Author Topic: 9mm Help  (Read 21143 times)

Trevor

Re: 9mm Help
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »
Re: The Browning High Power.  The current pistol has many improvements over the original model of 1935.  For instance, there has been an external extractor on the pistol since 1962.  Since 1994, when Browning went to a cast frame to handle the .40 S&W round, the pistols have been stronger and more durable.  Patrick Sweeney has extensively tested a recent production 9mm High Power.  This pistol had endured over 20k rounds without problems.  If you want a High Power, buy a new one from Browning/FN and enjoy.  That said, the trigger will be rough, it has the damned magazine connect device, and putting better sights on it will require extra expense and work to cut the slide for fitting the sights.

If a steel-framed pistol is to your liking though, the CZ-75 remains a best buy.  New ones can be had for less than $500.  They are good shooters and a great bargain.

For polymer-framed pistols, I prefer the Glock 17 because it is a proven design, durable, easy to maintain or repair, parts are readily available from many sources, the magazines for it are inexpensive, and new sights for it may be fitted in five minutes.  There are many good holsters for the G17 too, and they are easy to find.

The one complaint some shooters have about the Glock is the grip angle, which they find uncomfortable while it causes them to shoot high.  If this problem is present, the Springfield XD or the S&W M&P 9mm pistols are good alternatives that work well for folks too. 

Yet, these two models are not as extensively supported in the aftermarket.  Most repairs require a shipment back to the factory.  While both companies provide good customer service in this regard, the bottom line is you are pistol-less unless you have a back up.  Most of us reading this forum have other pistols, but, for the shooter who can only afford one pistol, the Glock 17 will respond better to the individual user's efforts to keep it up and running.

My recommendation: Glock 17.

Gunnutz13

• Forum Member
  • DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
Well...the FN Hi-Power design of 1935 ( hence P35 ) remains basically unchanged... some minor embellishments withstanding. A SA 9mm with high capacity that can be carried cocked n' locked...with the manual and grip safety features that are found on a 1911. Since you have clarified that it will be a target firearm and not a CCW weapon...I would recommend the HP...made by FN or Browning, as a good choice. The Sig Sauer is also a fine choice for target shooting. I own more 45's than 9mm's...because I shoot the caliber well and love the SA design, not only for target, but also self-defense. I have carried my COLT Gold Cup National Match...but anymore it has been set aside as my range gun now that I carry the more compact Para-Ord P12-45 as my CCW.

I also tend to like steel frames more than polymer...but that is my preference, as a Glock, or XD, or M&P are not as pleasing to  my eye. I only own two polymer framed guns...My P32 Kel Tec and my Beretta 9000s...which I gave to the wife as her CCW... all the others firearms in my collection are steel and wood ( or rubber if ya count the Pachmyer grips )

Just my 2 cents.... 8)
Gunnutz13
<----------------------------------------------------->

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
                  -- Thomas Jefferson

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »
You are fortunate there are many good 9mm guns to choose among.
I have or have had these and found them to be very satisfactory over many years:

FN High  Power P35 -- wish I still had it. It shot very well and fit my hand well. Would eat any ammo I tried to feed it reliably never a bobble. That included some hot WWII sub machine gun ammo. I got this when 9mm pistols were not widely available as they are now. It was the 9mm wonder pistol in the days before the Illinois State Police discovered the caliber in the S&W M39.

The German Police P1 which is actually a Walther P38 with an alloy frame. These are easy to find and fairly inexpensive right now. But the design is dated and the magazine release is on the butt -- in the wrong place for us. But I have had two of them and they have both been tight and accurate. But I would say that for me this is just a fun gun to shoot.

My current favorite 9mm is a SIG P226 with night sights. This is one good gun. I bought it used for a reasonable price. When I was at SIG for a course I had them do a trigger job and install a short trigger. I have been using this P 226 for league for the past several years. At a different SIG Academy course I put over 1,000 rounds through this gun in a single day with no problems at all. I had no chance to do immediate action drills with it and had to set them up artificially so that I could do the practice.

SIG P225 or P6 police pistol. Nice gun. The P6s are available now for a reasonable price. I saw that Gander Mt. has them now for less than I paid them for mine a while ago. I put a short trigger and night sights on mine. It is a single stack and MB used to say it was his carry gun. Mine shoots like a charm with nice groups. I like the grip on the single stack a lot.

I have used, but never owned, an XD9. I really like my XD45. I can recommend the XD9 based on my limited experience with it, and my experience with the XD45.

I have been happy with the ones I listed and can recommend them. Keep in mind I shoot mostly standard cheap Winchester and Remington ball ammo at paper targets. But I shoot every week at least one day. The ones above all work with Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dots, and Federal Hydra Shock as well. But I hardly ever shoot the hollow point stuff.

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »
Many Thanks ;D to all who have posted to my question. As I already know there are quite a few selections in this caliber and all companys that you suggested I have review. Still no easy choice. Glocks are mentioned quite often in all forums" Excellent Firearms" as are the others, but the Glock I can't seem to just pick it up and shoot to center of target. I know that is the 1911 in me. Para's LDA is close choice for me, but the one I own in 45 takes some getting use too,as far as getting to the point of knowing were the trigger reset is without going full forward to fire again. I will take your advise and go to as many places as possible and try as many as I can before commiting this caliber. The one thing that does keep coming up here in your suggestions is to stay with one with a similar grip angle as 1911's. I am leaning toward  Browning HP, Springfield XD, maybe S&W MP. Feeling comfortable in my hands has always served me well. I say it again! Your opinions count more than those that do the reviewes in the magazines.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
I've got one that's just a wee bit ::) off the wall for ya.

Hi Point 9mm Compact (ducks and runs).

Seriously.  I have one.  Never fails (2500 plus rounds of many flavors including reloads), the only thing I did was put a 'sleve' on it because the grip was a little 'greasy' in my hand.  Love it, and it shoots straight.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:52:16 AM »

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
As far as carry goes I would my use my PARA LDA Black Watch Companion if this dam state of my ever passed CC

hello wisconsin, as i understand you like the LDA trigger but want the 9mm then stick with PARA. If a model has blown me away its the Tac-5. The only thing its missing is a fiberoptic front sight. hope it helps man.

tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »

Seriously.  I have one.  Never fails (2500 plus rounds of many flavors including reloads), the only thing I did was put a 'sleve' on it because the grip was a little 'greasy' in my hand.  Love it, and it shoots straight.

And very inexspensive
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »

In regards to what I said about magazines and truth in testing. I should say there is a publication that is worth a look at and that is Gun Tests www.gun-tests.com they don't accept any commercial advertising and they buy their test guns right off the counter the same as we do, then give there opinions.They have no problem telling you if its a piece of crap or not. There review of Hi Point 9mm was as they put it was BUY IT.It certainly has its own look. But as cookie62 said its priced right.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 09:17:44 PM »
I like the CZ-75 PCR.  Good decocker, the trigger is a smidge long for my taste, but I have no problems with DA/SA.

I think of it as a 21st Century HiPower.

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
the great deal right now is from Smith-wesson.com is the SW9VE. Along with the gun,2mags,box and papers you also get $50 rebate and 2 more mags, which are $41 from Smith-n-Wesson for a total of $132 off of the low over counter price if me math is on. The 9VE went through an Crazy test of 20,000 rounds. great pick for short money.

tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk