Author Topic: .300 Blackout. Hickok .45 Approved. Man I Want This Guys Yard!!  (Read 35897 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: .300 Blackout. Hickok .45 Approved. Man I Want This Guys Yard!!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 03:48:05 AM »
My 7.62X39 AR ran like a top with the two original mags that came with it... With American Eagle made by Federal brass cased ammo.

Maybe you guys can correct me, but the last time I was at a gunshow pricing imported ammo it was running about twenty-five cents a round.

I saved all my brass.  I can get bullet heads for 11 cents each.  Primers are about 3 cents each.  So I have about 11 cents left over ( versus imported steel cased stuff) for gun powder.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 04:35:34 AM »
I think what makes the .300 Blackout so appealing is everything remains the same except the barrel. The only problem I see is ammo cost. The 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, and most of the other specialty AR-15 rounds haven't come down much in price, if at all. If they can get $30.00 a box, they are going to be slow to lower it.

For this round to work for the average shooter cost wise, they are going to have to make their own brass. That in itself doesn't seem like too much of an undertaking at this point, because .223 / 5.56 MM brass is very cheap. 2,000 rounds of once fired military can be had for around $100.00 if you shop around. Cutting off and forming the cases would go quickly if one were to invest in a small bench lathe, "Shop Smith", etc. Once cut off, everything else can be accomplished with standard reloading equipment. If it isn't loaded to the redline, brass should last quite a while with this round.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:24 AM »
................. because .223 / 5.56 MM brass is very cheap. 2,000 rounds of once fired military can be had for around $100.00 if you shop around. Cutting off and forming the cases would go quickly if one were to invest in a small bench lathe, "Shop Smith", etc. Once cut off, everything else can be accomplished with standard reloading equipment. If it isn't loaded to the redline, brass should last quite a while with this round.

You don't even have to buy brass.  Go to the local rifle range and ask all the wanna-be Rambos is you can have their brass.   I could bring home three to four hundred rounds each visit easily if I asked.   

If someone doesn't already, I imagine there will be a cut-off die soon that allows you to precisely cut the brass to the right length before reforming it.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
why did I just look at that video

it is just like going to the Strippers  you can look but don't touch or Bubba will sort you out....

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 05:53:14 AM »
You don't even have to buy brass.  Go to the local rifle range and ask all the wanna-be Rambos is you can have their brass.

I used to do that at my club range, and still do, but it's getting to be slimmer and slimmer pickins. A lot of the mall ninjas have gone to steel cased crap for all of their blasting. I got lucky a few weeks ago and a bunch of cops showed up with their AR Patrol Rifles and proceeded to burn through several hundred rounds. I asked if they would mind if I picked up their brass and they said not at all. As soon as they left I was crawling around like a little rodent grabbing every case I could get my hands on!

Sponsor

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »
As for the ballistic debate with Tyler,....it's simple..."Bigger Bullets, Make Bigger Holes",....

DESIGN OBJECTIVES

• Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for the AR platform
  • Utilize existing inventory magazines while retaining their full capacity
  • Create the optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire
  • Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62x39 ballistics
  • Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles
  • Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package

REASONS 7.62x39 wAS NOT CONSIDERED

Extreme cartridge taper
    • Reduces reliability of feeding in AR Magazines
    • Reduces Magazine capacity
    • Cartridge taper induces considerably higher bolt thrust-
      exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    • Requires a larger Bolt Face which reduces Bolt Locking Lug strength-
      exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
  Limited projectile selection
    • 0.311" diameter not a common option in most modern bullets

At 300 meters, 300 BLK has 16.7% more energy than 7.62x39mm. Max effective range, using M4 military standards for hit probability, is 440 meters for a 9 inch barrel, and 460 meters for a 16 inch barrel. 300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters - even though the barrel is much shorter.

http://300aacblackout.com/

Remington has the dominant block of ammo, but if it catches on, like I think it will, more manufacturers will "jump in" guaranteed.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
It is all about the marketing.

Everything new is old again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
It is all about the marketing.

Everything new is old again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper

And about timing - the time is ripe. And let's not forget it's also about NOT making your round proprietary. Alexander Arms had to learn that lesson the hard way with the Grendel. I would imagine people at SSK are throwing things at the wall right now, yelling - Hey, that's our idea!!!! Too bad, the market has passed you by.

Instead, AAC - a fairly well known and respected outfit - put it out to the public via SAAMI with no strings. So, name company, excellent idea for a round, and it's free.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
at that wiki link above:
Trademark

"Whisper" is a registered trademark of SSK Industries. In order to sidestep this branding (and/or any licensing fees required to use the "Whisper" name legally), other manufacturers tend to use different names for the same cartridge, such as ".300 warrior carbine", ".300 Fireball" or ".300-221", both based on the .221 Fireball parent case.
[edit]See also

Yeah, I have an old edition of the "A,B,C's of Reloading".  Inside it as a pretty indepth/good essay on J.D. Jones and the .300 Whisper. 
I started reloading in 1994.  So I bought that copy of A,B,C's of Reloading in probably like 1995 or 1996.

The other part of marketing is of course attaching your brand to it.  Calling it the .300 AAC Blackout was smart....very smart.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »
S&W's new M&P 15 AR platform is offering the .300 Whisper that will also shoot the .300 BLK.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_799047_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

That's one big name manufacturer, more will follow,....just like Ruger did with the SR556....

Good for S&W to see a good thing early...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk