Author Topic: I have never seen anything as dangerous as USPSA, IPSC, etc.  (Read 103143 times)

bloodfarts

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have never seen anything as dangerous as USPSA, IPSC, etc.
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

Having kicked in a few door's myself ( USMC, B/W, GOVT.) I have never seen anything as dangerous as USPSA, IPSC, etc.
They are letting a stop watch force them into making really bad decisions.
I watch the fastest local hotshots sticking their hands through simulated window's to shoot a bad guy.
I watch the hotshots use cover as a rest, not as cover.
Cutting the pie has an entirely different meaning in competition shooting.
The act of unloading your firearm the split second you are done with a gun fight is FREAKING NUTS.
I am still scanning and assessing and the "R.O" thinks I'm lost and I need help...........

As a semi famous ugly guy once said-

"Anytime you go into a situation where you know exactly what is going to happen and you tailor your gear and technique to that situation (plate rack, staged defensive scenario) you set yourself to gaming.
When you are gaming, you are playing by the rules.  In a real gun fight, there are no rules.

Training is training and dogshit is dogshit.
I'll take the training. You can have the dogshit.

Have a nice day,

BloodFarts
USMC

tombogan03884

Re: I have never seen anything as dangerous as USPSA, IPSC, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bloodfarts, The thing to keep in mind is that IPSC, USPSA, etc. are not training, and they are not geared toward Military application. They are sports, When was the last time you saw a Calvary troop (horse type ) cutting cross country ? But Steeplechase is still popular among the horse set. Same with throwing Javelins.
The training value of these sports is that you are operating under pressure, true, it is from a clock, not some one trying to kill you but when the buzzer goes you have to act THEN, and you have to put your shots on target THEN.
Other wise I have to agree, for one thing, for a Citizen CCW holder they require you to move in the wrong direction, toward the threat to engage the next set of targets, not away from the threat toward safety.
Would not be much of a sport if you could win by screaming like a girl and running like hell  ;D
PS, Thanks for your service and Semper Fi Bro. You , me, and a few others on here should team up, Bloodfarts and the old farts  ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
Personally I see more dangerous things on the road every day, but the point is taken. Tom, that was very well responded in that those sports are NOT training, just as bull riding is not what cowboys generally do as a job description.

Hopefully Mr. Fart will be contributing to more conversations, and this wasn't just a passing gas cloud. Looking forward to Post #2.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
I've been threatened and/or assaulted with knives, guns, fists, clubs and bad words, but I have never been in as much danger as when using the cross walk while (usually ) women drivers are texting or reading their mail.  :(

bloodfarts

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
Who said Mr. Farts?
( I looked to see if my Dad was in here. hehe)

Points taken guys. Thanks for not attacking me.

Sometimes I want to warn the young cops to never run around a blind corner with your firearm fully extended out, or explaining that scanning and assessing after shooting, not only helps you to identify secondary threat's but it forces you to break the "tunnel vision" that you WILL have. (Watch the first Superman movie. Even Superman gets tunnel vision....you will too.)
But I feel like I come off as the "ex-contractor" know it all guy.

I'd rather be the wierd guy that looks around after he shoots.
Less people trying to borrow/sell you stuff. ( hehe)

Blood farts-
Is it ok to drink in here?

Sponsor

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »

Is it ok to drink in here?

NO IT IS NOT "OK"!!!

It's a REQUIREMENT!

;D

Haz (who is currently brewing 6 gallons of English Nut Brown Ale)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »
Bloodfarts,

I have the same problem shooting IPSC.  I just do not want to pick up anymore bad habits than I already have.
When I SO an IDPA stage and I get one of the "shell flickers" I let them know they might as well slow down and let me check clear.

I had an SO ask me why my pistol was so much louder than the others on the stage. I told him I was the only one who did not stick the pistol past cover.

There is no doubt that USPSA shooters are very good gunhandlers and marksmen/women. It's just gaming the game has become more important than the founders had invisioned (Col. Cooper).

I shoot IDPA just to get a chance to shoot, move and engage multiple targets.  I don't go to the regional matches because of my limited tolerance of the game.  As with any practice I review how I handled the stages and figure out what I need to work harder at.

At the end of the day people getting out shooting  for shooting sake is OK for all of us.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
NO IT IS NOT "OK"!!!

It's a REQUIREMENT!

;D

What the hell is with the signature lines  ???

Have you been drinking the FQ Kool Aid  ???
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
NO IT IS NOT "OK"!!!English nuts make good beer? Yer scarin' me!

It's a REQUIREMENT!

;D

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »
What the hell is with the signature lines  ???

Have you been drinking the FQ Kool Aid  ???

NAA, just bringing Farts up to speed.  (mine are turbo charged! ;) )
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk