Author Topic: FN FNAR 308 Tactical ----- good buys  (Read 36020 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
FN FNAR 308 Tactical ----- good buys
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
All of a sudden I've got this desire for an FN FNAR, .308 tactical using the BAR (hunting version) action.   Tack driver in a semi-auto package.

So I noticed there are some good buys out there on the auction sites.

Typically sells for ~$1,400.

$1,199 NIB  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240138680

$850 w/ 3 magazines http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239280865

$899  BUY NOW  http://www.gunsamerica.com/967178110/Guns/Rifles/FNH-Fabrique-Nationale-Rifles/Semi-auto/Other/FN_FNAR_Semi_Auto_Rifle_in_7_62_NATO_Use.htm#

$950 w/ muzzel thread http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240086172

$1,025 w/ bipod, 3200 scope http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239535363

Decision.  Decision.

Oh wait.   No money this month.......duh.

Alf  <--- will work for ammo and guns
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: FN FNAR 308 Tactical ----- good buys
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
Aw, c'mon Alf. Just buy it. You don't need food or gas money.  ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
I'm back and forth on this weapon. I like it because it is a well proven action. I don't like it because it is way overpriced when compared to a all steel receivered Safari BAR, which can be had in .308 for around $850.00, compared to the Aluminum receivered FNAR for $1,100.00. All you get with the FNAR is magazine capacity and the "Tacticool" look.

The Safari Grade has a beautiful blued finish, all steel receiver, along with a nicely finished Walnut stock. It can also be had with the B.O.S.S. System and Magnum chamberings, up to and including .338 Win. Mag. It's just a nicer, cheaper rifle that gives a lot more for your money when compared to the FNAR. However, they are accurate, and can be had in a heavy barrel. The magazines are proprietary and very expensive. They are also difficult to obtain. So it basically all boils down to how much you want it over a M1-A, FAL, CETME, or any of the .308 AR models that are out there.   Bill T.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
Get the M1-A.... ::)

Or you could build an AR-10 practically identical to the LWRC REPR, MSRP $2800, for $1500 or less......piece by piece over time.

just my humble one and a half cents,..... ;)

Although the FN does have that "tacticool" look, and is a very nice rifle...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »
Scottsdale Gun Club has them for $1,199.00 for the Heavy Barreled Model. That's cheaper than Cabela's.   Bill T.

http://sgcusa.com/rifles/fn/fn-ar-308-heavy-20-barrel.html

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:00:33 AM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
I won't say a word.  Cause it only takes three letters...  F A L   ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »
F A L......I've looked at them and would rather have the FNAR.  The imported FALs don't look really great and the SA58 is a bit pricier than the FNAR.   If I'm going to have a .308 seim-auto, I think the FNAR is the way to go.   Remember I lean toward accuracy, but can't afford a Les Baer.

And by the by, two FNARs have recently sold on auction sites for <$1,000 with shipping in the last 48 hours!  You can buy them all day for $1,199 NIB.

Just a matter of some creative accounting with the wife.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Badgersmilk

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
Sounds like you've done your research, and know what you want.  Commit and buy that puppy!  It's looong been said.  "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".   ;D  ;)

Then again, don't listen to me.  After two weeks of shopping for and choosing the right new shooting toys, I just spent that much buying a second scooter cause we always fight over who gets to ride the one we have now.   :-\

I had narrowed it down to a 9-shot Mossberg Mariner, or a MPA Defender.  And coulda got em both for what the scooter cost!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
1.) It's a weapon.

2.) You want it because you like it.

3.) The price has come down, and it's a good one.

4.)BUY IT!!! Like Mt. Everest, because it's there.   Bill T.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
Didn't WatchmanUSA, win the MB FNAR last year?   Hmmm,....don't remember a range report......perhaps a "Hey Man" to him would provide some personal insight....

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk