Author Topic: SIG556 vs Ruger SR556  (Read 19608 times)

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SIG556 vs Ruger SR556
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
I am about a week away from having to make my pick between the Ruger and the SIG. I can get either one for about $1450 locally. I know that both guns are exceptionally well made but I am really having a hard time picking. Can anyone make arguments for me why one would be a better choice for a home defense, travel carbine? I've had ARs but when it comes to the SIG I am not sure what benefits the SIG offers over the piston AR and in particular I'm looking at the 1/7 twist of the SIG versus the 1/9 on the Ruger. How will that impact the use of 55 grain ammo? I believe the SIG offers a folding stock ability but can it be shot with the stock folded. I was taking a hard look at an ACR/SCAR to get into a "next gen" rifle. Thoughts and recommendations from my "experts"?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: SIG556 vs Ruger SR556
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
Well, as a Sig owner since Feb. 08, I can attest to several things.

1. Eric Lund the Mod of this thread, (who hasn't been heard from for a while),  :P has chosen the Sig556 for his primary competitive rifle. Not only did he, neglect, abuse, and torture test the crap out of it, he gave it an A+ rating as a weapon of choice.
The posts are here in the archives.

2. MB's video review and subsequent torture test, (also here in the vid archives) made the choice for me as well. The Sig556 received nothing but thumbs up.

3. Personally, there have been many mods to the stocks, foregrip, etc,....but my Sig, has done nothing but work, except for Wolf ammo. (One has to set the gas piston to position 2 to get that Russian ammo to cycle.)

4. It was voted top rifle of the year in 2008, on the Sig550 series that is right up there with the FN FAL for tried and true worthiness.

5. Customer service is great. (I'm sure Ruger is as well)

6. The "keep it simple stupid" was designed into the Sig with an AK rotating bolt assembly, that has 3 parts. Easy to clean, easy to strip, easy to maintain.

7. It is fwd. heavy, but well balanced, Eric put a Titan Comp on his and I put a Miculek comp on mine. (Big difference.) All good.

1/7,.....1/9 check that,...my Sig is 1/9, newer models may offer an option, but 1/9 covers the majority of ammo unless your talking heavier rounds, (past 62gr.) for tournament shooting.

8. The damn thing shoots very accurately. Plan on optics, or something as the factory BUIS frankly,...suck. Plenty of flip ups, or optics available.

9. It is more accurate with 5.56 ammo. Prefers the "real" 5.56 rds. Shoots Wally World .223 all day, but really shines with XM193.

10. It's a Sig

11. Ruger had to copy it.

12. I love my Sig. I believe Pathfinder has one also. (His even shoots Wolf Ammo)

13.  ;D

14. My son loves it.

15. It just looks as bad ass as it is.

16. 2 stage Match Grade Trigger

I'm sure all the Ruger reports are similar. It will be a personal choice, but the Sig, is a fantastic option.

Both great rifles...

Just my $1.19....adjusted for inflation.... ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
I'm looking at the 1/7 twist of the SIG versus the 1/9 on the Ruger. How will that impact the use of 55 grain ammo?

It won't mean a thing. A 1 in 7" twist barrel is not necessary for all but the heaviest of .224 bullets. In fact I just picked up the new Hornady 8th Edition Reloading Manual. All of their .223 rifle data for both bolt action as well as AR-15 service rifle was shot in either a 1 in 12" twist Remington 700, or a Colt AR-15 with a 1 in 9" twist Citadel barrel. This included weights up to and including 80 Grains.  Bill T.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
I can't speak to either rifle other than to say I'd take either. I can say that you won't notice a dimes worth of difference with .55 grain ammo. I don't think you'll notice a difference until you start getting into the mid to high sixty grain bullets and up, at which point the 1/7 is better. If you aren't going to be shooting heavy match/hunting rounds, I would take the 1/7 off your list of positives and evaluate the rifles on the remaining factors (which should incude barrel weght, lenghth, quality etc., but I woldn't sweat the twist rate too much).
FQ13

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »
Can the SIG use standard PMAGs or does it require special SIG mags?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:13:41 PM »

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
Can the SIG use standard PMAGs or does it require special SIG mags?

Have a large box full of Pmags (loaded in picture),....Uses Standard AR mags. When I built my new AR, I wanted to utilize a redundancy in a rifle platform.

Stoner, Orlite, GI milsurp, Colt, Cammenga, Pmags, as long as its an AR mag, it works.

Did I mention the SS cold forged barrel? ;D

OBTW, Exeter, NH,....benefits the Bogan's neck of the woods.... ;)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
Is it able to fire with the stock folded? Not that I intend to but you never know when you would need to.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Is it able to fire with the stock folded? Not that I intend to but you never know when you would need to.
That's another thing. Are they both compatible with all other mil-spec AR bells and whistles? 2/3rds of the appeal of the AR is its modularity and "plug'n play" capability. It it won't take spare parts, barrels, uppers, lower's stocks etc., that's a big negative in my book. Its one thing I'd think about wirh the gas piston gun. How many parts (that you realisticaly can change for yourself) are different from a regular AR? Is the trade off worth it? (I have no opinion here as they sound cool, but I have no experience. Its just something I'd think about).
FQ13

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »
That's another thing. Are they both compatible with all other mil-spec AR bells and whistles? 2/3rds of the appeal of the AR is its modularity and "plug'n play" capability. It it won't take spare parts, barrels, uppers, lower's stocks etc., that's a big negative in my book. Its one thing I'd think about wirh the gas piston gun. How many parts (that you realisticaly can change for yourself) are different from a regular AR? Is the trade off worth it? (I have no opinion here as they sound cool, but I have no experience. Its just something I'd think about).
FQ13

No you are absolutely right. I think most of it for me is just wanting to do something different. How well does the little sig red dot work? I'm seeing a lot of the sig rifles are including them with the rifle.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »

THAT, is one question I don't know. I have not been to the Sig Forum in a while. However.

SIG SAUER Customer Service Department:

Phone: (603) 772-2302 (press #3 for Customer Service)

Please be advised that our customer service phones have peak call times and you may wait several minutes for a representative if calling at these times. Our peak call times are, Monday 10am - 4pm, Tuesday through Friday 11am - 2pm.

Please note: If you are call about information or service on an existing firearm, please be sure to have the serial number ready for the customer service representative.

For your convenience, please refer to our FAQ page prior to submitting your inquiry.
Fax: (603) 772-4795

Hours:
Monday thru Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm EST.

You will get an answer. I suspect they DO fire with folded stock, and Sig also makes a California compliant model,..(stay away from those)... They take all the goodies away,.... :-\

Everything is AR compatible, except bolt assembly. There is no buffer spring, or buffer. The bolt doesn't work that way. However, a Sig spare parts kit is about $60-80. and will replace, mag release, safety, trigger, and bolt. It is built more like an AK than an AR.

Again, Keeping it simple.
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk