Author Topic: Google Earth ??  (Read 3067 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Google Earth ??
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
This is the third time this has happened. I downloaded Google Earth a few months ago and everything worked just fine. It downloaded with no issues, and the icon was up and running on the desktop. Then this morning when I booted everything up, the icon was missing. I looked in "All Programs" and it was gone from there as well. I went to "Control Panel" under "Uninstall Programs" and there it was. But it won't let me open it, or reestablish it back to the desktop. It will only let me uninstall it, which I don't want to do. Before I uninstalled it, then turned right around and reinstalled it, but that is silly. The program is there, it just for some unknown reason slips into cyber oblivion and won't let me open it, or place it back to the desktop. I don't know why this is happening, or how to fix it. I use Google Earth all the time. There has to be a simple solution to get this back where it belongs. Nothing is happening to the file itself, it's just playing hide and seek for some reason? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.   Bill T.

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Google Earth ??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
I'm running it on windows7 also, never had a problem!
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
On John Wayne's Tombstone

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1064
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
I've just recently loaded it on our system, also running 7. Never had an issue before on XP, though.

**As a side note, I once had an ancestry/genealogy program that was a free download. You had to go to the website and download it for free, but the kicker was the 'license for use' was only good for 60 days (like a trial basis). After the 60 days, it stopped working, left the desktop, but was still 'on board' the computer. You could do the same thing you did and uninstall it, then go back to the site and download it over again with another 60 day license. Later on I decided to run a virus scan on the software download itself and it popped for several 'harmless' adware and spyware issues (for doing surveys on browsing stats and such). I got rid of it anyway.

I'm not saying Google is doing this, but it is not uncommon for many 'free' downloads of this type to include non-harmful spyware and adware that is used for info gathering and surveys. Could be something in your virus protection shutting it down.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
Now this is plain scarily odd in the timing of this.......... my Google Earth was on my desktop yesterday because I was using it. As soon as I posted my last comment, just for grins and giggles, I went and looked and it was GONE from the desktop. Everything was like Bill posted........ Only place I could find it on my computer was in the program list and the only option it would let me select was 'uninstall'.

Spooky. Odd in the timing.
Think I'll wait and check into it before I download it again.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
Peg Leg, you might be on to something. A guy on another forum said he had the same thing happen to 2 of his computers at work. Could find no reason for it. He said he even brought in an experienced I.T. guy to look things over, and he found nothing. I used to run it on Windows XP had never had an issue either. For what it's worth I'm running Norton Anti Viral protection for everything including insects, asteroids, and child molesters.  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:37:12 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:36 PM »
Bill, I found this on another forum after a Google search (many topics on this, it seems to be common):

This is a know issue with Google Earth. They are working on it.

It hasnt been erased from your system though. The shortcuts have just disappeared.

To get your Google Earth back do this:
Open a my Computer window.
Go to your C:\ Drive
Go to Program Files(x86)
Go to Google
Go to Google Earth
Go to client
RIGHT CLICK googleearth.exe and choose "Send To" from the first drop down menu
This will open a second drop down menu, chose "desktop (create shortcut)" from that menu.

This will place the shortcut back on your desktop.

Hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/45033-google-earth-disappeared-program-list-2.html

pin it to the taskbar, then if the icon and directory links dissapear, the icon on the taskbar will still work.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
Now this is plain scarily odd in the timing of this.......... my Google Earth was on my desktop yesterday because I was using it. As soon as I posted my last comment, just for grins and giggles, I went and looked and it was GONE from the desktop. Everything was like Bill posted........ Only place I could find it on my computer was in the program list and the only option it would let me select was 'uninstall'.

Spooky. Odd in the timing.
Think I'll wait and check into it before I download it again.

I'm with you. I'm going to do a little more research before repeating the same lame process. Let me know if you find out anything.  Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Peg Leg,

YOU DA' MAN!!!  Everything is FABULOUS ONCE AGAIN!!  Thanks pal!  Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
The only thing for me was instead of clicking on googleearth.exe  I clicked on just googleearth. The one with the blue globe icon. Other than that, same deal.  Bill T.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
I'm voting for the black helicopters and tinfoil hats.  They know where you live.  They know what you've been talking about.  They know what you have in your safe.  And they are jealous!

CRAP

NOW somebody's gone and stole my roll of foil.

Ah'm jes sayin'
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk