Author Topic: EU/ED  (Read 4202 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EU/ED
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Dave James’ Elbow Up – Elbow Down or EU/ED

Dave James is a retired Peace Office and, if memory serves me, U.S. Army combat veteran. He also grew up with, and was tutored by, some pretty big men in the field, fathers of the trade, so to speak, such as Col. Charles Askins, Mr. Delph C. "Jelly" Brice, and Mr. William Henry “Bill” Jordan to name but a few. Additionally, Dave’s great-grandfather, a Civil War vet, and his grandfather, were both Marshalls, his father, a Navy flyer and intelligence officer, knew and learned from them all, and so did Dave.

As Mr. James explains it: “Elbow Up/Elbow Down, plain and simple, has been around for ages, but I believe it was the gentleman from Singapore (William Ewart Fairbairn) that brought it in to the light as printed word.

(Picture if you would a circle flat alongside your body, like holding a spoke less wheel.)

Drawing: The hand goes to weapon, the web of hand seats high on the back strap (revolvers) or tight under the grip tang (automatics), fingers lock down and as you draw the thumb locks down, LOCK your wrist. Accomplished correctly you will feel the muscle along the forearm quiver a tad, this is the “prime” grip.*
(Picture in your mind an old pitcher pump or well pump.)

Keeping the elbow IN, do not let it flop around, draw the elbow straight up so the handgun clears the holster (priming/drawing water), as the handgun clears you push the elbow straight down and foreword, (flushing the pump). For some this works better when dropping the shoulder a tad ala Bill Jordan.
Now as the draw is completed you may choose where to lock in and shoot. You may go to the top of the holster, slightly forward at the hipbone, again forward to the side of the belly (for us fat guys), or even all the way out to the navel. Kind of like the old FBI crouch, Bryce inspired in my opinion.

The support hand can be just about anywhere but I was taught to have it up and into the chest/gut area in case needed. This all done with the hand and wrist locked, arm/elbow locked into the body.

If needed you continue to push the gun forward and up to the sights for distance shooting (re-priming the pump).”

*Note: Currently, with large frame double-column pistols, the tight grip and locked wrist are all the more important. This is because for some people the “prime” grip is not possible. Therefore, it follows that as long as the wrist is locked, the grip solid and tight, the recoil still flows along the arm. The only thing left to do is find the body point that fits you and the weapon used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kilogulf59’s Note: To explain EU/ED’s usage in my own words and as I understand it, it is a simple technique of drawing which gives one the ability to fire instantly upon completion, if necessary. For example, based upon the time/distance factor, firing at the holster top (at ED) is the fastest shot possible for a particularly close distance. EU/ED is the starting point in the shooting continuum that finalizes itself with two-handed sighted fire. The “correct” point in this continuum at which one decides to shoot is not chiseled in stone. It is however, based upon the individuals skill, ability, and comfort level. It is just that simple folks…as can be seen from the photos below.

This technique will clear the dust for some and re inforce good training for others. I wanted to share this with those most competent on this forum.............2HOW

Read more: http://kilogulf59.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=recent#ixzz1WX4coWml
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

Re: EU/ED
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
Sounds like the technique Bob Mundon uses.
With the speed he exhibits he can't be using many muscles, there just isn't enough time for them to function.
Also, he seems to be able to fire any time after the muzzle clears the edge of the holster.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Sounds like the technique Bob Mundon uses.
With the speed he exhibits he can't be using many muscles, there just isn't enough time for them to function.
Also, he seems to be able to fire any time after the muzzle clears the edge of the holster.

that's the point shooting part of the draw. The whole draw stroke is so important, and can be used in many ways.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
It is, IMHO, something that one who carries a pistol for SD needs to know.
I liken it, in a way, to the "speed rock" technique in several ways (may be a few dissimilarities). It is designed for close, fast SD work when you have to shoot NOW (ASAP after clearing the holster and body parts) and don't have time to go to two hands.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
It is, IMHO, something that one who carries a pistol for SD needs to know.
I liken it, in a way, to the "speed rock" technique in several ways (may be a few dissimilarities). It is designed for close, fast SD work when you have to shoot NOW (ASAP after clearing the holster and body parts) and don't have time to go to two hands.

Right Peg, it allows you to shoot all the way from 1/4 hip to full extension.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:03:06 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
To put it in "practical terms ", that would be
"it allows you to shoot all the way from 1/4 hip the snake at your feet  to full extension  the critter at 25 yards."

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
To put it in "practical terms ", that would be
"it allows you to shoot all the way from 1/4 hip the snake at your feet  to full extension  the critter at 25 yards."

Been there............."SN------BLAM BLAM BLAM-------AKE"............... ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »

Been there............."SN------BLAM BLAM BLAM-------AKE"............... ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
You still have to beat my backwards, over the shoulder, piroutte with a twenty gauge when my "loyal" dog locked up on the biggest rattler I'd ever seen, and I discoverd him about three feet from my boot when I waded in to kick the "quail" out of the brush. I should have shot that damn dog with the second barrell. She always did have a shifty look about her. ;D
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk