Author Topic: DIY D-rations - cub scout approved!  (Read 14519 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DIY D-rations - cub scout approved!
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Made this with my Weblos (cub scouts about to cross to boyscouts)

Found the old d-ration recipe and modified it just a little.  One of the dads is a chef and recommended
75% chocolate to 25% wax and bees wax vs paraffin

3 oz of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate chips or chunks. (we used cheap kroger brand)
1 oz of paraffin ( we used bee's wax)
1 oz of Table Sugar
1/3 oz of Nonfat Dry Milk
3 table spoons Oat Flour ( we ran oatmeal through a food processor)
2 to 4 drops Vanilla Extract

melt wax in double boiler
add chocoalte
add solid stuff and mix like crazy
pour into mold and cool

boys had a blast - I carried a chunk in my pocket all weekend at a boyscout thing and it never got melty

it tastes not bad but not great - i wonder if protein powder might be used in place of the dry milk to add a bit
of protein
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

tombogan03884

Re: DIY D-rations - cub scout approved!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
Hersey's "Special Dark Chocolate" was originally developed for WWII pilots survival kits and was specially formulated to resist melting in tropical climates.
If you use that instead of "Milk Chocolate you may be able to cut down on the amount of wax of whatever type and presumably improve the flavor somewhat.
Also, Dark Chocolate, unlike milk chocolate contains anti oxidants so it is also more "Heart healthy.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »
Sounds interesting but I'd rather have M&Ms than waxy chocolate.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »
Very interesting.  I will have to try that with the boys, and use the "Special Dark" stuff.  Now I just have to find a source of bees wax here in the hinterlands.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »
Hersey's "Special Dark Chocolate" was originally developed for WWII pilots survival kits and was specially formulated to resist melting in tropical climates.
If you use that instead of "Milk Chocolate you may be able to cut down on the amount of wax of whatever type and presumably improve the flavor somewhat.
Also, Dark Chocolate, unlike milk chocolate contains anti oxidants so it is also more "Heart healthy.

True about the nutritinialitive qualities of dark chocolate - but I can tell you from icky experience the tropical dark melts just fine in a kids pocket. 

We did this as kinda a veterans day thing - was considering making some spam sammiches too  ;D
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:15:51 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
True about the nutritinialitive qualities of dark chocolate - but I can tell you from icky experience the tropical dark melts just fine in a kids pocket.  

We did this as kinda a veterans day thing - was considering making some spam sammiches too  ;D

Try making "genuine" USMC issue style bologna sandwiches
Start by leaving White  Bread,  cheap bologna and imitation cheese sitting out over night, (week end is better )
Stack as with regular sandwich, DO NOT ADD CONDIMENTS, it spoils the whole effect

Another "Veterans favorite"
Kill a pig, take all useful portions to the butcher for cutting and wrapping,
From what is left take random pieces, 1/4 filling unlined metal container, mix with partially cooked Lima beans, Store for  years or till all flavor has been leached from metal,
place over propane torch until bottom is burnt, middle is warm and top is totally unheated add Tabasco (LOTS of Tabasco )

Bon apatit    ::)     ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
On the D ration front, these can be made semi "healthy". Add raisins, dried cranberries, sesamee seeds, ground peanuts and maybe some granola. You get instant protien, some veg and carbs. Granted buying the very excellent Wally world "Nuts and Berries" Great Value brand granola bars is a lot easier and chreaper, but for DIY, making them think about nutrition a bit doesn't hurt. Lesson the second? Fun with ramen noodles and peanut butter. Carbs and protien for pennies, just add boiling water. And tabasco. ;D
FQ13

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »
On the D ration front, these can be made semi "healthy". Add raisins, dried cranberries, sesamee seeds, ground peanuts and maybe some granola. You get instant protien, some veg and carbs. Granted buying the very excellent Wally world "Nuts and Berries" Great Value brand granola bars is a lot easier and chreaper, but for DIY, making them think about nutrition a bit doesn't hurt. Lesson the second? Fun with ramen noodles and peanut butter. Carbs and protien for pennies, just add boiling water. And tabasco. ;D
FQ13

on the healthy front for the boy scouts we make 'Hudson Bay Bread' a seriously heavy oatmeal cookie bar made with lots of real maple syrup and slivered almonds and 'Logan Bread' a really heavy whole wheat cookie bar with molasses and dried fruit

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 09:55:49 AM »
Try making "genuine" USMC issue style bologna sandwiches
Start by leaving White  Bread,  cheap bologna and imitation cheese sitting out over night, (week end is better )
Stack as with regular sandwich, DO NOT ADD CONDIMENTS, it spoils the whole effect

Another "Veterans favorite"
Kill a pig, take all useful portions to the butcher for cutting and wrapping,
From what is left take random pieces, 1/4 filling unlined metal container, mix with partially cooked Lima beans, Store for  years or till all flavor has been leached from metal,
place over propane torch until bottom is burnt, middle is warm and top is totally unheated add Tabasco (LOTS of Tabasco )

Bon apatit    ::)     ;D

On the sandwiches, for variety, spray them with water so the bread is soggy just before serving.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
Make the deluxe version with last weeks lettuce  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk