Author Topic: Maintenance of AR-15  (Read 7652 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Maintenance of AR-15
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:18:25 AM »
One other thing I've found as far as the gas tube, is before you run an oily patch through the barrel, take a long pipe cleaner and soak it in Hoppes #9 before running it through the gas tube. Then just leave it. The stuff will soak in and loosen a lot of the crap that sticks to the wall of the gas tube. The next time you go to the range with the rifle, do it again the night before you go to the range if you can remember.

When you shoot a lot of the crap that was in the tube will blow right out the ejection port with your first couple of shots. This really works well if you do shoot a lot of rapid fire, and get the gas tube very hot. The Hoppe's #9 really helps over time to soften all of that crusty hard crap. Then, 55,000 PSI of gas pressure will really help get rid of it.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!  As for the gas tube, I did not think of that, how do you get to it in order to clean it?  Does it involve removing the gas black and taking it completely off or is there are way to clean it in place with a pipecleaner?
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
One other thing I've found as far as the gas tube, is before you run an oily patch through the barrel, take a long pipe cleaner and soak it in Hoppes #9 before running it through the gas tube. Then just leave it. The stuff will soak in and loosen a lot of the crap that sticks to the wall of the gas tube. The next time you go to the range with the rifle, do it again the night before you go to the range if you can remember.

When you shoot a lot of the crap that was in the tube will blow right out the ejection port with your first couple of shots. This really works well if you do shoot a lot of rapid fire, and get the gas tube very hot. The Hoppe's #9 really helps over time to soften all of that crusty hard crap. Then, 55,000 PSI of gas pressure will really help get rid of it.

This is the opposite of what I learned in the Marines and in Army schools, where we were taught to keep the gas tube desert dry to avoid building up "gunk".
However Bill has a point about the gas pressure, beats the crap out of blowing it out with an air gun.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
As for the gas tube, I did not think of that, how do you get to it in order to clean it?  Does it involve removing the gas black and taking it completely off or is there are way to clean it in place with a pipecleaner?

The end is visible when you field strip the gun. Shiny aluminum tube above the chamber.
Brownell's has long pipe cleaners that you can feed into it with a hemostat or needle nose pliers.
I've never 'cleaned' one, I used to use the pipe cleaners for a plug when I used a foaming bore cleaner. Now I use Patch Out liquid and don't mess with it.
Like Tom, I leave it dry.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
Another thing I do is take a plastic hypo full of Hoppe's #9 and inject it directly into the gas tube with the muzzle of the upper pointed downward over a garbage can. When you see Hoppe's dripping out of the muzzle you've pretty much soaked it. I've heard of guys using Easy Off Oven Cleaner for this task, but that is a little drastic. Hoppe's # 9 left in the gas tube will really help in removing most of it.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:01:20 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
I think the actual pressure at the bolt key on a short M4 (14.5") is around 125psi, and a standard length M16 around 100psi.. the intermediate taps are about in the middle...not sure on a M4 Mk 18 with 10.3"

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »
As a former USAF SP Armorer, I would not get any oil in the gas tube. I would keep the pipe cleaners dry.

If you properly maintain, clean and lubricate your AR-15, it should last you forever. But I would keep a spring and pin replacement kit handy since they are easily lost and the springs wear down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk