Author Topic: DIY D-rations - cub scout approved!  (Read 14517 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: DIY D-rations - cub scout approved!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
Make the deluxe version with last weeks lettuce  ;D

Last week's lettuce?

You had last week's lettuce?

Marines get everything  :(
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
Last week's lettuce?

You had last week's lettuce?

Marines get everything  :(

That happens when you are "Elite"   ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
I will admit to being a food geek here, but I like what you are doing. Survival, DIY, and nutrition. All good things. Check out a guy I like a lot, Alton Brown of "Good Eats" on the Food Network. He's kind of the  "Tim the Tool Man" of food. He did a piece on beef jerky.
Long story short.
 HALF freeze some flank steak and cut it paper thin with a serrated knife.
Season heavily with your choice of dry spices, making sure that it is heavily salted.
Take two square AC filters and put the salted strips inside.
Bungee cord them together.
Then, bungee cord them to a square box fan so the air can pass while it blows, and leave them for a day,
Instant jerky!
Look it up on the web, as I don't want to poison the little darlings if I missed a step, but I think this kind of thing is cool, and good for the kiddies.
I'd also reccomend taking them hunting/fishing/buying a live pig and turning it into a tasty meal if you can get away with it. Its a valuable life lesson in where food REALLY comes from and how to get it.
FQ13 who says thanks for what you're doing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk