Author Topic: how much wood to reinforce a chipboard reloading bench top  (Read 8331 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
how much wood to reinforce a chipboard reloading bench top
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »

I've been using a cheap metal / chip board bench to reload on for years
and it's worked ok so far.  There's starting to get to be too much 'flex'
in the top.  I've got some 'shortie' 2 x 12 and 2 x 10 scraps around.
As a stop gap do you think a 12  to 16" piece of 2x12 (or maybe 2x10)
glued and screwed to the top would take out a lot of the flex?

It's just a single stage press and doing basic reloading - not swagging boolets
or forming cases
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

tombogan03884

Re: how much wood to reinforce a chipboard reloading bench top
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I would not mess with the chip board.
Just replace it with 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood.
If you try to patch it with the plank pieces even with washers where you bolt down the press you are still going to have problems.

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
because of the way it's set up replacing  will be a pain - maybe just 'redeck' with 3/4"  plywood - glue and screws
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »
Press board doesn't hold screws very well.
If you go that route you will need to pre drill your holes and figure on it just being a temporary fix till you get another table, or at least the time and patience to retop this one properly.

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
new table is the ultimate goal - know what you mean about press board and screws - but lots of construction adhesive I'm thinking will do the bonding and the screws will more or less be clamps

I can't complain I've had the bench for 15 years and it's held up better than expected

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:19:36 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
If possible bolt through the frame, that should take care of you.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
Use standard wood glue spread evenly over the entire surface of the particle board and the rough side of a piece of 3/4" ACX plywood, put the plywood on top and pile the entire surface with weight, then drill for bolts to hold anything you attach.  Use large plates between the nuts and the particle board.

Try also to anchor your new plywood top all the way down to whatever the old particle board is anchored to.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
I've been using a hollow core door for a loading bench top  for years!  I started out with a single stage press and graduated to a Dillon 550.  I bolted the SS to a piece of 1 X 12 and then C clamped it to the bench.  When I got the 550 I bolted it to a piece of 3/4" (I believe) maybe 1" CDX...MDX whatever and it held up for years until I finally split it.  Now the 550 is bolted to 3/4" plywood and C clamped.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
Use 3/4 inch plywood, glue it to the particle board. Then screw them together with wood screws from the bottom(through the particleboard), just make sure your screws don't go all the through. That should make it sturdy enough.
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk