Author Topic: Installing the Horanday Lock & Load AP  (Read 12013 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Installing the Horanday Lock & Load AP
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
I finally got to open my Lock and Load AP press today.  Started mounting and assembly process.  I've got some good things and some nits.

First here's a picture of it mounted on the table, but no dies installed.

MOUNTING:  They make it clear that it takes two 5/16" bolts that you must provide.   I have a "penny rail" around my bench to keep things from rolling off.  So I had to cut away about 8" to accommodate the press and the "finished round" box.   That box fits flush with the edge of the table.  No problem, cutting away the rail and I had the bolts so we were good to go.

SHELL PLATE:  One thing I already had was some short blocks of wood I use for various things.  With any progressive these blocks are great for holding the ram up while you work on the press.   They mention this in the instructions.   I didn't quite see how the "EZ Eject worked" until I ran some empty cases around.  The retention spring takes a little dip on the left where the finished round exits and the new shell is fed in. 

PRIMER FEED:  The press came with the large primer feed installed, so I had to replace.   Several big pictures in the manual help me figure it out.   Nice part is it comes with a white fiberglass rod that helps "ride" the primers down the tube.  (See picture below.)   That rod will also act as a signal, of sorts when you're low on primers.   I had intended on making one myself, but it came with the kit.

POWDER MEASURE:  The powder measure, though part of the kit, is packaged for sale as a separate item, so the LnL instructions refer you to the PM instructions.   The measure comes with both a large and small cylinder and meter.  The large was already installed so I had to switch them out.   This switching is a good thing, because that's how I learn all the ins and outs of the installation.  The primer parts have a light oil on them, so you have to degrease them.   I took it all apart and used Xylol first then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol.    Once installed it's easy to remove the PM.   I order the powder dump, but I think it's easier just to pull the whole measure out of the press.   I haven't tried it with powder but the linkages seem to work very well.

DIES:  The neat thing about the LnL and the bushings is how easy it is to take dies on and off without affecting their settings.   So with just an 1/8 of a turn the PM comes out and gives me room to mount the dies.  Because of the depth of the LnL bushing I almost run out of room for the locking ring, but everything fits.   I mounted the dies in order one at a time.  With each one I'd run some shells through it to make sure it was okay.  Then I'd remove that die and mount the next one.  The wood block for holding the shell plate up and preventing it from rotating was very valuable at this point.  Finally putting them all back in and running some shells around without primer or powder.  All worked smoothly.

Here's a picture of my first reloads:

YES, there's no primer....or powder.   These were practice rounds to make sure the press was adjusted and operating well.  It also gave me a chance to go over the "cadence" I would use in reloading.   1) Put in new empty  2) Check powder  3) Start bullet  4) Cycle ram  5) Bring ram up  6) Push forward to prime.  [edited]  New cadence now,  Empty Case, Prime, Check Powder, Seat Bullet, Cycle.

In the picture is also my utility wood block and the white rod used as a "follower" inside the primer tube.   I marked it with black ink to show when the primers were running low.   I may see about some electronic warning next.

POSITIVES:
  • The LnL Bushings are  great and allow me to quickly configure the press for different things and to remove dies to make it easier to work on other dies.   I have a couple of hundred rounds already sized and expanded, so just twist out those two dies and I can do primer/powder/bullet.  Just a twist and the other two dies are back in again.
  • Well made and lots of instructions.  Included is an instructional DVD, which I will review before I begin full operation.
  • Lots of leverage.  Running rounds through (without primer and powder) was easy and didn't require a lot of effort though it does requires about 150 degrees of swing.   I can see how a bent arm would keep you from reaching down as far.
  • All in all, simple and well made.  Rugged and seems very reliable.   

NEGATIVE:  (mostly nits)
  • They could have included 3" or 4" bolts which would have covered 99% of the installations
  • Some things come already installed.  Trouble is the instructions treat it like nothing is put together, so you waste time and get confused until you recognize this.
  • They could mark the parts.  "L" for large primer.  "S" for small.  It would be just reassuring.  I may color code for my own pleasure, red for large and green for small.
  • They need to put "de-grease" in big bold typeface all over the LnL and Powder Measure instructions.   Had I not wanted the smaller rotor and meter, I could easily missed the small type that warns that the PM is oiled to prevent rust.  Also, I'm sure some people could use some guidance in selecting a de-greaser. 
  • You have to mail in the warranty card with your own stamp.   Come on folks.....web based registration.
  • There is a rebate but it......well it sucks.    You get 5 "free" "boxes" of  bullets.    Two problems.  a)  A very limited choice of  probably the slower moving stock.  I chose the 500 handgun bullets.   b)  You have to pay shipping!   I'm sending in the rebate as a protest and telling them to deduct one of the 5 "free" boxes to cover the shipping cost.  If I paid shipping, their  $146.75 "rebate" really would only net me about $85 (using actual OTC prices, not MSRP).  And then that would be for style/weight/size bullets I don't really want.

Alright, they're mainly minor nits.  Did I mention it also comes with {edited} an abbreviated Hornady Reloading Manual, though the powder selection is limited.   I like it and think I got a better buy over Dillon.     I don't recommend Progressive if you've never reloaded before, though I'm sure many people have started with it.   But if you're ready to move up to progressive then I recommend the Hornady.

More info once I start reloading for real.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Installing the Horanday Lock & Load AP
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
I had a window of opportunity, so I went for it.   Thought I'd use up the last of my VV340 powder.  Had just enough for 200 rounds.

• First Mistake:  Remember I degrease'd the powder measure?  I had left the metering plug out.   Well I poured in the powder and it just came trickling back out.   Didn't loose a lot, but it made a mess!  HOWEVER, good lesson - see next point.
  • FOD:  In the Air Force FOD is Foreign Object Damage.   Actually it's also used as a noun to mean any foreign objects.  So I got powder all over everything.  FOD in, on and under the shell plate.  FOD in the primer feeder.   Progressives don't like FOD!   Especially the primer feeder.  So toothpicks and Q-tips can be your friend.  I think a slight modification to the shape of the primer feeder slider thingy will make it much more tolerant to FOD.  The shell plate actually doesn't mind the FOD except the EZ Eject can get a little rough.  Just keep things clean.
  • PRIMING:  This is the only place where I feel uncomfortable.   I'm use to hand seating my primers and inspecting them before proceeding.  With such a heavy press you can't feel them seating.  Nothing much I can do about that, except inspect the finished rounds afterwards.   I do stop now and then an pull a shell out to check.   I missed about 5 primers out of 300 rounds loaded.  Most in the first 100.  So much attention to priming is needed
  • LOW PRIMER:  My mark on the white follower works great.  Even better is the rod locks the primer feeder back after the last primer.  Very easy to watch for the last one.  Also, it will be very easy to mount a micro switch on the base that will be activated when the primer feeder is locked back.
  • CADENCE:  PRIME-NEW CASE-CHECK POWDER-PLACE BULLET-STROKE.   {revised}  CASE --  PRIME -- POWDER -- BULLET -- CYCLE  It's my "mantra" while I'm loading.

Did I mention how much I love the LnL feature.   Did 100 cases with all 4 dies.  Took out the re-sizer and expander dies and did 100 cases already size/expanded.  Put the dies back in and did another 100 with all 4.  C-o-o-o-o-o-o-l.   If priming continues to be a concern, I may break my reloading up into two sessions.  On run will be re-size, prime and expand.   Then inspect all the rounds.  Then powder, seating and crimping.   Yes it's slower, but I might feel better about it.  And with LnL.  It's so easy to do!!!

Oh, the primer pickup tubes work fine, it's just that I'm getting older and fingers get a little cramped holding that tube.   I may wrap some tape around the tube to give me an easier grip.

With my first runs I was doing a steady 6/minute.   Paused now and then to inspect primers, but basically 100 rounds in 20 minutes.  Sure beats the hour it use to take.  And so much less work.
Will work for ammo

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:14:02 AM »
I have a Lee progressive reloader that I really need to get set up.  I have had it for 5+ years and haven't ever done a reload!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
Looks good Alf! Think you'll spring for the automatic case feeder down the road?  Bill T.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
I have a Lee progressive reloader that I really need to get set up.  I have had it for 5+ years and haven't ever done a reload!

Got that one beat. I bought a Dillon RL550 around 1997 and it is still in the box......  :-\   :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:12:38 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
Looks good Alf! Think you'll spring for the automatic case feeder down the road?  Bill T.

While a great convenience, it is rather expensive....and noisy.  If I were to get motivated, I might buy some of the parts and try jury rigging my own "feeder" of sorts.   
Will work for ammo

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
Congrats Alf, I love my Dillon's, but Hornaday makes good products, on the priming issue, ( I do this with my hand primer as well )
when you seat the primer, don't let off, at least not much, just enough to take pressure off the case, turn it 1/3, reseat the primer, and then another 1/3 and reseat again, your primers will be well seated. Good luck with your new purchase.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 07:39:17 PM »
While a great convenience, it is rather expensive....and noisy.  If I were to get motivated, I might buy some of the parts and try jury rigging my own "feeder" of sorts.   

Actually that is not a bad idea.  Eliminate the big electric rotor at the top and go with a drop tube and the insertion linkage at the bottom.

Dropping a case in the tube will be quicker and require less concentration than getting it into the shell plate shot.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the write up and review alf, I have just ordered one myself together with 10 extra bushings and shell plates for .357 and 44 mag. I am thinking I will get a shell holder for .444 later on.
I am paying 650 for the press here in aus which tbh is a good price for here normally they are around 800.
I have a few presses but am looking at cutting down on some space, I have a Lee pro 1000 set up for 9mm, a lee prgressive turret, a lee o frame, a simplex  press, a mec 600jnr and a pacific shot shell reloader, a rcbs priming station etc TOO MUCH.
Hopefully this new press will allow me to load 44/357 in a timely manner a few hundred in a sitting.
Apparently these lock and loads are really smooth to operate which will be a welcome change on the clunky pro 1000.
I do like the idea of making a case feeder of sorts, will have to look into that when i get it and set it up.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
Having gone over the 2,000 mark and having now loaded 4 different calibers..

Again, the big advantage is how easy it is to tailor for various work.  (If you're only going to use it for one caliber, one load, one bullet -   get the Dillon 550)    I had 200 .357 cases already primed and another 200 not.  Setup the dies and started with the unprimed dies.  Once I got them through, a simple twist to remove the resizer and expander dies and I just kept on going.   When I finish I realized I had 100 more unprimed cases.  Filled the primer tube, twisted in the two dies and kept on trucking.

The biggest time consumer in switch calibers is adjusting the auto powder measure for different height cases.  Though having gone through it several times I'm now quicker at it.

Major nit is emptying the primer tube if you have left over primers.   Don't put in any more primers than you intend to use.  Hornady, says to empty the tube, to put your hand under the primer assembly and carefully remove the tube.  Hoping of course you catch all the primers.   I just try to make sure I can use all the primers I put in.   Instead of loading to number of cases or bullets, you tend to load to number of primers.

I also realized last week that I got 2 small primer tubes instead of 1 large and 1 small.  No problem.  Hornady shipped out a replacement right away.   PROBLEM.  I haven't had mail or UPS delivery for a week now!  (okay, okay 4 week days....hopefully she'll come today.   Ice storm.)

All in all I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get to the range to "unload" some of my cases.   I'm also out of one type of powder.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk