Author Topic: Lawmakers hope to regulate private gun sales (MN)  (Read 3059 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lawmakers hope to regulate private gun sales (MN)
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
A new bill introduced at the Capitol is aimed at existing Minnesota gun laws. Lawmakers want to close a loophole that allows anyone to buy guns at private sales without a background check.

The bill will be the first time that gun safety advocates have pushed for a new law that would make most gun sales similar to those that take place in licensed shops.

Minneapolis Councilman Don Samuels calls the gun issue a daily hazard.

"I hear automatic gunfire at night from my bedroom," said Samuels.

Some other lawmakers hope to reduce the threat everywhere. The plan is to make it tougher to purchase some guns at private sales.

"This is a very dangerous weapon. No ID, no background check or anything that went along with the purchase of a gun," Duluth Police Chief Gordon Ramsey said as he displayed a gun that was purchased through the loophole.

At gun stores, buyers will face a federal background check. At a gun show or garage sale, nothing is required.

The proposed bill targets handguns and assault weapons. Anyone buying one would need a permit and it would require all gun show transactions to be processed by a licensed gun dealer. Anyone purchasing a firearm would have to undergo a federal and local background check.

"Is it going to catch everything? Everyone? No. But it's a step in the right direction," said Edina Police Chief Michael Siitari.

Lawmakers hope to pass the bill by limiting its scope—for example, it won’t impact the sale of shotguns.

Police admit that it will be tough to enforce the proposed law when it comes to Internet sales or private transactions between two neighbors, but it will still help.

The bill has to pass through committees before the legislature votes on it.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S354039.shtml?cat=1
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Lawmakers hope to regulate private gun sales (MN)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »
I can't find anything on the bill out there to read. How did you find it, Haz?  Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »
From another blog site.  They had a link to the artice above.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
So I suppose now all the bad guys will have shotguns ::)
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »
Tonight bad guys all around Minnesota are wringing their hands trying to find out how they are going to buy and sell their guns when this passes.  Welcome to Minnesota everyone.  The only thing we like more than silly gun laws are taxes on everything ... Oh ... and ice fishing for ealpout (not necessarily in that order).
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:15:45 PM »

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:43:11 PM »
Perhaps Councilman Samuels should instead demand that the police to enforce what is no doubt already on the books regarding machineguns and shooting inside the city. If there is in fact a shooting war in the streets every night, as he alleged, even Barney Fife could make some arrests. Now THAT would solve the problem.
Mac.
ps. Barney likes ealpout.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk