Which Progressive reloading press do you prefer

Dillion 650
18 (69.2%)
Hornady Lock n Load AP
4 (15.4%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose  (Read 20486 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 02:26:02 AM »
The Unique Tech powder bar looks like a better solution to the Dillon powder measure problem. I don't know how well it would hold up over time shearing long grained powders, being plastic and all, but having a micrometer adjustable bar is something no powder measure should be without in today's day and age.

I would like to see Dillon reevaluate and re engineer their entire powder dispensing system on all of their loaders. They are an immensely successful company that offers one of the best products and warranties out there. A new and better powder dispensing system on these loaders would be the one single improvement that would really raise the dependability factor with all of their equipment. It is the one thing that prevents me from investing in a Super 1050 in .223 / 5.56 MM. I'm not going to pay well into 4 digits for a reloader that I right away have to spend another $100.00 on for a powder bar to make it run dependably.

Alf, let us know how the Hornady works out for you, and what if any problems you run into setting it up. It looks like you got a good price on it.  Bill T.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »
Congrats Alf!

You have covered the toughest part.  Now all you need to do is learn it, get it set up and adjusted, and then crank out ammunition.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge ...  Each has its good and bad, but they all work.  Hope you enjoy the Hornady!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
In my researching I came across this web site which has some very good information.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/11/02/hornady-lnl-ap-9mm-part-i-hd/

They have videos on reloading with the Hornady that are very instructional.   What grabbed me was the use of those few little "extras" that any press can use to help.   

I'm really sold on 5 station operation and the ease with which the LnL can be configured for different operations.    I can convert it to a single or two station press in just a few seconds.   I like to tinker so I see how I can easily make  low primer warning as well as adapt Hornady's powder checker into a aural system.   

Thanks for the link, Alf. I have been considering a progressive reloader like you for some time. And congrats on the new press, keep us posted on how the 500 rounds went. I'm curious as to how your rounds came out; did everything meet your expectations?

This is the kind of discussion I was hoping we would get when I asked Marshal'ette to create the forum; very helpful and useful info from everyone.

-FA

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 01:59:44 PM »
I'm curious as to how your rounds came out; did everything meet your expectations?

-FA

Well, it just shipped today from  MUSA, so it'll be mid week before it gets here.  BUT:  Next week is my busiest week of the month and I won't have time to do it any justice.   THEN:  the wife considers it a Christmas present, I could be looking at New Years before I actually put it into operation.

Standby for full report.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
I don't think women understand. 

A present is supposed to give you happiness and enjoyment, not frustration and longing so they can be a "Photo Op" on a particular day.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 07:41:51 AM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
I don't think women understand. 

A present is supposed to give you happiness and enjoyment, not frustration and longing so they can be a "Photo Op" on a particular day.

I agree....Alf, buy your wife a pair of shoes she has been looking at for some time but tell her that she has to wait till Christmas! Put them in them out where she has to look at them every day but she can't even as much as try them on! You'll be loading before sundown.....

;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk