Author Topic: the mini 14 opinions  (Read 24403 times)

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: the mini 14 opinions
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
The Mini isn't really much of a bargain either. LGS sells new Minis for $600. A no frills A2 Bushmaster goes for $829. If u can pony up $600 then you can save a little longer and get the Bushmaster.

If the Mini were $450 then it might be worth considering.

I have no experience with the new & improved minis but every one I have ever seen is only "AK47" accurate. Anyone with an MOA Mini should never, ever sell it!

obijohn

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
ran a mini14 for 3 gun several years ago.  loved the way it handled and we did get it to shoot fairly well.  the problem was the groups would open up greatly after the rifle got hot.  cold it would group better than a rack ar, hot grouped like a shotgun.  i still like the rifle and think it is a great knock around

Combustion

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Has anyone tried out the Mini-14 Target Rifle. I have read some very mixed reviews, any info would be appreciated.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »
Anyone tried one of these H-Bar accurizing units on a Mini-14?

http://www.rogco.biz/

They are supposed to prevent "barrel droop" or vertical stringing after heating up during shot strings.

Thanks,

PegLeg

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Buckwheat McCoy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
Here’s my two cents worth.

For comparison I have an SKS, AK47, and two Mini 14s (substitute Mini 6.8 or 30 for discussion).

SKS ($150 Imported/used):  I replaced the wood furniture with TAPCO’s Fusion Stock System.  I replaced the bolt assembly dust covered with a UTG Tri-Rail and mounted a UTG 6x32 Illuminated scope ($59).  Also mounted is a Harris Bi-Pod.  I use ProMag Polymer 20 round detachable magazines.

AK (AK $350 New):  I replaced the wood butt stock and pistol grip furniture with TAPCO’s Fusion Stock System.  I replaced the wood fore end furniture with a UTG Quad-Rail system and mounted a BSA 1x Red Dot sight.  I use ProMag Polymer 30 round detachable magazines.

Mini 14s ($400 $450 used – 198XXX and 580XXX Series) (or 6.8 SPC or Mini 30):  I replaced the wood furniture with TAPCO’s Fusion Stock System.  I mounted a BSA 1x Red Dot sight on the upper rail and a UTC vertical fore grip on the bottom rail.  I used a generic side rail accessory and mounted a NC Star Tactical Light/Laser combo ($59) on that.  I use ProMag Polymer 30 round detachable magazines.

TAPCO Fusion Stock Systems will run you between $75 and $115 depending on the platform.  ProMag Polymer mags are $15 each at the local gun show.  The BSA Red Dot I picked up at Wal Mart for $29.99.  The UTG accessories will run you between $20 and $75.

ProMag Polymer mags:  I’ve ran several hundred rounds each through these guns and have had ZERO malfunctions.  I’ve had no problems with any of the ProMag Polymer mags.

BSA Red Dots:  These “cheapy” sights have never failed to hold zero.  I have fired all four guns at B29s (targets) from between 25 and 200 yards.  I applied 12” dia.  “Shoot N See” targets for “center mass” and have yet to be “off target.”  I’ve also experienced no overheating problems.  I figure that if I can hit a man-size target at 200 yards or less that is also moving and trying to kill me, I’m okay with a 4”, 6”, or 8” MOA.  For someone with “old eyes” (me), the results suit me fine.  These guns will out shoot me any day.  If I should find myself in a SHTF Main Battle Rifle scenario, then I’ll go with either the M1A or FN/FAL.  Now we’re talking MOA and accuracy.

For me (with a limited budget), the above combos work for me.  I’m happy.  In my opinion I was able to take “old” tech and retro fit with “new” tech” and upgrade these guns for the 21st century.  I believe that the basic operating systems are sound.  I simply “fine tuned” the rest.  For between $400 and $650 each I now have four rifles that I have 100% confidence in.  And the ammo is still relatively cheap.

I consider the SKS a “Poor Man’s” Main Battle Rifle and the AK and Minis to be carbines.  I take those definitions into account when considering Zero and accuracy.

When discussing the Minis I’m not that concerned about 3” or less MOA.  Mine are 100% reliable.  They are intended as “throw away” home defense weapons to be used under 100 yards; more realistically under 25 yards.  If I have to use one in a home defense situation, I would rather LE take a $400 weapon than a $1000 weapon.

I also use the Minis when shooting 3 Gun at the local Rod and Gun club.  They run right along with the tricked out $4000 ARs.  I’ve never had a malfunction.  The same can not be said for some of the more exotic ARs.  I have ARs and love them.  I just haven’t dropped $3000 into them.

I’m no exxpertt, it is just my humble opinion; as I said before, just my two cents worth.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:51:57 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
Anyone tried one of these H-Bar accurizing units on a Mini-14?

http://www.rogco.biz/

They are supposed to prevent "barrel droop" or vertical stringing after heating up during shot strings.

Thanks,

PegLeg

I saw that before in another thread and still wonder, when the barrel heats up and it doesn't then the barrel cools off again, would it cause vertical stringing, or prevent it like they claim? If it's clamped on tight it seems like the expanding barrel would bow and throw the shots.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »
These three guys seem to like 'em ;D
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »
I would personally never argue with the A-Team!

I've had a Mini for 2 forevers, and I've always thought they were better guns than they were ever given credit for. I shot 3-Gun with it back in the dawn of time; no, it wasn't a tack-driver, but it never left me hanging on the long shots, either. I still have it and will probably never get rid of it. I shot one of the new target versions, and it shot better than I did...with Winchester white box 55-grain.

I was up at the Ruger plant in New Hamster where hey were making the new Minis — the non-NRA tactical versions — and I loved it...I think I'm going to order one and go through a carbine class with it...then let's really see how it runs!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
Luckily my mini14 came with a factory option to compensate in case of poor accuracy...a bayonet lug.  But it shoots well and I'd trust it over a AR15 for its reliability.  My only complaint is the mag release and insert take serious practice to get good.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »
I've only sold 4 guns in my life... one was a mini 14.

Could not keep it on a paper plate at 100 yds past the 2nd shot.   I've seen a few where people spent 1500-2k on and are tact drivers, but thats not for me.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk