stock removal was easy.  Removing the forearm was not.  The front band holding the barrel and the mag tube was 'glued' on with years of oil...  But I finally got it off.  Stripped the wood today, just ordinary walnut but looks pretty good.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before and after!!!

;D

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
As much as I love my Guide Gun in .45-70, ammo is expensive for it. However it will bring down any creature on the planet with the right load. If you're gonna be hunting bears, moose, or elephants, that's the lever gun I'd get. For an all around defense/hunting rifle like what's mentioned in the OP, The .44 Mag or .357 are good choices. You can take down man, deer, elk, or most any North American game with the .44, and the .357 will easily handle deer or humans, and you can get hot loads that would take care of a bear..  My choice out of the two would be the .357, due to a bit more easily available ammo. Also with the .357, you can use cheaper .38 Special rounds for plinking. One could argue that you could use .44 Specials in the .44 mag, but from what I've seen of .44 Special prices, that wouldn't make any difference. I'd get the .357. I'm personally trying to decide whether I want a Model 92 style, or one of the Marlin 1894's. Leaning toward the Marlin for a supposedly stronger action, but the '92 looks better.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »
Walter, the action on my '92 handles .454 Casuall.  How much stronger do ya need?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »
Well I havent read everyones relies here but I would like to just chime in on this a little. You know 30-30 is a good all around lever-action, but I am going to have to come down to a rifle and caliber that is near and dear to my heart.

I got a .357 mag Puma 92. I really like the idea of .357 in a Lever Action. It kinda can do it all as well. You .38 to train with and keep recoil low to help with learning to run the rifle's trigger. And then go with a .357 UMC soft point ammo to take down pretty much any animal out to about 100 yards.

Then this is my favorite, the federal 130gr Hydrashok self defense ammo. This is pretty much, in my opinion and I do have some experience with this, one of the best if not the best (non semi-auto\battle rifle) and most underrated CQB weapon out there. From room clearing in the house to hunkering down in the designated room and holding whomever off till police arrive, to property defense during a time of social dislocation (thanks Mr. Bane) this can flat out get it done. It is almost like a pump shotgun in the sense you know as long as you rack the lever it will fire. Plus the 92 Clone that I own is not very long, I put it right up there with any 16inch barreled AR. And I feel alot more confident with a one shot knock down at  close range say 10 feet with the .357 hollow point over the .556. Call me crazy I know.

Now take all this with me never shooting a .44 mag lever action. I have heard stories or lawmen carrying one of these in the trunk of their car as their go to rifle before m4 and such became a mainstay. I believe I've linked it before here but Sheriff Jim Wilson wrote an article about this in Guns and Ammo. Who knows for how many years lawmen in Texas and other places carried a Lever Action rifle. So I believe it is a tried and true self defense rifle.

Did we win???

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 04:49:35 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »
Walter, the action on my '92 handles .454 Casuall.  How much stronger do ya need?

How does it handle the .454 Formal?

;D  ;D  ;D nYuck nYuck nYuck  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
Ksail,

Why aren't you at work?!

;D

Good ta see ya on the board, Dude!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »
How does it handle the .454 Formal?

;D  ;D  ;D nYuck nYuck nYuck  ;D  ;D  ;D

HEY!  I resemble that remark!

It's the spell checkers fault! (that's my story and I'm stickin to it! )  ;)

;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
HEY!  I resemble that remark!

;D

Yes...the Formally Casual Cat...........O' Great and felinious maker and drinker of beer and Hazaritas.   ;D

And for the record, the spell-checker don't always catch 'em. My sausage fingers hit more keys than needed and I get to laughing at some of the things that show up on screen myself. And, sometimes we just have to make up our own words and such.  ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »

And for the record, the spell-checker don't always catch 'em. My sausage fingers hit more keys than needed and I get to laughing at some of the things that show up on screen myself. And, sometimes we just have to make up our own words and such.  ;)

Don't sweat it Peg. They might  misunderestimate you or try to refudiate you, but we still love ya. ;D
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk