Author Topic: Sour Dough/ Amish Bread  (Read 3889 times)

rat31465

• Jack of all Trades, Master of none.
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sour Dough/ Amish Bread
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »
Alright, there has been enough talk here about this that now I am wanting to make some Sourdough starter.  This recipe was given to me along with a great story by a lady who use to live across the street from me.
Her daughter in law was diagnosed with inoperable cancer on her brain and admitted to the hospital.  Everyday when her husband and other family would come in to visit with her she would tell them to be sure and feed Herman.  Now no one knew what she was talking about and they were told by the Doctors at the hospital that she was delusional due to her condition.   A few days after she passed away my friend from across the road went to her home to help out and do some cooking and cleaning and in the fridge ran across this gooey mess in a large glass jar with tape on it and the word Herman written across it.  On the counter she found a recipe card with this recipe for Herman Sourdough starter and rolls. 

Back when I was cooking everyday I would often take my neighbor over a sample of whatever it was that I happened to be experimenting with at the time.  Ms. Dorothy shared this recipe with me saying that she knew I would put it to good use.

Sourdough Starter  (Herman Rolls and Cakes)
1 Pkg Active Dry Yeast    2 Cups unbleached Flour
2 cups warm water                               ¼ cup sugar
Dissolve yeast in warm water in a mixing bowl: stir.
Add flour and sugar stirring until well blended. Cover loosely with plastic wrap (I prefer to use cheese cloth.)
Allow mixture to stand overnight in a warm place or between (75-90 degrees F.)
In the morning stir well, the mixture should be very bubbly.  Place mixture in a gallon size glass jar cover loosely and refrigerate.  On the second day thru the 4 th day fed the mixture.  Stir well and feed again on day 5.  On days 6-9 stir only. Feed again on day 10.  Mixture is now ready to begin using.
Feeding Sourdough Starter.
1 cup milk                         ½ cup sugar                                    1 cup flour.
As you use the mixture be sure and replentish it using equal part of either milk or water and flour to keep it going.

“Herman Hot Rolls”
1 cup Sourdough Starter  4 tbls oil
½ cup warm water  2 cups flour
1 pkg dry yeast  1tsp additional flour

Combine ingredients and shape into a roll.  Lightly grease pan and allow mixture to rise to nearly double size. *Don’t punch it down* Oil the top lightly and score it lengthwise Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 min.

Amish Friendship Bread
2 cups sourdough mixture        ½ Tbs baking soda
2/3 cup oil                                        ½ tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour                                                 ½ tsp salt
1 cup sugar                              1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs                     1 cup nuts or raisins (Optional)
Mix ingredients well with a large wooden spoon: remembering dough will be stiff.  Pour into 2 loaf pans that have been lightly oiled and sprinkled with sugar.   (I also add a sprinkle of cinnamon as well.)
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes.
Remove, let cool and enjoy.
"Get yourself a Glock and Lose that Nickle Plated Sissy Pistol."
Sam Gerard

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sour Dough/ Amish Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
Ahh, sourdough.  It is what makes bread and rolls take on that special flavor.  I am still getting the hang of baking without the yeast added as they used to do.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk