Author Topic: Is Reloading "Worth It"?  (Read 19119 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Is Reloading "Worth It"?
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:15 AM »
I've been asked this question a lot over the years by a lot of guys who wanted to be able to shoot more for less, but aren't sure reloading was, "right for them". The main issue with reloading cost is where you obtain your components. Too many people pick up a Cabela's catalog, and using their component prices as a baseline, dismiss reloading as "not worth it". Like anything else you buy in quantity, you must shop around for the best price if you expect to save. In over 40 years of shooting and reloading, I've picked up enough empty shotgun hulls and brass off the ground to fill a 2 car garage solid. Today, as more people are getting into reloading it is becoming more difficult, but there is still a lot of brass available for the picking. Especially in the cheaper, more common calibers like 9 MM and .223.

It was the same 25 years ago when .308 and .30-06 was then considered to be common and cheap at the time. I would collect boxes of the stuff because most shooters couldn't be bothered with it. I would even have guys come over and ask me if I wanted their brass, after they saw me scrounging for it. I always said yes, even if it was for a caliber I didn't reload for at the time. Sooner or later I did, and that brass was put into good use.

Many leave 9 MM and .223 on the ground at my local club because they feel it is simply too cheap to bother with. While that may or may not be true today, you can bet the cheap prices won't last much longer. I'm surprised they've lasted this long. The days of factory, brass cased, reloadable 9 MM for under $10.00 a box aren't going to be with us much longer, as the prices of the raw materials used in ammunition keep rising, (Brass, Copper, and Lead). It is one of the main reasons so many manufacturers are going to steel cased ammunition. Especially the Russian manufacturers. Brass is a premium commodity in that country. Even American companies like Hornady are now producing steel cased 7.62 X 39 MM ammo at premium prices.

Another area shooters better start paying attention to is lead. You are already seeing places like Cabela's touting an entire section devoted to "Lead Free Ammo". I have well over 2 tons of lead based bullet casting material stockpiled. Most of it I got for nothing where I worked over the years. I also have purchased many multi cavity bullet molds in various configurations over the years. My wife and I purchased a ton of lead shot, (80, 25 pound bags), direct from Scott Shot up in St. George Utah some years back for $12.00 a bag. We still have a large portion of it. Today it sells anywhere from $30.00 to $45.00 a bag.

Some indoor ranges already do not allow lead based ammunition to be shot, and California has mandated lead free ammo for hunting in several counties. A "lead ban" can only be exercised so far. You'll always be able to shoot lead somewhere. But with that said you have to have it to be able to shoot it. When I'm bored in the cooler weather, I'll cast up a few thousand bullets. It didn't cost me anything for the metal to do it, and that translates into even more savings and shooting.

As I said, I've been doing this sort of thing since I got out of high school in 1970, 40 years ago. Over the decades it has paid off well, and continues to do so. For someone starting out in reloading it still can, you just have to shop carefully for your components. Paying too much for anything negates any savings you might experience from it down the road. Reloading components are like anything else, the cheaper they can be obtained, the "better" they are.   Bill T.

Badgersmilk

Re: Is Reloading "Worth It"?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
From my experience (everyone's may differ). 

The more important point to consider than the cost in dollars is the cost in time.  To make real QUALITY reloads that are equal to or better than factory ammo it takes TIME!  Lots of time.  Then it takes time.  Don't forget to consider that you'll also have to spend a considerable amount of TIME!!!

ESPECIALLY if your trying to do reloading on the cheap!  I've watched guys with the fanciest of fancy digital scales make mistakes and damage their own and others people's guns when they start trying to rush things (why I will NEVER shoot ANYONE elses reloads!). 

When you start shopping for equipment you'll consistantly see tools that cost $15, and tools that cost $300 that do exactly the same job!  Only real differance is that the $300 one will usually do things more efficiently.  Saving...  Well, you guessed it!  ;)

After your first few hundred rounds I promise your REALLLLLLLY going to want that expensive tool!  There goes your savings!  :(  But it doesn't stop there.  Oh no!  Once you get used to how nice THAT $300 tool works, the other half dozen or so things you've been using SURE start to get on your nerves with how inefficent THEY are,  ;)  Before you know it you have enough money in tools to have bought a VERY nice new rifle!

This will lead you to either give up on the whole thing (wasting the initial investment completely).  Or you are several hundred dollars, even well over a grand into this "horrible habbit" that has consumed your whole life and every wakeing moment!  :o  ;D

What I'm saying here is.  DON"T DO IT!  If your just wanting to save a few bucks on your shooting.  Odd's of it really working out to your financial benefit are SLIM.

If your really, really interested in "rolling your own", learning all the minute details of the process, and want to fine tune your shooter's to their very last ten thousandth of an inch of performance...  JUMP ON IN!  The waters fine!   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
If you have lots of time, maybe.  If you don't have lots of time, then no.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
The more important point to consider than the cost in dollars is the cost in time.  To make real QUALITY reloads that are equal to or better than factory ammo it takes TIME!  Lots of time.  Then it takes time.  Don't forget to consider that you'll also have to spend a considerable amount of TIME!!!

Before you know it you have enough money in tools to have bought a VERY nice new rifle!

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=13181.0

I don't know about you but I don't consider 23 hours to reload 2,350 rounds of ammunition all that much time. And I've found it to be quite the opposite. Those expensive tools have saved me enough over the years to pay for several nice new rifles.   Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
lets see my shop labor rate was 195/ hour.  =4485 + reloaing costs. 

two years ago, I would have lost money to reload.  Now It might be a "wash".  For the most part, my job is very boring, the last thing I need is a hobby that is very boreing.  I know some people don't find reloading boring, I do. 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:38:17 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
Maybe it's me, but I'm not buying into this whole "time" thing. I mean come on, unless you're the CEO of Oracle or Cisco Systems, nobody is that busy. As a matter of fact, if you've got the time to participate on this forum, you've got plenty of time avaliable for you to reload. Now, if you don't want to for whatever reason, that's fine, but the whole "time" deal just doesn't hold water. Besides, everyone's "time" is worth $1,500.00 an hour, just ask them.  ::)

Some parts of the reloading process, like case prep is boring, but to me owning a firearm that I did not have the capability to make ammo for, (with the exception of rimfires), for me would seem incomplete. The simple fact that I've never owned a rifle I couldn't make shoot better with good handloads is reason enough for me to do it. Realistically, what's the point of paying upwards of over $1,400.00 for a good shooting, accurate rifle, then sinking another $1,000.00+ into optics, rings, and mounts, then turn around and have to settle for mediocre group sizes with factory ammo?

For me reloading shotshells paid off when Winchester AA's and Remington STS's were $5.00 a box. Now that they're $8.00+ it's even more beneficial. The same can be said when Federal American Eagle .223 was $3.00 a box. Now it's over double that, so the same deal applies.

No matter how you cut it, there is no way I could afford to shoot as much as I do if I didn't reload. Yes, I put a lot more downrange than the average shooter. With that said If I did not reload that would still be possible, it would just cost me a lot more to do it. As for time, there is no meter running. It's free until you die.  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »
I take it you have never owned a small biz,

Trust me, 12 hours is a SHORT DAY,  15-16 is the norm.  Trust me, with 5-10 employees, the sheer ammount of paper work is insane.  Now add in invoices and record keeping, I kid you not, 3 hours of paper work a day is common.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
The reason hand loading is time consuming for me is the amount of attention I put into each round.  Example:  I measure EVERY round down to +/- 1 or 2 grains of powder.  Not the weight measurement of grains.  I mean hand picking out each individual little speck of powder.  And STILL end up with what I call "A, B, and C grade rounds" when I'm done.  It's easily a few hours to get a single box of "A" grade rounds!

I've also got a place to hunt where I can take 1,200+ yard shots.   ;D

HECK YEAH!  It's worth it to me.  :)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:41:58 AM »
My argument is not with the fact reloading takes "time", but rather with people who claim not to have the "time" for reloading.   Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »
This relates to what a co worker was telling me last week. He was complaining that his pool service raised his monthly maintenance fee $30.00 a month. I asked him why he didn't maintain his pool himself. His reason was that he simply did not "have the time". This guy plays a minimum of 36 holes of golf a week, and watches every Arizona Diamondbacks game broadcast. That is what he enjoys doing. I maintain my own pool and I can all but guarantee I don't spend an half an hour a week doing it. What is that, 3 innings of a single baseball game? Everything has to be looked at in perspective.   Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk