Author Topic: What Am I Doing wrong?  (Read 7259 times)

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Am I Doing wrong?
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
I've been depriming .223 brass, first with a full length sizing die, and then with a general decapping die. Both dies are Lee brand. Anyway, the depriming rod has a rod with a smaller "pin" set into a cavity. This pin keeps being pulled out, stuck in the flash hole. Is this germane to Lee brand? Or does all brands of deprimers operate similarly? I'm sure it is cheaper to manufacture these in two pieces and press them together.

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: What Am I Doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:43 PM »
Check the brass, it might not be boxer primed, if they are berdan primed you would be punching a hole through the primer pocket which could cause the decapping pin to stick.

side view of a berdan primed case

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/berdanprimers.html
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
Thanks, but it isn't Berdan primed. The die has a safety feature built into it if an odd Berdan gets into the mix. the depriming rod is made to push up if it meets too much resistance, and would then be reset. This is depriming and then catching in the flash hole on the up stroke.

Brian

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:31:03 PM »
undersized flash hole would be my next thought
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »
Excess pressure rounds will force brass into the Primer pocket and flash hole, is this factory ammo or some ones hot reloads ?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:56:37 PM »

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »
undersized flash hole would be my next thought

This is a thought that I got from another board. The brass is of mixed head stamp, with a predominance of military. Supposedly, IMG brand is notorious for undersized flash holes, and that is one of the dominant brands. These are mostly my own once fired, with an amount of range pick ups mixed in.

Now for a solution. Do other brands of dies operate the same as Lee? I need to figure out something as I have over 1000 cases to process.

Brian

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »
undersized or wrong/defective depriming rod are the only 2 things that come to mind.   

if its not happening ever time, its most likly not the rod but the brass.  I only throw tha tout there as I've seen the wrong decaping rod on dies before.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
Get a  Lyman Universal Decaping die. Mine has never given me a minutes trouble.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
OK, I solved my problem, BUT! I created another. I bought a RCBS decapping die and no longer have the problem of the decapping pins pulling out. The model I bought has "headed" pins, that don't allow them to pull out. The new problem is breaking the pins. I bought a pkg of 5, in addition to the one it came with, and tonight  I went thru all of them. Is there a secret to getting them centered? I just need to get thru about another hundred or so. I really like this style of rod/stem over Lee, just need to figure this out.

Brian

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »
No "secret" to it, even a "no experience beginner like me managed it with no problems.
You just have a bunch of shit brass.
After you get through them ream the flash holes to a more reasonable size.
You said "These are mostly my own once fired, "
If you mean they were your loads you should go with a lighter load .
Industry standardizes as much as possible, having worked with metal for nearly 30 years I would be leery of gossip about "undersize primer holes" I would be much more suspicious of pressure levels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk