Author Topic: 6" or 8" barrel.  (Read 5182 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 6" or 8" barrel.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »
That's great TAB, I have eclectic, unique, antique furniture from the 1840's, and thoroughly enjoy being the one that has something not found at every range or collection.

But as I remember, you were bitchin' about the cost of 257 Roberts ammo,....I imagine 41 magnum costs are moot for you. ::)

After all, for a hunting pistol, it won't take many.

Stick with an 8". Cross draw holster, big SOB, like a S&W 500. but you'll certainly knock down what your aiming at.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 894
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:23:58 PM »
Check the target organization rules.  If they allow eight inch, and if you can handle the eight inch while shooting according to their rules (that extra two inches will be very noticeable during one handed shots on target), go with eight inch for the hunting.

If the target organization rules only allow six inch or less, go with the six inch.  There will be a difference in bullet velocity, but at handgun range it will not be a major factor in hunting.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
That's great TAB, I have eclectic, unique, antique furniture from the 1840's, and thoroughly enjoy being the one that has something not found at every range or collection.

But as I remember, you were bitchin' about the cost of 257 Roberts ammo,....I imagine 41 magnum costs are moot for you. ::)

After all, for a hunting pistol, it won't take many.

Stick with an 8". Cross draw holster, big SOB, like a S&W 500. but you'll certainly knock down what your aiming at.

257 weatherby, not roberts.  257 roberst is off the 7x57 muaser case and can be made cheap.  the 257 weatherby does not have parent case so its big bucks.  loaded ammo is only a few buck more then brass, there is only one manufactor of brassn norma.  its about $70 for 20.  41 mag is cheap and so is the brass.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
what you don't like being on the firing line with a gun that you know no one else there has?

I love it.   Touch off a round of .357Max in my T/C and everybody takes one step back from their shooting lane.  And the other day with the new 624, people wanted to know what was making all those big holes in the target.   It's one reason I'm looking for either a 625 LC or a 460 as my next gun.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
  41 mag is cheap and so is the brass.

Just FYI, I was pricing .44Spl brass and found I could buy it directly from Starline's web site cheaper than from the on-line retailers.  Ordered up 500 cases for starters.  Same price for .41Mag -  $147.75 per 1,000

http://www.starlinebrass.com

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:54:27 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »
Tab I have a 4" old 57, pinned and recessed, with lead bullets, shoots like a laser, I prefer 5" barrels, easier to carry, even on the hip and sitting in a car, get the little bit of velocity, but in a very carriable package, It kind of depends on your eyesight, the 8" does have some advantages for sight radius and velocity, but carry is not that easy, I have been playing with 270 grn gas check bullets, get back to you on that experiment.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
I like the .41 magnum. Its like the 10mm, a great cartridge that never took off the way it should. As far as your question? I guess the question is whether you will scope it or not. If you are, it 6" hands down. Sight radius doesn't matter and why deal with the extra weight? If not, its harder. Still, I'm not really sure what 8" buys that 6" doesn't with good sights, unless you plan on shooting iron at 100 yards. Even then, I'd weigh ergonomics vs accuracy into the equation when making the the call. Be advised though, I think Ruger had it right with the 4 5/8" barrel and I'm a bit biased towards shorter just for weildability issues. Either way, good luck. And yeah, I used to shoot a 16 gauge, so I get the oddball attraction. ;)
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
Just because I can't stand to agree with FQ  I will mention that the Ruger Blackhawk I used to have was 7 5/8 and it was not at all inconvenient. (Except the time I sat down with it stuck in my belt   :o  )

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1064
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
I used to shoot IHMSA type (metallic silhouette) matches with a .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk that has a 10.5" barrel. If you practice, you get used to the weight.

The 8" (as others have stated) is the way to go, especially for maximizing a hunting round's effectiveness....IMHO.
And the .41 could possibly be a better hunting round than the .44 on many game animals due to the tendency to have flatter trajectories. The difference in diameter of the bullet is negligible.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
It won't see a scope.  It might see some pigs and deer, but thats about it.   I'm not really into hunting 4 legged criters, I prefer the kind with wings.  No BS, the pigs in CA on average weight twice what the average deer does.  a 100 lb deer is big for most of CA. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk