Author Topic: Pistol Caliber Carbine for HD  (Read 12510 times)

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pistol Caliber Carbine for HD
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Right now I'm using 44 mag/special for both a handgun and a carbine.  I just like 44s.  Second shot usually not required.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I shoot .40 and .45 and look forward to finding a hi-point carbine in either caliber , makes alot of sense to have 1 round for 2 firearms.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »
Using the same mag for both is just so conveinient.  I am honestly not crazy about a pistol cal. carbine,  so I am looking for more of a reason to pass up a 5.56 for another .40
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

mward58

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
I was actually thinking about buying the CX4 for the simple fact that it will accept the same mags as my .40 PX4.  I really like the idea of having a matched set (pistol & rifle).  I really enjoy my 10/22 and Mark II setup.  However I am somewhat skeptical of pistol caliber carbine.  I guess what Im getting at is what are the pro's and con's of rifle in pistol caliber?

If you like to shoot alot the pistol caliber is a lot less expensive than rifle calibers. That is why I bought the Keltec to take to the range with my PX4. Also lever guns in pistol caliber are fun and less expensive to shoot as well. I also have a Marlin 1894c chambered in 357 magnum. The carbine also has a shorter barrel which makes it more maneuverable for tacticle uses like shooting bouncing beer cans.

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
A pistol caliber carbine hits harder and is easier to hit with at any range than a pistol. Can shoot them at indoor ranges as cheaply as your pistol. Makes a better club when it's empty too. ;)

Easier on your ears and shoulder than the SG. Easier on the house and furniture if you miss and/or overpenetrate the bad guy.

I've long liked lever guns in 38/357/44. From my Marlin carbine the 125s do over 2000 fps, the 145 Silvertip over 1800, the Rem 165 over 1700. Magtech's 95g SCHP screamed out at over 2200!

I've put several thousand trouble free rounds through a CX4 9mm and like it too. The Win 115 USA FMJ/JHP and Speer 115 GD do about 1325 fps from it.  The 124 GD and GS about 1250, the 124 +P GD about 1350.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:46:12 PM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
I think a pistol caliber carbine is a better alternative than people give it credit for. Little bump in velocity, much easier controllability, ammo interchangeability, etc.

Am fond of the .44 Mag/.44 Special lever gun for many of the reasons mentioned here. An additional advantage is I typically load the .44 carbine with a heavier bullet, hotter hunting load (Winchester 250-gr Platinum, 'cause that's what I've got the most of right now; an equal alternative would be the Buffalo Bore "Reduced Recoil" — HA! — 250-gr lead Keith loads) that would be stiff in a handgun but is easy in the carbine. Gives me 9 (in the Winchester Trapper) hard-hitting rounds, backed with 240-gr JHPs for the reloads and the revolver.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »
Cant argue with the lever choice MB but the common man may get a better bang out of the semi loaders in a lesser more common caliber.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »
I like the idea of a pistol caliber carbine, and If Kel-Tec would get off their ass and make a SUB 2000 that took GLOCK 21, or better yet, Glock 30 mags, I'd buy one as soon as they came out!  Yeah, a pistol caliber carbine won't let you take down an elk 300 or 400 yards, but at 21 feet down the hall or across the living room Shooting that far don't matter (It doesn't in MY house anyway.). And besides, a Model 92 was good enough for John Wayne!!! ;D
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
I'd buy into a .45 ACP carbine if there was one that didn't have a loony and maybe that used readily available Thompson or Grease Gun magazines. Heck, even an alloy-framed Thompson with plastic furniture (I think the ones with wood furniture come in at, like 8 pounds versus the one-ton that my steel Auto-Ordnance clocks in at).

I'm liking the Thompson pistol with a 50 or 100 round drum...by golly, there's a bedroom gun for you!

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_ta5_f.html

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »

I'm liking the Thompson pistol with a 50 or 100 round drum...by golly, there's a bedroom gun for you!

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_ta5_f.html

Michael B

Im thinking maybe an IWB carry gun or maybe a car gun!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk