Author Topic: Stainless Steel Polishing Media ??  (Read 16046 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Stainless Steel Polishing Media ??
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »
If it did that you would know it right away because the resized cases would have no neck tension when you seated the bullet. Not to mention primers would fall out of the pockets.

They polish ROCKS in these things. Others use rocks, (ceramic), as a media to polish. We have machines at work that have been running for over 20 years with ceramic and carborundum media in them. They'll outlast us.

Come on, you have to let them dry! Hornady sells a liquid Ultrasonic Cleaner. I've been using one for years and have been washing shotshell hulls in the dishwasher since the 70's. I've never had a misfire. You dry your clothes after you wash them before you wear them, why wouldn't you do the same with your brass before you load it?   Bill T.

Until you have laid out the money you do not know that will not happen.

They polish rocks, yes, but rocks break down a lot easier than St/St, also if you look, that tumbling media is rounded at the corners.

Use regular media, corncobs or walnut shells and there is no drying, you don't pick up a suit from the dry cleaner and throw it in the dryer, do you ?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
Common sense dictates if this stuff was detrimental to brass in any way, shape, or form, it would have been found out by now, and this stuff would not have achieved the following it has in such a short period of time. In short the stuff works, and works well. The only question left to ask, is if the reloader wants to undertake the expense to have spotless brass? That is up to the reloader.   Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »
Bill, I'm just throwing out thoughts based on my experiences with Stainless, which include broke machines and nasty cuts, but not cleaning brass, (Used dura-glit for that).
I will only add that when you read those endorsements you should remember that "Thalidimide" worked really good on morning sickness,( Melanie can fill you in on that. ) and DDT was real good at keeping ants out of your house.
Beware the unintended consequence.

PS, When did "Common sense" ever enter into business ?
We can't even get that from the News.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »
I will only add that when you read those endorsements you should remember that "Thalidimide" worked really good on morning sickness,( Melanie can fill you in on that. ) and DDT was real good at keeping ants out of your house.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Stainless Steel cleaning cartridge brass to DDT??? Really?   Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
Not at all Bill, both of my examples worked perfectly, except that one resulted in birth defects, and the other was wreaking environmental havoc.
Both severe unintended consequences, if the St /St does erode the brass you stand a good chance of blowing up at least one gun, that also is a fairly severe (presumably ) unintended consequence.
Apples to apples.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:46:16 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
I'm just having a difficult time reading in environmental havoc and birth defects into polishing brass. Where am I going wrong?   Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
Have a rifle blow up in your face, you'll understand.  ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
How about just adding some crushed walnut shells to your corncobs 'till you get a nice compromise between slow polishing ad ruining your brass? No crazy elements or alloys to deal with. (Unless walnuts are destroying the ozone or something.)
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 07:45:03 AM »
In over 40 years of handloading and shooting I have never seen, read, heard of, or come across anyone who has been hurt, or had a firearm damaged or destroyed because they polished their brass in "bad media". It's starting to get a little bit deep.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
Hey, you asked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk