Author Topic: .45 ACP Problem ---- SOLVED  (Read 9150 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
.45 ACP Problem ---- SOLVED
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:39:40 AM »
Okay, I've been keeping a dirty dark secret.

As many know, I got a new Hornady progressive press at Christmas.  I've loaded, 9mm, .38Spl, .40S&W, .44Spl, .223 and .357Mag.  But only recently have I tried to load .45ACP.   (I had a big stock that I've just got around to shooting.)

Anyway, I ran into a problem.  The bullets weren't "holding" in the case.   I mean I had bought brand new Hornady dies AND I was using the Lee Factory Crimp die as well.  About 5 out of every 100 were loose.  Double checked the die settings.  Screwed in the seating/crimping die until it crushed the case then backed off a 1/2 turn.  Nada.  Still a problem

Measured the cases...nope not any big difference  I was using range brass but brand didn't seem to matter.
Measured the bullet....nope, not that either...all same size.
Checked the internet for help.....nada there too.

I put that aside last week as I needed to stock up on .357mag and 9mm.   Sometimes letting a problem season will help you see more clearly where the problem lies.

So this morning, while putting something away on my storage shelves I noticed the Hornady box that those BRAND NEW dies came in.   It said......

.45 COLT

DUH! ! ! ! ! ! !  !

Grabbed the manual and sure enough there's a case mouth delta of 7mils between .45 ACP and .45Colt.  Plus of course the ACP round wasn't getting fully inserted into the longer .45Colt die.

How stupid.   Did I order the wrong die?  Or did they send the wrong one?  I'll check......<tick tock>  Crap I picked this one up myself at BPS.   How stupid.   At least the mystery of the loose bullets is solved.

ANYWAY:   MORAL OF STORY:    READ THE FRIGGING MANUAL  (and labels)

Now the quandary:  I had written off obtaining a .45LC pistol as a luxury.....but that I own a set of dies and 20 pieces of brass I picked up on the range......?????

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: .45 ACP Problem ---- SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
It happens.
Now that you have the dies you might as well get the guns for CAS.   ;D
It would be a shame to let those dies just sit there  ;D

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
Alf, don't feel bad, it can happen to the best of us!  An additional piece of info.  CZZ .45 Match brass can do the same thing with proper .45 dies!  I had a bunch of it and had to go back and re-adjust my die to take care of it.  Wasn't a problem using that setting with any other .45 brass so I left it that way.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

david86440

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »

Now the quandary:  I had written off obtaining a .45LC pistol as a luxury.....but that I own a set of dies and 20 pieces of brass I picked up on the range......?????

Or you can load them and sell them to me.................. I need a few rounds of .45 Colt to try in my ducktown 45 colt derringer.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
Or you can load them and sell them to me.................. I need a few rounds of .45 Colt to try in my ducktown 45 colt derringer.

Ouch? ? ? ? ?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:11:56 AM »

david86440

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Ouch? ? ? ? ?

The guy I bought it from had never shot it and after checking it over I realized why.

It would fire both chambers at the same time due to the chamber selector on the hammer being too wide and striking both pins simultaneously.

I reworked the selector, firing pins, breach face and finally have it so it is fairly reliable.

To test it out I needed something to put in the chambers and I didn't have any .45 Colts but I did have .44 Rem Mag. I compared cartridge rims and lengths  according to my Ammo & Ballistics book and looked like they are both pretty close.

I tested function by using primed cartridges with no powder or projectile.

The next step was to find something I had on hand to actually shoot in it. I slugged the barrels and found that my .457 round balls might work so I expanded the .44 brass to accept the ..457 round ball and then started working up loads with 2400 and Unique.

Up to this point everything I have tried in has been really mild.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
That's a mean lookin' little thing there.   
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »
I went shooting at the Cherokee Gun Club ISPSC match today.   On the way back i stopped by Bass Pro and picked up the Hornady .45 ACP dies.   Ran some test cases and it appears problem solved.

Friday I went shooting at the indoor range and got talkin' to the fellow next to me.   He was bangin' away with .44Mag Henry rifle and a .357 and a Taurus Judge.   So I casually asked if he wanted his brass.   I got 50 rounds of .44 Mag and of  .45 Colt and 100 rounds of .357.  Score.   Plus my 500 round order of .44 Mag brass arrived today from Starline.

DAVID, want me to ship you the .45Colt brass?   I'm trying not to be tempted.   Postage is my treat.   Your derringer looks cool.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

david86440

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »
I went shooting at the Cherokee Gun Club ISPSC match today.   On the way back i stopped by Bass Pro and picked up the Hornady .45 ACP dies.   Ran some test cases and it appears problem solved.

Friday I went shooting at the indoor range and got talkin' to the fellow next to me.   He was bangin' away with .44Mag Henry rifle and a .357 and a Taurus Judge.   So I casually asked if he wanted his brass.   I got 50 rounds of .44 Mag and of  .45 Colt and 100 rounds of .357.  Score.   Plus my 500 round order of .44 Mag brass arrived today from Starline.

DAVID, want me to ship you the .45Colt brass?   I'm trying not to be tempted.   Postage is my treat.   Your derringer looks cool.

I sent you a message Alf. I may take you up on your offer but will gladly pay.

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
Hi;

This may be the best excuse to buy a Cowboy Pistol in .45 long colt. I collect brass at 2 different ranges and when I amass a lot of casings for calibers I do not have a weapon for, it makes me either trade the brass for the shoratges of brass in the calibers I need   OR   I use the excuse of buying a weapon in that caliber.

Do not look at the purchase of the long colt dies as a mistake - but that of an opportunity presented.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk