Author Topic: Inherited 7.65 x 54 1891 Argentine Mauser; Question  (Read 9374 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Inherited 7.65 x 54 1891 Argentine Mauser; Question
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »
My Grandfather recently passed away, and "took" this rifle in WWII. He always said how well it shot, even with no scope, and wanted me to have it.

Well, it does. It will shoot a playing card stapled to a tree at 50 yards, and take a chunk of tree with it. Military surplus 187 grain FMJ  shoots like a champ. although with a metal butt stock it hurts the shoulder after 10-15 rounds. It is no joke when fired!

The bolt is "a man's action" (sorry Marshall'ette), True mil spec action; a limp or weak cycle will work you, not the rifle.

I also inherited an ammo box of Norma rounds, and some surplus berdan primed ammo with stripper clips manufactured in 1987.

QUESTION: Is there a way to replace the metal butt stock or "sporterize" it to be more user friendly.
                What's the difference between 7.65x54 or 7.65x53mm rounds, I've seen both described in research, and can't get a                                 
                definitive answer.

This rifle I'd like to hand down to my son one day with as much knowledge about it as possible, it was designed for one purpose, it is not designed for comfort, but if I shot it more be a d*** tack driver.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Still trying to get pics online, hope this works.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
Re: Inherited 7.65 x 54 1891 Argentine Mauser; Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
Nice rifle!!!

A buddy of mine got me interested in milsurps...now I'm a big fan of the Mosin Nagants in 7.62x54R. Check out SurplusRifle.com. They have a lot of good information (history, dissassembly, etc...).

http://www.surplusrifle.com/argentine1891/index.asp

-KP
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »
Thank you! Thank you!

It's a wonderful link, I was wondering how to break down the bolt to clean, and being a picture guy, this helped immensely!

Thanks again!
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »
I had one on those as kid, 13yrs old, and neither I nor my dad knew anything back then about Mauser actions. No one told me I should not load single rounds into the chamber and close the bolt, VOILA, broken extractor >:(  But being 13, I just shot it, pulled the bolt back, turned the action upside down and shook like hell. If you don't already know, ALWAYS, load from the magazine. :-[

By the way that rifle did shoot very well, with surplus 1940's corrosive ammo, that my dad nor I knew about either, but that's another story.

As far as the stock go's, you can put a good slip on pad, like Pachmeyer, or cut it and fit a screw on yourself, but the original straight stock design will still put a lot of pressure to the shoulder. As a shooting rifle and not keeping it original, I would look at some after market sporter stocks like Fajen, or Boyds. They can be found at Midway Usa, even an adjustable trigger!!
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
I had one on those as kid, 13yrs old, and neither I nor my dad knew anything back then about Mauser actions. No one told me I should not load single rounds into the chamber and close the bolt, VOILA, broken extractor >:(  But being 13, I just shot it, pulled the bolt back, turned the action upside down and shook like hell. If you don't already know, ALWAYS, load from the magazine. :-[

By the way that rifle did shoot very well, with surplus 1940's corrosive ammo, that my dad nor I knew about either, but that's another story.

As far as the stock go's, you can put a good slip on pad, like Pachmeyer, or cut it and fit a screw on yourself, but the original straight stock design will still put a lot of pressure to the shoulder. As a shooting rifle and not keeping it original, I would look at some after market sporter stocks like Fajen, or Boyds. They can be found at Midway Usa, even an adjustable trigger!!

Just thought I'd throw a few pics, my grandfather sporterized it in the 50's. As a Texas boy with an engineering degree from MIT, and a WWII Nay veteran, he dialed this old girl in to literally shoot a playing card at any yardage you can see it with iron sights.

Basically, if your that good, its that good. It kicks hard, will get a sleeve for the metal butt plate, ammo isn't bad, Norma is always high but if I did hunt, I've been told it will work for anything in NC, or two legged creatures that want to start trouble,

Bolt is tight and right with no issues at all. Built like they should be. Stripper clips help., and I will pass this on to my son one day.

Thanks for the post. the upside down shook thing was funny.

Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:18:01 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk