Author Topic: Ruger Mini 30,.. Thoughts, Opinions? Prior to Purchase.  (Read 14114 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Ruger Mini 30,.. Thoughts, Opinions? Prior to Purchase.
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
From the Suarez Newsletter

Tom Cornelius - Suarez International Staff

If you read the rifle section on Warrior Talk, you notice that there is a pretty steady flow of questions concerning the Mini-14's usefulness and capabilities as a defensive or fighting rifle. There are close to a million Mini-14 rifles out there and my guess is they are selling pretty well as of late.

What it is.

The Ruger Mini-14 was first produced in the mid-70's with a blued finish, wood stock, and course peep sights. They have always been light, handy rifles that are easy to carry and shoot. Think scaled-down M-14 at 6lbs. You can find these rifles in gun safes, pickup trucks, the corner of a ranch workshop and in a person's home as a fighting rifle. A lot
has been said about the mini -14 being inaccurate or unreliable...I think these notions need to be put to rest.

The Mini-14 is not and will never be as accurate as a tier one AR-15 at longer ranges. However, when used at the distances were most fights take place accuracy is just fine. Think "minute of man" not "minute of angle." Almost all reliability issues with the Mini-14 can be traced to after market magazines. If you stick with Ruger factory 20-30rd magazines your Mini-14 is gonna run. Another feature these rifles have is very little sensitivity concerning what ammunition they are fed. I have shot everything from 40 grain soft points to 69 grain match , and plenty of steel cased ammo through a 580 Series rifle without a hitch.

The current generation of Mini-14 rifles are designated 580 Series. The differences from the Mini's of the past are: Factory flash hiders on rifles available to civilians, thicker barrels, front sights that are similar to M-14 front sights, rear sights that similar to the "ghost ring " concept and an ejector that is fixed. There are also some factory Mini-14's that can be had with a pistol grip and folding buttstock.

Attributes: Light

Reasonably reliable

Accurate enough for fighting

Not ammunition sensitive

BUT...

The Mini 14 does not have.

The ruggedness of an AK

The reliability of an AK

The availability of uncountable sources for magazines + spare parts

Most do not have a rugged pistol grip stock(firearms with a pistol grip are superior in a CQB fight.)

So Here's The Deal

Get an AK... But if that's not going to happen for whatever reason and you have a Mini-14, try this.

1. Use factory 20-30 round magazines.

2. Get a sling on your Mini (I like the MASH hook style from O.S.T.)

3 Have a method for keeping extra magazines with you. ( A rifle fighting bag is probably the best thing you could have for this duty)

L.E. Keeney

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
Where might one find decent, reliable 20 and 30 round mags for the mini 30? I dont think ruger markets civilian ones.

Thats the main thing that has kept me from searching one out.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
Where might one find decent, reliable 20 and 30 round mags for the mini 30? I dont think ruger markets civilian ones.

Plus the fact you can get an AK for 2/3 the price with all the mags you want. I love Ruger and I like the Garand look of the mini, but its one rifle I will give a pass to, particularly in the 30. You can find mags for the 14, but the thirty is harder and more expensive. If you want a medium range, accurate enough, takes a licking and keeps on ticking carbine, why not go with the original?
FQ13

TomS308

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 08:34:12 AM »
I wish a company like Cproducts would make 20 and 30 round mags for the Mini 30.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 08:10:31 AM »
One more really interesting thing I just learned about the Mini-30, and Mini-14;  I'd been looking around on other forums and saw where about a dozen people all said they were having very inconsistant shooting with these rifles and surplus ammo (high FTF rates).  One guy posted a letter he'd written to Ruger with a reply along the lines of.  "neither rifle was designed with the intent of using military primers".  Half a dozen guys followed that with saying it was surplus ammo they had problems with, & their rounds did go off after a second firing... :-\

My SKS, AK, and LR-308 all make scary dents in the Federal primers I use to hand load, and any other commerial ammo I've tried just from chambering the round.  After putting in a Murray's spring loaded firing pin in the SKS I've tested it to find it'll STILL dent the commercial primers pretty bad just from chambering them, but is now fine with military primers.

Keep this stuff in mind when you fire any military style semi-auto!  I've never had an accident from it, but it's an issue I take VERY seriously!!!

Not saying these guns are unsafe!  Just that if your using anything like them, try to keep in mind military firearms are designed to use military primers!  And if you've got a mini, and a pile of surplus ammo...  Maybe better to reserve them for killing paper at the range.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:52:15 AM »

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »

For the Mini 14 Ruger factory 20 and 30 round mags are readily avaiable, including from Ruger if they are not out of stock.

John Masen Co.  makes 30 round magazines for the Mini14 and has made 20 rounders in the past.  I have heard they are good magazines and are available from John Masen and Midway USA.  They may even be on sale at Midaway.

Saw a really nice looking  Mini 30 once that had been modified and had a M-14 front site with flash hider and bayonet lug on it.  That is what Ruger shoud have done with the Minis.  I thought I heard recently that a good Mini 30 magazine was coming out soon.  I don't remember who was making it though, may have been Cproducts , or even Ruger.

http://www.johnmasen.com/index.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/

Lot's of good Ruger Mini talk, tips, and tricks here:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Krazy Okie

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
I have had mine for over 3 years, do not expect it to be a tack driver, they are not made for that; if your looking for something to knock down a deer, pig and plink all day, or something that is two legged, it's great for that.  As to the cheap made overseas ammo, it shoots well enough for the plinking, I use it all the time for that without any problems, just make sure you do a good cleaning job when you finish.  Use Federal, Hornady or other primum ammo for hunting or social work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk