Author Topic: Swimming in Brass  (Read 25825 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Swimming in Brass
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 04:24:29 AM »
A guy I shoot matches with says he's been saving the old used primers that come out of his Dillon 550.  There is  a scrap yard not too far from his house that gives him brass scrap prices for them.

Man...oh....man!

If there was a way I could quickly/efficiently seperate .22LR brass cases from gravel....I'd be rich.

;D

Oh, okay, maybe not rich, but at least I could pay for my gas to the range and back.

As far as bad pistol brass goes, I can usually hear it when it has split.  He sounds more tin-ey.

I use these to seperate the different calibers.  It goes quickly:

They also make a metal plate that has even smaller slots that seperates the .380's from the 9mm's.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 05:11:51 AM »

I use these to separate the different calibers.  It goes quickly:

They also make a metal plate that has even smaller slots that separates the .380's from the 9mm's.

Found them at MidwayUSA.   $38 tough.   I might continue to hand sort for that price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=847836
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
I have at least one 5 gallon bucket dedicated to clean/tumbled 9mm, .40, and .45 brass.  Then there is at least one other bucket that is dirty mixed brass.

IIRC, a bucket full of brass weighs about 80 pounds.

Yeah, I kinda balked at the price of the shell sorters originally too, but my time has got to be work something, dontchya know?

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »
I have at least one 5 gallon bucket dedicated to clean/tumbled 9mm, .40, and .45 brass.  Then there is at least one other bucket that is dirty mixed brass.

Yeah, I kinda balked at the price of the shell sorters originally too, but my time has got to be work something, dontchya know?

Your employer thinks so, and he pays people to figure that stuff out.    ;)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 03:09:44 AM »
whoops!

that should say "worth" something instead of "work"

doh!

I have talked to some former bosses and they said that they bill out $60 an hour for my time.

Gee...I wish I could actually take $60 an hour to the bank.   :(

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:22:01 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

Your time is worth what you make with it.  Secondly, you have to hand inspect each case anyway, so why not sort by hand?  If you can inspect five hundred cases an hour with an average value of a nickel, that is $25.00 for the hour.  Just what do you figure your time is worth?  I'd take $5.00 an hour if I was playing with shooting stuff any day of the week!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
whoops!

that should say "worth" something instead of "work"

doh!

I have talked to some former bosses and they said that they bill out $60 an hour for my time.

Gee...I wish I could actually take $60 an hour to the bank.
 :(

Don't we all   ;D
But, I was thinking more along the lines of what he pays you.    ;D
Seriously, If you are at the reloading bench you are not at work, so that is what your time is worth,
 or you could just figure it at minimum wage since you don't have documented training.
Either way, your time has a definite value.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 05:28:24 AM »
OK, this is weird. We took packages of 9mm to the gun show, 3 boxes of 1000 selling for $25 each and 3 boxes of 3500 selling for $75 each. Did not sell 1!! Not a damn one!!

We actually had people reaching for their checkbooks until we pointed out these were cases, not loaded rounds (loaded 9mm for 2.5 cents apiece?)

No one at the show who had brass on sale was selling any either. Apparently 9mm is so cheap that people just leave the brass and buy new. Cheap? I paid $52 for 250 Remington at WW the other day (starting to replenish the "stockpile" after the encounter between my son and the Uzi after Christmas). Cheaper than it used to be I suppose, but not what I would call cheap.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 05:53:31 AM »
I don't know any thats reloads 9 luger around here.    when you buy in bulk there is only a few cents diffrence between reloaded 9 mm and say win white box.

its like $12/50 or $.24 a shot, where its about $.19 to reload it to simlar specs.

Its like $.12 for the bullet, $.04 for the primer and about $.02 in powder (  a little more then 6 grains of unique, will get you to WW preformance)   bullets from win are about 110/1000, primers are right 40/1000  1 lb of unique is 15-18, and you get about 1100 rounds out of it.  do the math

assuming I can reload 1000 rounds a hour thats only $50 saved.  When you add up your time in collecting the brass, sorting it, cleaning it, then finally reloading it.  its more like 4 hours. 

Honestly for the average hand gun shooter ww will be more then good enough for them in reguards to accuracy.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 07:06:14 AM »
its like $12/50 or $.24 a shot, where its about $.19 to reload it to similar specs.

Its like $.12 for the bullet, $.04 for the primer and about $.02 in powder

Honestly for the average hand gun shooter ww will be more then good enough for them in regards to accuracy.

When it's less than $9/50, I've bought a case or two, since that puts it a < $0.18ea.   However, one of the other reasons for starting to reload was to get down to the 125 Power Factor.  (120 for Shooting Steel)   And while I might stock up on factory 9mm, to use for practice and for my carbine.  I still want my handloads for competition.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk