Author Topic: Meat and Taters!  (Read 9559 times)

Timothy

Meat and Taters!
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
1st off, I can cook!  Been doing it nearly all my life...

I put my home fried potato's up against the best diner food you've ever had!

Tonight, I'm sated by the simplest form of dinner!  Just finished an "on the fly" tasty treat!

Marinade a pound or less of sirloin tips or tri-tips in a good marinade!  I make a damn good one but I found a Texas marinade from Stubbs that is fine and tasty if you care for a bit of heat with your meat!

Take a one pound tater in a hot cast iron skillet, a couple tablespoons of canola oil an a pat of butter.  Season with salt and pepper and saute/fry for 8-10 minutes.  Add about a half of sweet Vadalia onion and season again with fresh garlic, salt and a liberal amount of smoked paprika!  Don't skimo on cheap paprika, it's worth it to buy the better stuff.

Let the taters come to fork tender and set aside.  Bring the skillet up to smoking and add the beef and saute until your desired level of doneness and enjoy!  

One pan, one process and one level of satisfaction!

ps  invest in a good Lodge skillet, you will not be disappointed!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: Meat and Taters!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Sounds good and I'll second the Lodge skillet. After several years of seasonig buildup mine's almost non-stick.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

david86440

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »

One pan, one process and one level of satisfaction!

ps  invest in a good Lodge skillet, you will not be disappointed!

So you are saying I need to replace my Griswold with a Lodge??

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:24:08 AM »

Nope!   ;)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:58:39 AM »

YES!!! And then send that nasty old POS Griswold to me, I know how to "dispose " of them properly!!!! ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:55:25 AM »

Timothy

Cast Iron
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Cast iron over the years has become my "go-to" cookware for a number of reasons. 

First, my Mom used an old Griswold dutch over for most everything from popcorn to chili and stews. 

Second, she bought my wife and I a LeCrueset deep skillet in 1984, the year we got married and I've supplemented that with a huge Lecrueset omelet pan for about five bucks at a flea market, my Lodge 12" skillet and another Lodge griddle skillet.  I'm looking at a dutch oven too.  For the price of the Lodge stuff, pre-seasoned, you can't go wrong.

With those four pieces, I can make darn near anything and they'll outlive me, I have no doubt.  I'm always looking for more stuff as New England is rife with flea markets and yard sales.  Having access to a sand blaster doesn't hurt either.  I can take a hundred year old skillet and make it look brandy new and re-season it overnight.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:16 PM »
Don't use any kind of soap on your cast iron when you wash it or food will stick. My ex ran one of my skillets through the dishwasher and I had to keep reseasoning it.  >:(  There was a big spot on it that took a few years to get good and black again.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
do you know why grandmas cast iron skillet cooks food great?   some of her cooking is still in it.

<<<<<<< loves cast iron.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »
Don't use any kind of soap on your cast iron when you wash it or food will stick. My ex ran one of my skillets through the dishwasher and I had to keep reseasoning it.  >:(  There was a big spot on it that took a few years to get good and black again.

To clean mine, I always scrub it with course salt and a little water while it's a still-warm (not hot) skillet.  It loosens anything that might stick, but doesn't affect the skillet's seasoning.  Then a good rinse to get ALL the salt off, and I put it back on a low burner for a couple of minutes to dry completely.  A quick swish with a paper towel and a bit of lard, and it goes back in the cupboard until next time.

You could actually use "soap" once in awhile, but detergent is a strict no-no.  Soap won't cut the grease like detergent does.  It's better not to use either.

FWIW

Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
Love cast iron cookware too.

Did yas know  how it get totally "seasoned"?

The way I heard it is that as it heats up, the metal expands and the microscopic imperfections open up and are filled while cooking.  Then they close up when it cools, semi-permanently trapping the particles.  As it is used and raised to a high temperature the particles are carbonized in there and any gaps filled in while it is hot and expanded.

Sounds plausible.  
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk