Author Topic: Travelling with rifles by car?  (Read 5177 times)

Mericet

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Gunsmithing blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Travelling with rifles by car?
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
Going on a prairie dog shooting trip in SD and will be travelling there from NC (at least to IA) in my Porsche 944. Taking 3 rifles (which means the back seat needs to be down) and a bunch of ammo. All the rifles will be cased and locked with the bolts removed and stored separately. Will be staying overnight in Indianapolis, IN and meeting with the rest of my party in Des Moines, IA. My trip will take me through NC, VA, WV, OH, IN, IL(central) and IA. From my reading of the info on the NRA-ILA site, this should satisfy the law but thought I should ask here as well.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Travelling with rifles by car?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
According to the McClure-VolKmer Act (sic?) you are fine. Federal law states that as long as a gun in transit is legal at the point of origin and at the point of destination and is cased and unloaded you are good in transit. I have heard horror stories about airport BS, but, as a rule you should be fine. Besides, as long as you keep that thing to the speed limits and drive sober no cop should  be looking in your backseat  to begin with.Throw a blanket and a clothes bag over them.
 As far as your overnight, In. is a gun friendly state. OTOH, from my experiences in Indy, I'd probably want to bring the guns AND the car into the hotel room at night. :o
FQ13
PS A Porsche full of guns you say? Just so I can check on local laws, could you post an itinerary, licence plate and car color? ;D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 892
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
I haven't read all  the states you are traveling through, but you are meeting the spirit of any law.  There are states that require guns and ammo in separate compartments, but you can't.  However, you are locking disabled guns in one case and ammo is not in that case. 

As FQ stated, put a garment bag or other plain jane item over the gun case so it isn't visible and doesn't scream gun.  Don't leave the guns in the car overnight.  Take them into your room for safety.

IMPORTANT  TRAVEL  TIP:  Once you meet your party in Des Moines I suggest you take 35 into Minnesota and get on 90.  You will not get through Council Bluffs and north on 29!  Unless you have a very powerful boat.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:19:36 AM »
Don't speed!  I guess what I mean is don't do anything to call attention to yourself.  Stay as low profile as you can in a Porsche!  LOL

Have fun,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Mericet

• Gunsmithing blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:59:08 AM »
Thank you everyone. My stop in Indy is at a friend's house and yes, even the rifles will come inside at night. Thank you for the reminder on covering everything. I was planning on doing that. As difficult as it might be, I will be driving a little slower than normal (which to me is about 7-8 mph over the limit). Thank you for the heads up on road conditions m58. I would be surprised if they did not know about this as they have very active ties to law enforcement and emergency management agencies.

This will be the first time shooting prairie dogs and I can not wait.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:00:31 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 892
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
Have a great trip and let us know the numbers.

Talked to a friend this morning, and several miles of 29 has been under for almost a week.  Today is the day that Sioux City gets hammered with what should be the highest levels, and now we watch to see if the levees can hold that level for two months.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Mericet

• Gunsmithing blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
Safely in Des Moines. On to SD tomorrow  (on 35).

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:45:34 AM »
In 90% of those states they wouldn't need to have the bolts removed, except ILL. But it's a good call to do what your doing.

As several posts here at DRTV have proven, even some of the "po-po" don't know their own gun laws.

Would hate to be questioned in another state for a burned out tail light "in a Porsche" and have rifle cases in the back seat explaining anything to a cop that may be ignorant of the law.

Have a safe trip, and get them prairie rats.

We love the videos of nuclear exploding prairie dogs.  ;D

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »
Good luck and have fun. Just read the post and glad you mentioned taking everything inside while in Indy. It is getting rough down there.

Mericet

• Gunsmithing blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Safely in Faith, SD. No problems and actually saw very little LE presence to Des Moines. Luckily I was only a passenger today. But, I must be crazy. I have now driven 27 hours from NC to be here, will spend 3 days here and will then drive back again. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk