Author Topic: Questions for any armed security guards out there.  (Read 7535 times)

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Questions for any armed security guards out there.
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
Are you guys issued your side arms by the company or do you get to pick your own?

If you can pick your own, what did you choose and why?

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Questions for any armed security guards out there.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »
I'm not a security guard, nor do I play one on the internet, but in Colorado non-LEO security is restricted to carrying a wheel gun.  That may have changed but that is the way it was a couple of years ago.

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
No longer a guard, but used to be.  The company I worked for issued us .38 Special Smiths. 
Life Member of the NRA

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »
When I was unemployed I looked into it in NJ but the pay is really crappy. Talked to two new hires in a gun shop who were shopping for their own carry. They said they needed something with at least 10 rounds- after that they were looking for the cheapest thing they could find. They were looking at old Smith 9s (PD trade ins) I suggested they should think about reliability but don't know what they settled on.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
Interesting thanks.   :)

I am thinking of going into the field and just starting to seperate reality from my own personal expectations.  The pay for armed security starts arouind what I make right now.

I keep remembering this one unarmed, female security guard walking down Woodward, in Detroit, one night to her job.  She was so scared that she asked us to pray for her safety.  So I think that all security jobs are like that.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:02:58 AM »

Frosty

• Top Forum Member
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
I'm not a security guard, nor do I play one on the internet, but in Colorado non-LEO security is restricted to carrying a wheel gun.  That may have changed but that is the way it was a couple of years ago.

I have a 2nd job as a security officer (in Colorado), the armed security officers that work for the same company carry M&P's & Glocks and a few other brands that each armed guard supplies. I have not seen anyone carry wheel guns, not even the armored car folks. When I got hired they asked me if I wanted to go armed and asked what gun(s) I would carry. I told them I have S&W M&P .45 F/S and M&P 9c, the Co. said they were ok.
I am not armed due to I work for them part time and I am not assigned a permenante location (Co. rules state you must be assigned a permenante location in order to be armed.) A couple of times they have sent me to locations to protect unknown amounts of cash and to protect a person in the ICU at a hospital the Co. felt was in danger from unknown persons wanting to finish him off since they didn't get the job done the first time. When I inquired what I am to do should someone want to complete the job and finish the guy off, I was told to radio the armed security officers a floor below and on the other side of the hospital and they would respond  :o to my cries of HELP! As for the $$ situation, I was told I am there to observe and call 911 should something go down (this $$ institution had been held up 3 times prior), I no longer do those assignements because I will be fired for helping the robbers take the $$ and allow the supposed killer access to the person.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.”  H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun,  July 26, 1920.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
We have a gunshop employee that hangs out here, and I would be interested in hearing his take on this.

I was in his shop and another shop over the last couple months and in both cases overheard people purchasing for this purpose.  I won't go into all I heard except to say it had absolutely no parallel to my criteria.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
Most of the armed security folks who I help do not get a stipend for their gun.  That being said, there are a few who get some form of reimbursement but they have strings attached (length of employment being one).  Most are given a list of guns that are approved for carry but some are just a description of allowed and disallowed features.  In general, they are prohibited from carrying a single action only pistol.  Some lists rule out guns with any kind of manual safety even ones like Beretta.  Also, most smaller pistols with a barrel length of 3 inches or less are not allowed either.

The most commonly purchased firearm for security is a used gun - Glock, M&P and Springfield XD or XDM.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
A couple of times they have sent me to locations to protect unknown amounts of cash and to protect a person in the ICU at a hospital the Co. felt was in danger from unknown persons wanting to finish him off since they didn't get the job done the first time. When I inquired what I am to do should someone want to complete the job and finish the guy off, I was told to radio the armed security officers a floor below and on the other side of the hospital and they would respond  :o to my cries of HELP! As for the $$ situation, I was told I am there to observe and call 911 should something go down

These situations seem like insanity to me. Call for help or call 911? 
Gee thanks boss! How about a prayer begging for restraint on the killers part...
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »
These situations seem like insanity to me. Call for help or call 911? 
Gee thanks boss! How about a prayer begging for restraint on the killers part...
If you think its bad for the guard, think about the poor sob being "protected". At least the guard can run. ???
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk