Author Topic: Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Laws. Gotta Wonder Sometimes  (Read 8142 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/motorcyclist-dies-on-ride-protesting-helmet-law/

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike’s handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Not going to add much persuasion to the cause....
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Badgersmilk

I say let them ride anyway they want so long as they've got insurance for it.  They've got little notations on your license for eye glasses and such.  So if you have a motorcycle permit, note if your covered for riding without a helmet.  That way tax payers aren't picking up the bill, and it's between you and your insurance company how much doing it is worth to you.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Hey, maybe you can fix stupid.   :o

Timothy

I'm alive because I was wearing a helmet!

In CT, they have mandatory seat belt laws, no cell phones while driving, etc....an NO helmet law!

Stupid is a relative term....I grew up wearing them in Michigan and wouldn't ride a bicycle without a helmet these days. 

fullautovalmet76

As a former rider, I think one should have the choice to wear one or not. And with that choice comes responsibility.

And though no one has gotten on the "everyone who rides a motorcycle must wear a helmet" soapbox, I would caution anyone who thinks that way to consider the anti's use the same kind of reasoning for concealed carry permits, magazine capacity restrictions, etc. If we want people to respect our rights on how and what we carry, we have to respect their rights too....So now I'm getting off my soapbox....Good night....

-FA

Sponsor

Timothy

!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
I don't really care one way or the other if one wears a helmet or not!  Just don't expect to sue me or my insurance company if you become a vegetable because of your own "right" to express your ignorance.  I do find it a bit of an oxymoron in CT when I am required by law to wear a seat belt and riders can chose to not wear a helmet...that's all I'm saying!

I got run over by an under insured immigrant.  My dumb luck he wasn't driving a Mercedes.

BTW, I've been wearing a seat belt since I took driver training in 1972...won't ride in a car without one!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
As a former rider, I think one should have the choice to wear one or not. And with that choice comes responsibility.

And though no one has gotten on the "everyone who rides a motorcycle must wear a helmet" soapbox, I would caution anyone who thinks that way to consider the anti's use the same kind of reasoning for concealed carry permits, magazine capacity restrictions, etc. If we want people to respect our rights on how and what we carry, we have to respect their rights too....So now I'm getting off my soapbox....Good night....

-FA
Amen brother. If you don't wear a helmet you are a jackass. If I try to make you wear one, I am infringing on your rights. In a free society it should be just that simple: your body, your choice, your right to decide, but don't come crying to me if things go south.
FQ13

tombogan03884

So what is the point of this thread ? The irony of it ? Like Gandhi, MLK, and other pacifists who have been shot to death ?
If so, ignore the rest of this post.

If it is that every one should wear a helmet I have one comment.
F*ck you.
People who push for"mandatory" anything laws all suck.
They are no better than the communists who rammed Obama care down our throats.
Any one who thinks you can legislate safety or good sense is an idiot.
Don't believe me ? Go check the actual average speeds on your closest highway Vs. the posted speed limit.
Around here the posted limits are 55 & 65 depending on which road.
Actual speed is 70-75. All other roads the rule of thumb is you won't get stopped less than 10MPH over the posted limit.
Another example, While they threaten everything but castration for drunk driving people still do it in huge numbers and then bitch about it when they get stopped.
I'm wasting my breath.
This is a nation of gutless faggots that let Michel Bloomberg tell them what foods they can eat, and what oils they can cook with.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
If anyone wants to get a Darwin award because they didn't wear a helmet that should be their choice, but they should think about the family they leave behind.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfack

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
So what is the point of this thread ? The irony of it ? Like Gandhi, MLK, and other pacifists who have been shot to death ?
If so, ignore the rest of this post.

If it is that every one should wear a helmet I have one comment.
F*ck you.
People who push for"mandatory" anything laws all suck.
They are no better than the communists who rammed Obama care down our throats.
Any one who thinks you can legislate safety or good sense is an idiot.
Don't believe me ? Go check the actual average speeds on your closest highway Vs. the posted speed limit.
Around here the posted limits are 55 & 65 depending on which road.
Actual speed is 70-75. All other roads the rule of thumb is you won't get stopped less than 10MPH over the posted limit.
Another example, While they threaten everything but castration for drunk driving people still do it in huge numbers and then bitch about it when they get stopped.
I'm wasting my breath.
This is a nation of gutless faggots that let Michel Bloomberg tell them what foods they can eat, and what oils they can cook with.

Seriously!! Bunch of big govt. tool ass bitches. While I think you should always wear a helemt. The govt. has no business forcing people to. They just passed a law in King county, here, where they say you have to wear a life jacket to swim in the river or get a $100 ticket.. Good thing this is the land of the free, or is it? Every day it gets less so! It is so pathetic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk