Author Topic: National Reciprocity?  (Read 19028 times)

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: National Reciprocity?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
My previous comments:

This bill is not good for gun owners because it proposes to have the federal government make law where it has no Constitutional authority to do so. Nowhere in the Constitution is the federal government authorized to legislate about how states deal with concealed carry of firearms. This is a states rights issue under the 9th and 10th amendments. It makes for a warm and fuzzy feeling when the feds violate the law and it benefits gun owners, but what happens when/if the feds decide to make a new law saying that there can be no reciprocity between any states? It is a dangerous precedent to cede authority to the feds just because it is favorable at this moment. The consequences down the road are never good.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
My previous comments:

This bill is not good for gun owners because it proposes to have the federal government make law where it has no Constitutional authority to do so. Nowhere in the Constitution is the federal government authorized to legislate about how states deal with concealed carry of firearms. This is a states rights issue under the 9th and 10th amendments. It makes for a warm and fuzzy feeling when the feds violate the law and it benefits gun owners, but what happens when/if the feds decide to make a new law saying that there can be no reciprocity between any states? It is a dangerous precedent to cede authority to the feds just because it is favorable at this moment. The consequences down the road are never good.

FIFY.  The more I hear the less I like this law.  I do NOT want to give 'them' ANY control of guns.  PERIOD!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »
FIFY.  The more I hear the less I like this law.  I do NOT want to give 'them' ANY control of guns.  PERIOD!

I don't have any dual control guns.  By the time I get my hand wrapped around the grip, and if it is a long gun, a hand on the fore stock there is no room for anyone else to have any control.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am2

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

They do have some authority over guns though.

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
One concern is the NRA is really, really, pushing/lobbying hard for this.

Yet calling the ATF, (and really big fires), an incompetent agency full of bureaucrats and thugs.....

However, what Federal agency would likely head up a Nat. Reciprocity Law????

"Red Flag Alert"!!!!

Duh!....
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:34:15 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
I have a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD feeling that this is gonna bite us in the ass!

We are gonna lose much of the gains we have made over this, you watch.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
Pick a state with the most restrictive laws vs Vermont or Alaska and what do we think will be the result?

I'd tolerate Massachusetts laws over New Jersey, Maryland, California et al.....

I thought it would be different in CT but I lived there for 13 months without a license because it's become a PITA to get the permit process complete.  It looks easy but it was a bitch...

MA was simple by comparison.  I've decided that in about 10 years or sooner, I'll be in NH with an angry Marine as my next door neighbor.   ;)

I'd say that unless we get something that no one expects, we should leave things alone.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
, I'll be in NH with an angry Marine as my next door neighbor. 

But those kids will darn sure stay off the lawn.... ;)

Either way, the emails I get from the NRA, give me "alerts" regarding this legislation...That I need to support this or contribute to that....

I think it's a red herring, with ramifications I don't need or want the Fed involved with....Let's keep our State sanctioned reciprocity.

and the rest can piss up a rope.....One election, one blip of another mistake, (like BHO), can suddenly change the order of things.

Gee, like I really need Harry Reid, sanctioning a National "anything"....

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
Some of you check other forums as well, what is the opinion of this else where ?

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
Pick a state with the most restrictive laws vs Vermont or Alaska and what do we think will be the result?

I'd tolerate Massachusetts laws over New Jersey, Maryland, California et al.....

I'd say that unless we get something that no one expects, we should leave things alone.

That was what I was thinking too.  Trying to treat it like a drivers license would never work, to many states with a LOT of votes, even with gun friendly Congressmen,  would never sign off on it.
Also I'd bet that part of making it "national" would mean a database that they woud be more than happy to give out to the highest bidder.   
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk