Author Topic: New Springfield XD9 Vs. Ruger SR9  (Read 34513 times)

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Springfield XD9 Vs. Ruger SR9
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
I went to my local 5280 Armory yesterday to check out the Ruger SR9, and the Sig P250, looking for a good carry piece. I was there for hours. (mostly for the backlogged background Ck. 2 hour waiting time). First of all I was highly disappointed with the SR9. The ergonomics were good. The slide action felt really rough. Not smooth like the glocks, smiths, etc. The trigger didn't work for me. Hard to explain, just didn't feel right. I really wish I could have fired it. It might have changed my opinion a little. The Sig was top heavy, ergonomics were o.k. for my hands. No-one had a clue as to the cost of the modular interchanges. That was a little scary. I wouldn't want to buy 3 guns just to have one if you know what I mean. Then I got to the Springfield XD9. I must say I was quite pleasantly surprised. Great ergonomics, great trigger, very smooth action, high cap mags. All kinds of toys come with it; two mags, holster, dual mag holder/loader/lock, etc, etc.

I took it to the range today. I wanted to try it out as well as my CZ83 and the wifes Sig232 (both .380's) I also took my Glock 19 to make a comparison with the XD9. I definately will still keep the Glock. There's just something about it that works for me. As far as the XD9, It fires very smoothly. The lighting at the shooters station at the range was poorly lit (made it hard to see the sights. Trijicon sights or laser are next on the list) I held a 6" group at 25 yds taking two series of 12 shots, one to the head and one to center mass. I did that purposely because that's pretty close to as far as I would have to shoot in my house if the need would arise. The gun handles recoil very well. I tried some rapid fire 5 shot bursts and kinda went way out there with a couple of rounds (still on the target though). That'll take some getting used to. All in all, i'm quite happy with the XD. I particularly like the cocked and locked indicators on the top and the rear. Handy in the dark.

The thing that impressed me the most: The CZ83 that I had never shot before was absolutely a pleasure to shoot. Extremely smooth and accurate and fits my hand like a glove. If it was a 9 mil i'd never have to buy another handgun. The Sig232 was very light and had a little more kick to it but was deadly accurate. Would you believe a 4" group at 25 yds in the head. With my eyesight? I'm stunned. 8) Oh well, hope I didn't bore you too much. Now I have to go and vacuum the floors. Honey do's and all that rot.

Cheers,
J.C.

Well, that's the story of the four guns i'll never get rid of
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

IvanXD_40

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: New Springfield XD9 Vs. Ruger SR9
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 11:05:39 PM »
I currently own an XD40. Your review on the SR9 and XD9 were very helpful. I was contemplating in buying the Ruger SR9 for a long time. Instead I bought my first rifle. Remington 710 30-06. I like it a lot. Back to your review. I really like how my XD40 shoots, how it feels in the hand, and how accurate it can be. I am still shopping around for a 9mm pistol. But I am seriously thinking about staying in the .40 family. I have considered buying an XD9 to carry conceal. Back to the SR9. I have had a chance to hold one but not fire it. The only thing that concearned me was how light it is. If its that light, the recoil might be more than other 9mms. But I am sold on its safety features, which is why I am still considering the SR9.

Ivan

PS. If anyone owns and/or has fired an SR9, how was it?

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »
XD's are awesome. I think they are very smooth and I like the grip safety feature. Glock is my favorite, followed by M&P's, and then XD's ..all in that order. Only reason I would give the XD third is because I consistently get tighter groups with the others, especially the Glock. But all in all.. You can't go wrong with an XD.. They are well worth the money.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
I have not even seen the SR9 yet.  I do own the XD9 though, in Service length.  I have had it for about 2 years, and just over 3000 rounds.  I have also sent mine out to Springer Precision for the carry trigger job.  After all this, I am still not the best with it.  I have been assured that it is a problem with the way that I pull the trigger, and it may be.  I do not group well with it, and I do tend to pull it to the left (not down and left, straight left).  I can pick up my 1911 and shoot tight groups where they should be.  I can do the same with my CZ-75B.  I can do it with a friends CZ P01 (love that grip).  FWIW, I do the same left thing with Glocks and the M&P.  I have been told that I need to give up my other pistols for a year and shoot the XD only during that time.. but I can't.. :)

I have not had one hiccup or burp from the XD though... :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

IvanXD_40

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
Next time you shoot your XD9. Try "trigger reset" (after firing a shot, hold on to the trigger. Bring it back until you hear a click, then fire again. This has helped me put a tight group with my XD40). To the M&W MP, I have actually considered that particular pistol model as my next purchase. Have fun shooting ya'll.

IvanXD_40

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:00:57 PM »

MightyQuinn

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 01:28:28 AM »
I have been checking out the Sig P226. A couple guys at work bought XD9's (compact and sub compact) and they swear by them. I haven't had a chance to fire them yet, but it sounds like everyone here is impressed with them as well. I'll have to get one to the range and see how it compares to the Sig.

Quinn
"You're off the edge of the map mate. Here there be monsters"

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
Interesting Bidah, I was pulling high left with the XD also. I figure I'm pushing the trigger and pulling it at the same time. I'll have to work on that one. As I said, the station lighting sucked and I couldn't see the sights very well. I did try the point and shoot method without the sights from about 15 yards and held a pretty good group to center mass. I'm sure with a little practice I would do well with it.
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
I went to my local 5280 Armory yesterday to check out the Ruger SR9, and the Sig P250, looking for a good carry piece. I was there for hours. (mostly for the backlogged background Ck. 2 hour waiting time). First of all I was highly disappointed with the SR9. The ergonomics were good. The slide action felt really rough. Not smooth like the glocks, smiths, etc. The trigger didn't work for me. Hard to explain, just didn't feel right. I really wish I could have fired it. It might have changed my opinion a little. The Sig was top heavy, ergonomics were o.k. for my hands. No-one had a clue as to the cost of the modular interchanges. That was a little scary. I wouldn't want to buy 3 guns just to have one if you know what I mean. Then I got to the Springfield XD9. I must say I was quite pleasantly surprised. Great ergonomics, great trigger, very smooth action, high cap mags. All kinds of toys come with it; two mags, holster, dual mag holder/loader/lock, etc, etc.

I took it to the range today. I wanted to try it out as well as my CZ83 and the wifes Sig232 (both .380's) I also took my Glock 19 to make a comparison with the XD9. I definately will still keep the Glock. There's just something about it that works for me. As far as the XD9, It fires very smoothly. The lighting at the shooters station at the range was poorly lit (made it hard to see the sights. Trijicon sights or laser are next on the list) I held a 6" group at 25 yds taking two series of 12 shots, one to the head and one to center mass. I did that purposely because that's pretty close to as far as I would have to shoot in my house if the need would arise. The gun handles recoil very well. I tried some rapid fire 5 shot bursts and kinda went way out there with a couple of rounds (still on the target though). That'll take some getting used to. All in all, i'm quite happy with the XD. I particularly like the cocked and locked indicators on the top and the rear. Handy in the dark.

The thing that impressed me the most: The CZ83 that I had never shot before was absolutely a pleasure to shoot. Extremely smooth and accurate and fits my hand like a glove. If it was a 9 mil i'd never have to buy another handgun. The Sig232 was very light and had a little more kick to it but was deadly accurate. Would you believe a 4" group at 25 yds in the head. With my eyesight? I'm stunned. 8) Oh well, hope I didn't bore you too much. Now I have to go and vacuum the floors. Honey do's and all that rot.

Cheers,
J.C.

Well, that's the story of the four guns i'll never get rid of

Geeze Outlaw!  Nice size house if you might have to take a 25 yard shot INDOORS!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »
Hey Hazcat! That's standing at my fireplace upstairs looking down at the stairwell bannister in the lower living room. I measured it just for kicks: 22.5 yds. I was close anyways. there is one area 4 yds farther away but what the hey. It's a 3000 sq. ft. house. It's openly laid out upstairs. I can stand at the fireplace or sit on the sofa and see the top half of the front door downstairs. The dogs would probably eat anyone coming in unannounced. They hear extremely well. I think they hear people just thinking about coming to my house. They'll start barking and three or four minutes later someone rings the doorbell. Never ceases to amaze me. But, that's why I give them treats.    See Ya.

Cheers,
J.C.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Hey Hazcat! That's standing at my fireplace upstairs looking down at the stairwell bannister in the lower living room. I measured it just for kicks: 22.5 yds. I was close anyways. there is one area 4 yds farther away but what the hey. It's a 3000 sq. ft. house. It's openly laid out upstairs. I can stand at the fireplace or sit on the sofa and see the top half of the front door downstairs. The dogs would probably eat anyone coming in unannounced. They hear extremely well. I think they hear people just thinking about coming to my house. They'll start barking and three or four minutes later someone rings the doorbell. Never ceases to amaze me. But, that's why I give them treats.    See Ya.

Cheers,
J.C.

Sounds comfy.  I like open architecture.  And I'll be sure to call before I ever show up so the puppies can be briefed in advance. ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk