Author Topic: New Kimber SOLO Fail.  (Read 22145 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1064
Re: New Kimber SOLO Fail.
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:51 PM »
One would also think that a reputable dealer would certainly make this info about ammo use known before the gun was purchased....but I would bet many do not.

*Edit: I make the above statement based on the probability that many "splurge" gun buyers (you would probably be surprised at the number) do not dig as deeply into the qualities of a particular gun, as many on here do before jumping in and buying. Most rely solely on information provided by the gun monger at the time of purchase. We would all probably be amazed at the number of dealers that are also unaware of the ammo specifications dictated by Kimber for the Solo.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
One would also think that a reputable dealer would certainly make this info about ammo use known before the gun was purchased....but I would bet many do not.

*Edit: I make the above statement based on the probability that many "splurge" gun buyers (you would probably be surprised at the number) do not dig as deeply into the qualities of a particular gun, as many on here do before jumping in and buying. Most rely solely on information provided by the gun monger at the time of purchase. We would all probably be amazed at the number of dealers that are also unaware of the ammo specifications dictated by Kimber for the Solo.

+1 to that! 

Bass Pro Shops here in MA is a great case in point, Cabelas in Hartford depending on the time of day too...

My local FFL that I work with is MA SP who's pretty good but I'm always more inclined to do all of my own research.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
+1 To doing one's research on any firearm. Especially the "new" models. Many found that out with the "pistol that shall not be named", and a couple others.

I did a lot of research on my first 9mm purchase, FNP 9, and found a rental range with one and test drove it. Same with my going to the dark side G21 purchase. After seeing so many methods of torture and abuse, and it kept going bang, when the opportunity presented itself, I took a big swig and bought it.

IMHO, a professional retailer, should take the time to give you ALL of the skinny on a pistol, but we all know that varies, and customer service, even big box stores, don't always have the info or skills to provide such info.

I also thought that changing the recoil spring to a Wolff, might change the "flexibility" of ammo, but a 9 is a 9, until you get to +P or +P+ hot loads.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
Did any body establish what the issue is with the Solo to make it so ammo sensitive ?

stiff recoil spring maybe?
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SJPrice

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 06:07:50 AM »
My good experience continues.  I received and installed my Crimson Trace grips for my new Solo Carry.  I took rough aligned them in my usual manner so the laser travels "parallel" to the bullet path.  I headed out to my range, put several shots downrange at 10 yards and made the final adjustments to the laser.  I then put 75 rounds of Hornady 115 grain Critical Defense through it using the laser, the sights and both switching randomly between them.  When I was finished, I had a fist sized hole chewed in the target.  AND I now have over two hundred reliable rounds through my Solo.  No FTE's, no FTF's no hiccups.  My only concern, and it is getting slightly better as I use it, is the magazine release is overly stiff when I try to eject a magazine with more than a couple of rounds left.  I will discuss this with Kimber if it does not sort itself out over time.  I plan to sit for a few minutes and work it today to see if it "polishes" to a smoother operation.  Overall I can say the great features of the Solo are the size, the grip angle, the accuracy and most of all the trigger.  The trigger is smooth and makes it easy to use the inherent accuracy.  I will keep you posted as I increase my round count.  I would like to hear from folks recommending 124 grain defense loads for the Solo.  Especially performance through shorter barrels like the Solo.  Thank you!

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 07:17:41 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »
Look, has there ever been a thread on any board that was titled "Glock fail"? Or for that matter "Smith J frame fail" or "Bond Arms fail"? The answer is no. End of discussion. Kimber screwed the pooch. Its up to them to fix this and the longer they spend trying to "defend" an unreliable pistol by making idiotic arguments about how being ammo sensetive is NOT a lability, the less likely I am to buy any of their products. Hell, a Les Baer isn't that much more, and an RIA is a whole lot cheaper. and they both go bang with whatever you feed them. Meanwhile my Glock eats whatever I give give it. So, sorry Kimber, but this is not a small issue.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
Look, has there ever been a thread on any board that was titled "Glock fail"? Or for that matter "Smith J frame fail" or "Bond Arms fail"? The answer is no. End of discussion. Kimber screwed the pooch. Its up to them to fix this and the longer they spend trying to "defend" an unreliable pistol by making idiotic arguments about how being ammo sensetive is NOT a lability, the less likely I am to buy any of their products. Hell, a Les Baer isn't that much more, and an RIA is a whole lot cheaper. and they both go bang with whatever you feed them. Meanwhile my Glock eats whatever I give give it. So, sorry Kimber, but this is not a small issue.
FQ13

Do these count ?

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=10137.0

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=1643.0

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=1698.0

We have one opinion from SJPrice, any one else shooting the Solo ?
Is this a valid problem, or, like most of the recent recalls, just some crap the lawyers came up with ?

Timothy

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
Did you include the Glock frame split where the kid shot himself through the hand?

tombogan03884

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »
Did you include the Glock frame split where the kid shot himself through the hand?

Missed that one when I searched the archive  ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
I don't own a Kimber but I must say that I saw an article in my NRA mag about the solo and it is clearly discussed in the article that the weapon is designed to operate with a restricted list of ammo. AND that the springs are recommended replaced at brief intervals. I would guess, though, that info doesn't get to the average sales guy at the gun shops unless they read up on every new piece that comes in the store. I've been to plenty of places where I knew more about what I was looking at than the counter guy did, and I'm no expert.

I don't think Kimbers are worth the pricing but I have to say that I find the SOLO very attractive. I wish more manufacturers would move toward that style of finishing because it's a great CC package.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk